All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > UIQ > Sony Ericsson P800, P900 and P910

Poll: Would you be interested in a bigger virtual QWERTY keyboard, preferably with some kind of predictive
Poll Options
Would you be interested in a bigger virtual QWERTY keyboard, preferably with some kind of predictive

Old 17-07-2003, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Who here would be interested in a bigger virtual keyboard?

Hi,

I don't like using the handwriting recognition in the P800, so my only other option for text input is to use the virtual QWERTY keyboard, however I find it to be a little on the small side and would really like a bigger virtual keyboard working in "landscape" mode, preferably full screen and with some kind of predictive(learning) text input. This would make it easier to type fast without hitting the wrong keys all the time, and even make it possible to use your thumbs on the screen in stead of the stylus.

This kind of applications currently exists for PPC's and Palms, and in my good faith I've written some of the companies behind these types of applications begging them to make a P800 version. However this is the respons I've been getting: "Our company does not have any plans to port our software to the SE P800".

I suspect the big PDA/Smarphone software developers still don't see the UIQ platform as profitable.. -How wrong they are, I believe some of the best selling software on Handango are P800 applications, and I really hope all the good developers will open their eyes to the constantly growing P800/UIQ market.

I hope many of my fellow P800 users will concur with me on this matter. So again, in my good faith, I thought this little poll might help those developers realise that this is something P800 users would be interested in.

Live well and prosper.
Cheers!
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 17-07-2003, 06:30 PM

nk8 is on a distinguished road
when i need to type a message with speed, i'd use the virtual keyboard, i find that it's pretty cool, like the right size and all, so i'd have to vote that it's just perfect

www.haroboy.boltblue.com

Old 18-07-2003, 12:16 AM

marckranat is on a distinguished road
just the right size as it is.

would like a folding keyboard (bluetooth) with pointer mouse that'd be really cool, virtual keyboard uses too much space, only use it for special keys, and the flicking in and out of it is a drag.

predictive dictionary would be a good adition to virtual keyboard, of course it wont work with the handwriting.

Old 18-07-2003, 12:21 AM

nk8 is on a distinguished road
on that note, i'd love to be able to join up words, like write words across the screen at a time coz when i started out on the p800, i was writing from left to right of the screen as i've been sooo used to it, but now i've gotten used to writing in one spot, but being able to fit in words at a time would be awesome

www.haroboy.boltblue.com

Old 18-07-2003, 08:17 AM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
Coming from the R380 which had a large, landscape keyboard, I too find the P800's too small. I only use the keyboard now fro writing special characters (@ mainly), prefering to stick to the handwriting.

On the plus side however, the P800 can't recognize my handwriting when drunk, so I don't write embarassing drunken texts anymore, a major problem previously with the virtual keyboard on the R380!

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe

Old 18-07-2003, 11:22 AM

woozle is on a distinguished road
eh?

Surely the @ symbol is the easiest one to do with handwriting - it's exactly as you'd expect it to be!

Don't see how you could possibly have a landscape keyboard. How would that work??? It's a bit different if the OS actually supported landscape already...

Old 18-07-2003, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Re: eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozle
Don't see how you could possibly have a landscape keyboard. How would that work???
This is the kind of app I have in mind: http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/3835.html

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 18-07-2003, 04:39 PM

Hm..

So it would cover the whole screen??

Old 18-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

That's the plan.

Old 18-07-2003, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
I think its a great idea,like Raven said,you could actauly use your finger for typing.If/When i get a p800 i really don't plan using the stylus much.Too many scary scratched screen stories

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 18-07-2003, 09:35 PM

sidneylopsides is on a distinguished road
At first i didnt like the handwrinting too much, and was using the virtual keyboard. I decided to try it out, and after a couple of days was flying through text messages, so far i can hand write a lot quicker than using t9 and especially multitap. The only problem has been when writing normally i keep doing funny "t"s
Alcatel Easy DB, Sony J70, Ericsson T68i, Pogo, SE P800, Motorola V70, and now SE T610!

Old 18-07-2003, 11:09 PM

Addario is on a distinguished road
i hate the virtual keyboard, and i havnt realy tried the handwriting, ericsson released a keyboard attachment for there old phones and i would prefer that for the p800

Old 18-07-2003, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
That would be the best solution,on my-symbian i've read posts and seen images of people who use the PocketTop keyboard with some beta version of the drivers.Lets hope they are near releasing it.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 22-07-2003, 06:25 AM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
I rather like the virtual keyboard, the size as well. The only thing I would like is something like WordComplete. That would really make typing easier and quicker...

Old 22-07-2003, 09:23 AM

Stylus?

If you really don't want to use the stylus, then I can't imagine why you'd get a P800!