All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-10-2003, 12:50 PM

IconBoy is on a distinguished road
Convert 51.8 kB mp3 ringtone to wav format

After reading the thread http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7562 about OGG format, I just wanted to find out how to convert to wav format for a ringtone.

I used dBPowerAmp and chose 22.050 kHz, 16 bit Mono as the format for WAV, but the converted files size is 273 kB - which is over 5 times bigger than the original file.

What is the best format and size to use for ringtones? I would prefer not to have to install extra software just to play a ringtone, unless that is my only option.
Is there any SE software that I should use to convert the mp3 ringtone to a SEP800 format?
BTW - the ringtones are apparently from the P810/P900 see http://www.mobile-review.com/review/...-p900-en.shtml
Ads

Old 03-10-2003, 01:05 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
WAV is the only format other than "non musical (Midi)" that the P800 can play, there is no software to change this.

Wav isn't as compressed as Mp3 or OGG format...200-300kb isn't really that much for a ringtone in WAV format....Most of mine are around 500-700kb, but stored on the MS Duo it's not that much space really.

Old 03-10-2003, 01:11 PM

rb14 is on a distinguished road
I use Windows Sound Recorder (comes with just about every version of Windows in the universe). Import the wav, then File>Save As and in the Format "Change" box, used the format: IDA ADCPI with the Attributes: 22.050kHz, 4bit, mono (10kb/sec).

This reduces the size enormously and gives perfectly good quality for a ringtone. You're hardly expecting Hifi sound for that are you?

Old 03-10-2003, 03:46 PM

Me is on a distinguished road
Hey, I reformatted this three ringtones into WAV, they where originally MP3 and I got them from a P900 review, which makes me wonder if the P900 can use Mp3 as ringtones. Anyway, since you're dealing with ringtones I thought you might enjoy them. They're not the loudest but they're fun.

MMMmm. I can't seem to find a way to post this wav's, any ideas?

Old 03-10-2003, 06:23 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Me
Hey, I reformatted this three ringtones into WAV, they where originally MP3 and I got them from a P900 review, which makes me wonder if the P900 can use Mp3 as ringtones. Anyway, since you're dealing with ringtones I thought you might enjoy them. They're not the loudest but they're fun.

MMMmm. I can't seem to find a way to post this wav's, any ideas?
P900 can use MP3 as ringtone

Wav format is supported as I added it just the other day, but people seem to be having trouble uploading, either try "Zipping them up" or email them to me and i'll send you a link to where they are hosted.

Last edited by J2theIZZO; 03-03-2008 at 09:06 AM.

Old 05-10-2003, 09:41 AM

hAnDyGUY is on a distinguished road
but is there a maximum capacity of a wav file to work as a ringtone?
haven't tried adding new ones b4, but I think if u convert an MP3 file to WAV it'll get much bigger that owuld get the phone load the ring for about a minute, then start ringing (obviously after the called hangs up!!!)