All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-01-2004, 09:50 PM

bowmanP900 is on a distinguished road
I don't really know what could be wrong, but then again I haven't looked that closely at the source myself (didn't take much to make the changes required for it to compile for uiq rather than s60, there is a documented procedure for porting...). Someone with a little experience in making native uiq apps will probably find all kinds of flaws in there. :-)

The fact that Turn Off remains greyed out would seem to indicate that ir couldn't be initialized or the port failed to open. It worked right away on my P900 (ir switched off).

I agree this app has a lot of potential, and I've already recompiled a version for myself with a pseudo-swedish keymap ( ). Adding dynamic keymapping and macros (assigning whole strings of keypresses to keys) is the next step, and really simple to do. I've suggested these additions to Chris Faherty but both he and myself are really busy with work and other projects atm.

Best thing would probably be to combine the s60 and uiq versions of the source (just inserting #ifdefs for everything platform specific) so that new features can be added and maintained across both platforms. Chris has indicated he will try this whenever he gets a chance, but I suppose anyone is welcome to really...

Flagging this keyboard app as a system application is also a given improvement (hopefully this would keep it from being shut down to save memory, or when starting edoom :-)).
Ads

Old 03-01-2004, 11:32 PM

Bouncemaster is on a distinguished road
Talking P8000 Keyboard

BowGhostDog, sorry your right, read the other threads and got the open sauce version Great Job bowmanP900 it works fab, the only odd thing was I could not get it to work until I trued the infer-red off, then it works like a dream.
It will be interesting to see what Symbian come up with but Im more than happy with this at the mo, well done guys great job far better than lugging my Targus keyboard around for my HP568, and its soooooooooooooooooo good (looks cool to) on the P800, buy the way anyone know where to download the wad files for Edoom for the P800?

Old 19-06-2004, 05:49 PM

ye110wbeard is on a distinguished road
PocketTop keyboard InfraRed driver

It appears either pocketop goofed or were not allowed to make the driver by Symbian.

It was there I guess but neither side will give it to you.

However this driver

www.gootz.net/gbin/uiq

Version 2.00 by Chris Faherty works beautifully on the pocketop on the P900 and the P800.

It also seems to have support for the Palm/ThinkOutside Infrared and the Targus Infrared.

the mistake I made in the initial setup was do NOT activate the infrared on the phone. Just leave it off or the driver crashes. Also do NOT click on the little "keyboard" picture on the bottom, you get some funky error that causes the programs to crash. But know that, it appears the P800 and P900 are always receiving and listening to infrared and the driver works beautifully with it. Just switch the "Model" to pockettop and choose "Command" and poweron.

A client of mine bought the pocketop because of the beta Symbian drivers and received it with no drivers and the Symbian support dropped. Even Symbian wouldn't help out.

But these drivers worked on his P900 and my P800 with no apparent issues except for those noted.

As for Bluetooth I'm looking myself. the keyboards are plentiful but the Symbian UIQ drivers are what I'm trying to dig up. Perhaps there is another third party design.

Anyhow good luck all
Sean
Around the Clock I.T. Solutions Inc.

Old 19-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ye110wbeard
It appears either pocketop goofed or were not allowed to make the driver by Symbian.

It was there I guess but neither side will give it to you.

However this driver

www.gootz.net/gbin/uiq

Version 2.00 by Chris Faherty works beautifully on the pocketop on the P900 and the P800.

It also seems to have support for the Palm/ThinkOutside Infrared and the Targus Infrared.

the mistake I made in the initial setup was do NOT activate the infrared on the phone. Just leave it off or the driver crashes. Also do NOT click on the little "keyboard" picture on the bottom, you get some funky error that causes the programs to crash. But know that, it appears the P800 and P900 are always receiving and listening to infrared and the driver works beautifully with it. Just switch the "Model" to pockettop and choose "Command" and poweron.

A client of mine bought the pocketop because of the beta Symbian drivers and received it with no drivers and the Symbian support dropped. Even Symbian wouldn't help out.

But these drivers worked on his P900 and my P800 with no apparent issues except for those noted.

As for Bluetooth I'm looking myself. the keyboards are plentiful but the Symbian UIQ drivers are what I'm trying to dig up. Perhaps there is another third party design.

Anyhow good luck all
Sean
Around the Clock I.T. Solutions Inc.
This has already been posted in this thread.The developer of the UIQ port is on of our users - bowmanP900

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 08-07-2004, 10:36 PM
vijay555

Has anyone tried the generic opensource driver with the cheap keyboards on ebay. They're about 13/$13, and are universal IR keyboards for PocketPC and Palm. Not sure what protocol they're using, but i might buy one and worse case try and get the driver to work with it...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Vijay