All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-07-2003, 01:22 PM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
Phone Hangs or something

[searched the forum first, found someone had the exact same problem in Oct '02 but there was no resolution. Hoping someone might have an answer now]

My fiance's 7650 seems to hang quite regularly. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it, but she won't receive any calls for a while. If she restarts the phone she'll receive messages from her voicemail for calls she's missed.

Reception where we live is pretty much perfect so it isn't that. Is this a known bug? Will a reset fix it? Does the firmware need updating?

Any help is appreciated. It seems to be happening more and more. And a phone people can't call you on isn't really much use!

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe

Old 23-07-2003, 01:34 PM

willbrady is on a distinguished road
My 7650 used to do that.
I used to leave it switched on all the time, and after playing a few games and sending out a lot of MMS's I would find it would not receive any NEW messages or calls untill after a reboot.

I think it was caused by memory fragmentation because I never used to reboot often.
I then started rebooting after every gaming session and before bedtime and it seemed ok. As you say, you don't know there is anything wrong untill you next reboot and in come a flood of messages!

That was on the original firmware (can remember which now)

Try getting a firmware upgrade, the 7650 owners on here can tell you which is the latest.

Best

Will

Old 23-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

jw is on a distinguished road
Latest version is 4.46 I think. Although one member reports having 4.47, I haven't seen anyone else with such version.

Cheers

Old 23-07-2003, 03:22 PM

Cheers. I thought that might be the solution. The problem with firmware updates is that there are no official service centre's capable of doing firmware updates on the rather isolated Isle of Man. So it's a case of packing it up and sending it off for a week or two :-(

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Old 23-07-2003, 06:44 PM

If it is not the firmware the only other thing would be a damaged phone. Your phone is supposed to send to your network every couple of seconds so they know your phone is on and roughly where you are. You would recieve your messages when you reboot because when your phone does its network search they know your phone is on

Old 24-07-2003, 04:46 AM

cj99 is on a distinguished road
Might be a long shot, but try clearing your log. Sometimes when the log is clogged 8) the phone behave strange. Hopefully this should solve your problem.

Cheers
CJ

Old 25-07-2003, 03:52 AM

bigdaddychris is on a distinguished road
delete unnecessary applications. large pictures and wave files can also corrupt your phone

Old 25-07-2003, 08:43 AM

Yeah, I had a look at it last night and there was LOADS of crap in there. She was down to 368K free memory! So I removed all the games and apps she doesn't use, cleared out her call logs, cleared out her sent messages and a load of pictures and there is now 2.6MB free.

Fingures crossed that it does the trick and thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Just waiting for someone to release a decent case for the thing now but that's another topic entirely

Old 25-07-2003, 11:02 AM

They got some nice cases on http://www.mobilefun.co.uk - the K Rusell ones are nice

Good luck

Will

Old 25-07-2003, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbrady
They got some nice cases on http://www.mobilefun.co.uk - the K Rusell ones are nice
Yeah, cheers, I have seen them before. But they're not what I (she) was looking for. She wants something along the lines of the Piel Frama case for the Zire71. She doesn't want to have to remove it from the case in order to use it as that kind of defeats the purpose of having the case. I know from having a pouch case for my old R380 that the only times I ever damaged it was when I was putting it in or taking it out of the case and I would occasionally drop it.

The Krussel is okay, but has no protection on the corners. It's hard to tell from that photo, but does it have any protection (Clear plastic?) for the screen?

Ads

Old 25-07-2003, 01:11 PM

Not sure if it has clear plastic over the screen - it does not look like it.

The one I have is for the 3650, which covers the whole phone quite snuggly. It's a case/cover rather than a pouch.

The clip on belt attachment K Rusell 's use is good.
Makes it VERY easy to unhook the phone off the belt clip whilst leaving the actual clip still on your belt - if that makes sense - and it still holds the phone very securly even thou getting it on and off is easy.

Will.

Old 25-07-2003, 01:18 PM

Yeah, it's the same clip as used on the Piel Frama's I believe. They're excellent.

So, does the 7650 fit in a 3650 case then?