All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > UIQ > Sony Ericsson P800, P900 and P910

Old 16-07-2003, 12:21 PM

rb14 is on a distinguished road
Vodafone UK/P800 GPRS Internet and mail settings - THEY WORK

Here are the settings which have transormed my phone from one that could neither send nor receive email, refused to operate Opera and only connected the built-in browser through WAP, into one that now works impeccably in every sense.

The settings are suitable for Vodafone UK. I must pass on my thanks (oooh, it's like the Oscars this) to the SonyEricsson support line who, despite being unable to provide a remedy, were utterly helpful and supportive. Most of all though, a "Pauline S", high up in Vodafone, who passed on a settings document which I have edited and posted below.

So those of you with connectivity trouble like I had, grab hold of your styli (styluses) and prod away. Oooerr missus. Might be cool if you post your successes or otherwise here afterwards.

INTERNET SETTINGS
Select control panel.
Select the middle tab (connections).
Select internet accounts.
Select new.
In account name you can enter anything you like, but make sure itís easily distinguishable. I suggest: emailAPN (not case sensitive).
Connection type should be set to GPRS.
Click on the advanced button towards the bottom of the screen.
At the top it will say username and password required and have a little empty box - put a tick in the box by simply tapping on the box and a tick will appear.
Now in username write web - this IS case sensitive.
In password write web - this IS case sensitive.
In address write internet - this IS case sensitive.
Tap done, twice.
Make sure Preferred: is set to your new account (in this case "emailAPN") and that Show connection dialog is ticked. This means that when you connect using this account, a connection dialogue will appear at the bottom of the screen and you can see that you are using the right account.
Tap done again, you have now created an APN for the phone to use, hurrah.

EMAIL SETTINGS
Go to control panel.
Select the middle tab connections again.
Select messaging accounts.
Once again across the bottom there are a number of "tabs". Make sure Email is selected as before. Regardless of any accounts already present in the list, we are still going to CREATE A NEW ONE. I would advise you to delete any current ones by highlighting the one you wish to delete and pressing delete, followed by yes.
Click on new.
Account name should be entered as anything you can easily identify as your particular e-mail - my advice is the NAME of what type (yahoo, breathe, Vodafone) followed by e-mail, e.g. "Vodafone e-mail".
Your name leave blank.
E-mail address is exactly that - the FULL e-mail address you are wishing to use.
Connection type select pop3 from the drop down.
Internet account is the APN you are going to use and so this will be the name of what we created prior to this part (emailAPN was the example I used above).
Select inbox from the tabs at the bottom of the screen.
Username enter your e-mail username (usually the first half of your e-mail address - everything UP TO the @ symbol).
Password enter the e-mail password you created for your e-mail.
Incoming server address - this is dependant on WHAT e-mail account you are setting - this is your 'pop' server. If it is a VODAFONE.NET account then enter pop.vodafone.net If it is not for a Vodafone mail account, then get this from YOUR ISP (find out from yahoo if it is a yahoo email account for example).
Download can be set to anything in the drop down BUT for money-saving it is advisable to have Just headers - what this is for is whenever you check for new mail - it only retrieves the title of the mail until you click on that title (very handy so that you don't have to open all your junk mail sent to your e-mail address for instance).
Schedule - again this is up to you - it means that the phone will connect to the e-mail itself at the chosen interval and retrieve mail - not really advisable so leave alone.
Select the outbox tab at the bottom.
The outgoing server address is best set as a Vodafone-owned one. This means that if you can receive mail but CANíT send, it is Vodafone who can help, regardless of who your e-mail is with. If it is receiving mail that is a problem then contact your ISP if all the settings that we are going through are correct. If you have an outgoing server of your own (such as yahoo's), you can enter this here but again if there are problems Vodafone cannot help so itís best to enter in send.vodafone.net
Make sure there is NOT a tick next to use SMTP authentication If there is then simply tap the box and this will remove the tick.
Tap done, then again (twice in total)

All that there is left to say is good luck!

RogerB14

Old 16-07-2003, 12:32 PM

Addario is on a distinguished road
i had a prob with voda wap and gprs for ages, took me 2 hrs on the phone with cpw data support to sort it out,

btw, using voda i cant download anything over 250kb, do u have that prob.....if not help!

