All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-08-2003, 06:09 PM
Prodigal Symbiant

TANKERx is on a distinguished road
Countdown to Disconnection

In an effort to encourage more cross-platform intercommunication and support third party developers to innovate using readily available standards for the internet (NOT), Microsoft has decided to restrict non-Microsoft software from being able to use its Messenger service, as reported on Infoworld. Sean Sundwall, a Microsoft spokesman said; "We are very interested in interoperating with all third parties, there just needs to be a formal agreement". What this does mean is that on October 15, Instant Messenger solutions on the Symbian platform (and third party solutions on other PC platforms such as Jabber) will cease to work; ""It is our expectation that those who use our service with unlicensed or unauthorized third-party clients will likely not be able to log on after Oct. 15".

Regarding third party developers; "[i]We would encourage those third parties to contact us to work out agreements by which they can continue to have their customers access our network[i]".

Sure, it's Microsoft's software so they can do what they like with it, but what are the chances that this is actually to promote internet security and not to screw third parties?

TANKERx

Mobile Phone History
Nec D10
Ericsson i888 World -> N'7110 -> Sony J5e
N'9210 -> N'7650
SPV -> MPx200
N'6260 -> N'6680 -> N'N70 -> N'E61 -> N'N73

Old 20-08-2003, 08:18 PM

nk8 is on a distinguished road
okay, i have java msn and IM+ for the p800, will they work after the date above?

www.haroboy.boltblue.com

Old 20-08-2003, 08:35 PM
Prodigal Symbiant

TANKERx is on a distinguished road
If the above quotes are anything to go by, no.

Of course, if the developer contacts Microsoft and does business with them, a fix may be forthcoming. Of course, there is the remote possibility that Microsoft will drag its heels to help someone who develops for the competition and Microsoft may even offer incentives for developers to not develop MSN IM solutions for the competition.

That sucks and shows how Microsoft is hell bent on killing innovation, not promoting it.

TANKERx

Mobile Phone History
Nec D10
Ericsson i888 World -> N'7110 -> Sony J5e
N'9210 -> N'7650
SPV -> MPx200
N'6260 -> N'6680 -> N'N70 -> N'E61 -> N'N73

Old 20-08-2003, 08:38 PM

damn, dogs bollocks...the juicy big round succulent ones

i hope IM+ and java msn better start getting their briefcase to microsofts office then :roll:

www.haroboy.boltblue.com

Old 21-08-2003, 01:17 AM

another AIM

Old 21-08-2003, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest1
another AIM
eh?

www.haroboy.boltblue.com

Old 21-08-2003, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Gadget17 is on a distinguished road
Well I guess Fire for the Mac won't work either :cry:

Old 21-08-2003, 09:59 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk8
Quote:
another AIM
eh?
AIM = AOL (America OnLine) Instant Messenger, perhaps. At one point there seemed to be a setup where AOL was precenting other instant messaging clients (including Microsoft's) access to AOL users, and if my memory serves me right, Microsoft was - with others like Yahoo, etc. - protesting against that and coming up with new versions countering AOL's changes, and AOL changed theirs again, and so on...

Now, it seems, they've "forgotten" that and about to do the same thing themselves.

Old 21-08-2003, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk8
Quote:
another AIM
eh?
AIM = AOL (America OnLine) Instant Messenger, perhaps.
i knew that but it just seemed strange saying another aim with nothing else, like it didn't make sense

www.haroboy.boltblue.com
Ads

Old 21-08-2003, 01:39 PM

From ShapeServices(IM+):

Microsoft Corp. has announced recently that MSN clients older than version 5.000 and correspondingly 3d party software, which uses the same log-on procedure as older MSN versions, will not be able to connect to MSN service after Oct. 15.
IM+, however, imitates the log-on procedure of MSN version 6.000, so we don’t expect any difficulties.
Anyway, to provide more security to our clients, we are going to contact Microsoft Corp., to work out a licensing agreement, which Microsoft now offers to 3d party providers of MSN software.

Old 21-08-2003, 10:11 PM

sidneylopsides is on a distinguished road
As the saying goes, Woohoo! So that would be what the 10 (yes 10) identicle emails from the .net messenger service were about...
If any deals dont work, you will have to buy and SPV if you want to use messenger while on the move then. :x
Alcatel Easy DB, Sony J70, Ericsson T68i, Pogo, SE P800, Motorola V70, and now SE T610!

Old 22-08-2003, 05:23 AM

martinharnevie is on a distinguished road
>>>AIM = AOL (America OnLine) Instant Messenger, perhaps. At one point there seemed to be a setup where AOL was precenting other instant messaging clients (including Microsoft's) access to AOL users, and if my memory serves me right, Microsoft was - with others like Yahoo, etc. - protesting against that and coming up with new versions countering AOL's changes, and AOL changed theirs again, and so on...<<<

Symbian announced an alliance with AOL last year, but after that there have not been much news. With the current high sales figures for the 3650 in the US, perhaps there are reasons to revive this alliance.