All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
UIQ an Interview with Johan Sandberg

Wireless Developer Network have published a very interesting interview with UIQ's Johan Sandberg. Where he outlines how he sees UIQ's position compared with Series 60 and where UIQ is going in the future. It also says they have unannounced licensees with several products in development. Well worth a read.

Old 04-09-2003, 10:53 AM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Great interview...thanks for sharing

Old 04-09-2003, 07:40 PM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
I keep thinking that Nokia might be one of these unannounced licensees. If they were ever going to build a touchscreen device why would they use anything else?

The article mentions the flexibilty of UIQ and the diversity of devices that were in development. Now 1/4 VGA touchscreen phone with a full QWERTY keyboard in a clamshell design sounds good to me

Well even if its not being done its a good hint to one of the existing or potential licensees

Old 04-09-2003, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by langdona
Now 1/4 VGA touchscreen phone with a full QWERTY keyboard in a clamshell design sounds good to me
Hear, Hear! A clamshell design (to protect the screen and reduce the size) with a 1/4 VGA, TFT, 65K colours touch screen with a full, roomy QWERTY thumb-board (a real keyboard would increase the size of the unit too much IMO), with an integrated 1.3MP camera and a small external screen. All this operating Symbian/UIQ 2.1. :bday:

UIQ would probably need to be rewritten though, since it's pen based, to be fully integrated with the keyboard, so you could assign applications to specific keys and launch them form there etc..

I would also like dual expansion slots for SD(IO) or CF cards, built-in GPS and WI-FI etc. etc..

I know such a device would be really expensive, but I'd gladly pay $2000 for it!
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 05-09-2003, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
I think i have used the device you described Raven,oh yes,it was in a lucid dream yesterday,but it was not that expensive

One question for the communicator users,can the QWERTY keyboard be used as a real keyboard or a thumb-board?

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 05-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by langdona
Now 1/4 VGA touchscreen phone with a full QWERTY keyboard in a clamshell design sounds good to me

Well even if its not being done its a good hint to one of the existing or potential licensees
Wonder which phone you could be hinting at!

Yeah, the rumors were there was to be 2 styles of the "Brick" being released, and one was said to be touchscreen.....but again these are only rumours.

I wish someone would announce a new device, wonder what Mitsubushi are doing with their all singin' all dancin' Concept phone from CeBit.
Ads