All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-09-2003, 01:58 PM

Pagemakers is on a distinguished road
Multi-tasking

Will the 6600 Multi-task?

For example, if I am in the email program retrieving me email, can I switch to another program without the email program closing down?

Old 16-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Milti? -hehe..

Yes, Symbian is a true multitasking OS (unlike Palm).
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 17-09-2003, 06:59 AM

WiLDCHiLD is on a distinguished road
And it accually works quite great!

Looking forward to getting my n6600 in the next couple of weeks!

Old 17-09-2003, 09:24 AM

RobP is on a distinguished road
And I assume with Symbian it's quite good at organising the running tasks? I've got an SPV at the moment and it's a nightmare! You need to get hold of a 3rd party app task manager as it tends to leave things running which slows the phone down and eventually stops things from running!

Plus it would be nice to have a phone that starts an application up immediately rather than waiting for several seconds!
Ads

Old 17-09-2003, 09:30 AM

Rob I've got an SPV e100 as well and I'm looking to upgrade to the 6600.

Clearly though there are some things the SPV wins hands down (Today screen, better calendar, MSN etc).

I know all these can be added on to the Nokia, but it's a shame their not in the Symbian OS as standard.

The 6600 looks a great product. I guess only time will tell which is the true smartphone winner.

Old 17-09-2003, 10:00 AM

Yes, I've got the original SPV. Not a bad phone, but it's just got far too many little issues that annoy me! I also don't think I use most of the features so it's not really worth having over a more basic phone. Kind of begs the question of why I'm interested in a 6600...

Anyway, yes, the today screen is good, but I only use the program icons on it, although I will miss having my next appointment displayed, but if you've got an alarm to warn you in advance maybe it's not really needed...

I really only need a basic calendar, and it annoys me that to do anything slightly advanced you have to set it up in Outlook and sync the phone, I should be able to do everything from the phone!

I have had a look at MSN messenger, but I don't use it so no loss there.

I did get a bigger SD card and put music on the phone, but never did get round to getting a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack to connect it into things. And really, I much prefer using my minidisc player as it's far more flexible! I don't think I'll be impressed with mobile phones as music players until they put 10GB in them, then I could carry most of my CD collection with me!

I'm interested in the 6600, but will be looking at more basic models too when my 12 month contract runs out in November. Oh, also want to have a look at the SX1 and the SE phones (if the P810/p900/whatevertheyarecallingit is out by then).

Old 17-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
TANKERx wrote a SPV vs 7650 comparison a while ago.I'll try to hunt it down later on,you'll be glad you decided to upgrade to a Symbian Smarphone.

The comparison

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 17-09-2003, 01:45 PM

Hmm. Intersting reading.

Old 17-09-2003, 04:35 PM

Read through that article and was nodding away. It's not a bad phone, it's just that it isn't great either. I will look forward to upgrading later in the year.

Old 17-09-2003, 05:20 PM

JyriK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagemakers
Clearly though there are some things the SPV wins hands down (Today screen, better calendar, MSN etc).
I prefer the symbian way, so you can decide what you need, and you can choose the app that best suits your needs.
I have chosen:
HandyDay for "today screen" type app
IM+ for instant messaging
WebViewer for browsing

Only thing that should be integrated is that calendar search. But who knows what they include in 6600

Old 17-09-2003, 05:27 PM

Yes and no. I will probably purchase the same apps as you when I get my 6600, but I can't help thinking for a business phone, a today screen is a must. The Series 60 calendar feature is not the strongest, and add-on apps do not integrate as well as those built in to the OS.

Old 17-09-2003, 06:09 PM

Al3xandr3 is on a distinguished road
What do you mean by "add-on apps do not integrate as well as those built in to the OS."

Old 17-09-2003, 06:27 PM

I know it a bit of a generalisation and that probably unfair. Sorry.

What I mean is if you have all these add-ons to achieve a better OS, and they are all made my different software vendors (Handy day + Active Mail for example). How well do they work with each other. I'm sure not as well as if the features were built into the OS in the first place.

I am talking hypothetically since I don't have a Series 60 phone yet (until the 6600 arrives). I can only compare the features I like in the SPV E100 and wish were standard on the Series 60.

Today Screen (Series 60 add on)
Auto email synchronisation (Series 60 add on)
MSN (Series 60 add on)
Agenda day view. View a whole day's appointments without scrolling. (Series 60 add on)
Alarm time on Today screen (Series 60 add on)
HTML browser (Series 60 add on)
Shortcut keys to programs as well as contacts
Contacts category synchronisation with Outlook

Old 17-09-2003, 06:56 PM

Al3xandr3 is on a distinguished road
I know what you mean now. I don't know SPV but I'm sure Series 60 will impress you. I read the SPVvs7650 review and I couldn't believ the flaws of SPV. Of course, Series 60 could be better, but they never gave us everything... well about the "shortcut keys to applications", you have two different and quick ways. One is the "favourites" and the other one is "voice commands"< present in 6600. This way all you have to say is "games" and you're in the games directory!!!

Old 17-09-2003, 07:06 PM

I just wish they would hurry up and release the thing. The anticipation is driving me nuts.

Sad really :bday: