All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-07-2003, 11:27 PM

kalim13 is on a distinguished road
Help with GPS module please!!!

Hi all.

i have been using my GPS module with citymaps and also the olson car mount.

i always seem to have a problem that i cannot understand. whenever i plan my route and go along this route after a certain time an error appears and then the citymaps closes, until i restart the package.

sometimes i have to reset the phone and then launch citymaps.

this is very annoying as you can imagine you go along a route that you are unfamiliar with and then the only support you have goes aswell.

i sometimes think it is because the phone is on the car mount and sometimes going over bumps or something causes the phone problems :? .

if i remember correctly i think the error that comes up is "-18". i'll have to check though.

does this onyl happen to me or have other people had similiar problems and if so what shall i do.

thanks

Old 21-07-2003, 12:47 PM

Tomahawk is on a distinguished road
Haven't seen this particular error before but I have seen a variety problems with CityMaps / GPS. Most likely culprit is software rather than hardware. Do you get the same problem with Route Planner? Suggestions, in order to try them if you haven't done so already:

1) City Maps (and RouteMaps) need a large chunk of RAM to work. Reboot and then use Switcher or similar to close all other apps before loading City Maps.
2) Re-install CityMaps
3) Re-install the maps
4) Format the communicator and reload all software

I have a 9210i and can run CityMaps and Route Planner simultaneously. There is not much room for anything else though.

Good luck.

Old 21-07-2003, 07:27 PM

thanks

i think i need to upgrade to the 9210i (or shall i just wait for the new communicator, the question is will the GPS module fit in the new communicator :roll: :roll: :roll: )

Old 21-07-2003, 11:04 PM

kalim13 is on a distinguished road
sorry that was me forgot to login again ops: ops:

Old 22-07-2003, 07:37 AM

Tomahawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
i think i need to upgrade to the 9210i (or shall i just wait for the new communicator, the question is will the GPS module fit in the new communicator :roll: :roll: :roll: )
It's probably worth saying that I originally set all of this up on a 9210 and it worked OK, although I had the apps on MMC - I never tried them on C. I can't recall if I had both apps running simultaneously, but they certainly ran OK individually with the LAM-1 GPS.
Ads

Old 22-07-2003, 08:40 AM

The Godfather is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
thanks

Depends if you wanna spend the money...certanly it's not a bad option...