All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-08-2002, 02:10 PM

Device and Memory Card

Hey guys, I was just wondering, how much space can i free from my device? I mean, what folders can I transfer to my memory card from the system directory to optimize the performance of the device memory? I figured that since I upgraded to a 64mb card, maybe i can transfer some of the files from the System folder from the device to the memory card..now i need help with regards to what folders or apps would be safe to transfer without causing trouble with my 9210? as of now, my memory card has 40+ Mb free while my device has only 1.3MB free....help again pls! For example..can I transfer the "Install" folder from the device to the memory card?

Btw, tnx for helping me with my video player, the one i downloaded from the link you gave worked! tnx for that!

Old 09-08-2002, 08:51 PM

You can move your Messaging to the Card, that saves quite a lot of space, I believe this is all in the Manual, so a bit of RTFM might be in order...
Ads

Old 10-08-2002, 12:18 AM

N9210 is on a distinguished road
Move all the .SIS files from c:\system\install to d:\system\install - BUT leave the log file on the C: drive.

Old 10-08-2002, 05:18 AM

Nosferatu is on a distinguished road
If you have new ringtones/images... Have it saved in the MMC...
nosferatu@allaboutsymbian.com

Old 10-08-2002, 11:26 AM

upponalle is on a distinguished road
You can move the whole C:\Document folder to D:\, and like the other said all messages and all the sis files from the install folder except the log file.
When you install software always on D:\ so there will only be the ini file on C:\ (normally)

HTH,

Tilman

Old 11-08-2002, 04:53 PM

memory

i transfered the sis files already, i now have 1.8mb free..would that be enough? what else can i transfer? are the WavGo and Sidecalc folders standard in the device system memory? or should i delete them?

Old 14-08-2002, 10:03 AM

I don't know about these programmes, but you can as well move all the help files to D:\. I have 671 kb used memory and 3367 kb free memory at the moment.

Old 15-08-2002, 02:59 AM

thanks! wat else can i move? cant i move the whole system folder? or most of it at least? messaging? apps? sorry for the multitude of inquiries, i really don't know much about how to go about with this ..and i appreciate ur help guys!

Old 15-08-2002, 05:14 PM

I think the easiest is to tell what you still have on c:\.
By now you should have moved:
- all sis files except the log file from the install folder
- all help files
- all your messages (SMS, email) via the inbuilt functionality in Messaging

C:\system\apps should have mainly ini files and if there is something more I personally would leave it to be on the safe side.

C:\data, you can move your calendar file, the next time you will open Calendar it will create a new file, but if you leave that one empty, it will not take too much space.

If you survive without any links on your desk than you can minimize the contents of the favourites folder (maybe this one is moveable as well, but I don't think so).

If you uninstall your WAP browser, you should be able to take everything related to WAP off, but maybe this one needs some confirmation from someone, who has done it.

HTH,

Tilman

Old 16-08-2002, 01:28 AM

tnx again!
There is also an install folder located in the apps folder of c:/ ..i think its a subfolder of apps...could i move this one as well? the install folder that i moved earlier was that one in the one in the documents directory..and by the way, how do i move the messaging function?..i now have 2mb free, and still pushng..hopefully free up to 3mb..sheesh..

Old 16-08-2002, 07:59 AM

I guess I was not clear ennough, I meant the C:\System\Install folder. From there you can move everything to D:\System\Install except the install.log file. You might have to create the folder on D:\ yourself.

Moving of messages is simple. Go to Messaging and under Tools there is Message Storage (Shift+Ctrl+X). Go to Memory and change Memory in use from Communicator to Memory card and push done. I think it will ask you for a confirmation, but after that the whole messaging structure is moved to D:\ and there should be more space on C:\.

Old 16-08-2002, 08:06 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Silly point here, but isn;t the execution memory on the device completely seperate from the internal C: drive? If so, is all this moving stuff about for performance issues a bit of a moot point?
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 16-08-2002, 01:45 PM

done! wait..what do you mean execution memory? whats that? can you make execution faster? sorry, Im really not a techie, and I dont know much about my 9210, thus im currently exploring it..i really appreciate all the help guys! before i do anything stupid to my communicator, i wanted to consult with the experts first..thanks again! I just want to free as much space in the device..

Old 16-08-2002, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
You have 4 types of memory in the communicator, you have some solid state storage called C: you have your' MMC called D: you have a read-only memory called Z: and you have excecution memory.

D: is your main use for storage as it's removable and can come in various sizes.

Z: you cannot change as it just stores the EPOC Operating System.

C: Is only used to extract *.sis files to during installations and the only app that needs installing to it is filemanager imho.

The execution memory is where the programs on your 9210 (the same as the RAM in your PC).

The only advantage you will get from moving most of your apps from C: to D: is that you will not have to worry when installing large apps to your 9210 as there should be plenty of space on C: to extract the *.sis file to.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.