Old 16-07-2003, 04:20 PM

kingrob is on a distinguished road
8)

If you look in the 'stickies', you'll find all comms settings for Vodafone + other networks.

Old 16-07-2003, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrob
8)

If you look in the 'stickies', you'll find all comms settings for Vodafone + other networks.
Thanks Kingrob. If I had a penny for each post I'd read here that didn't solve my problem, I would have 28p. Make that 29p. That's why I took the trouble of posting the lengthy explanation I did.

Sorry if it annoys you.

Old 17-07-2003, 07:29 AM

No, I'm not annoyed! I appreciate it a lot, (I'm a Vodafone subscriber), but I've found the stickies to be very helpful if you have a problem/searching for a solution, there's always a good chance that someone might have posted a solution already - and you can save yourself all the typing.

Worth the read!

Old 08-09-2003, 02:34 PM

Maff is on a distinguished road
I have followed these instructions precisely as well as the information posted in the stickies but Opera refuses to work at all, it simply says 'Activation rejected' and Java MSN says that the MSN service is not available.

Any ideas??? :roll:

Old 08-09-2003, 05:45 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maff
I have followed these instructions precisely as well as the information posted in the stickies but Opera refuses to work at all, it simply says 'Activation rejected' and Java MSN says that the MSN service is not available.

Yout probably need to get your Internet APN activated on your account so it allows internet GPRS and not just WAP GPRS.

Ring vodafone data services on.....196 I think it is from the handset.

Old 08-09-2003, 09:14 PM

Correct.

Old 08-09-2003, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2theIZZO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maff

Yout probably need to get your Internet APN activated on your account so it allows internet GPRS and not just WAP GPRS.

Ring vodafone data services on.....196 I think it is from the handset.
Yes definitely. I had to do this. You'd think that giving Vodafone about a billion pounds each month (as I do) would automatically ensure that this happened, but no. Amazingly it seems you need to jump through a further 12 hoops before they'll do it for you. Seriously though, you should just call them and request that Internet APN is activated. Good luck - it's well worth it - once I did this, my phone was transformed into the useful tool I had expected all along. xx

Old 09-09-2003, 07:29 PM

Thanks fellas, I'll look into it and let you know...

Just as a side note, now all my GPRS and MMS connections have gone haywire too, despite deleteing all settings and redownloading he config info from the S-E website.... It's enough to make you cry!!!

:agrue:

Old 10-09-2003, 04:28 AM

M3 Monster is on a distinguished road
Re: Vodafone UK/P800 GPRS Internet and mail settings - THEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb14
Here are the settings which have transormed my phone from one that could............
OH YOU BEAUTY!!!

No more searchin & fone-ing......

Thanx Roger.......you're a life saver

Old 10-09-2003, 07:37 AM

Just as a side note: I haven't got it sorted yet, phoned last night but spoke to vodafone and not vodafone connect.... And apparently my service provider is Voda connect not vodafone so they couldn't do anything about it....

However, they did tell me that Voda's GPRS is down at the minute which explains why my GPRS and MMS is shafted!

Old 10-09-2003, 09:00 AM

[quote="M3 Monster"]
Quote:
Here are the settings which have transormed my phone from one that could............
OH YOU BEAUTY!!!

Hmmmmm. I do hope this message board isn't becoming some kind of dating agency....

....but then again, a/s/l? JOKE!

Old 11-09-2003, 02:24 AM

M3 Monster is on a distinguished road

[quote="rb14"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Monster
Quote:
OH YOU BEAUTY!!!

Hmmmmm. I do hope this message board isn't becoming some kind of dating agency....

....but then again, a/s/l? JOKE!

sorry mate...you're the wrong sex........for me anyway
I have been looking for the uk voda setting for the last few weeks, only my standard browser worked!!

But now, all third party software works ......cheers again RB14

Old 22-06-2004, 11:17 PM
SteveJohnston

RB14 you are a Life Saver

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Not a million miles away from everything I had tried before, but different enough.

Fab. At last I have a useful toy!

Steve
Ads