All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-07-2003, 10:24 PM

Finally got rid

This might shock a few people out there but, today, I finally got rid of my Nokia 3650. Yep, the phone that has been haunting my life for the last 3 months has finally gone onto a better home. That "quirky" little keypad (badly designed), the "fun" facias (creaked everytime it was touched) and the "wonderful" symbian OS (like a snail on tranquilisers) have left me for good. No more will I fear dropping and shattering my mobile when using it... no more will i struggle to hear the ring tones when the phone is on as loud as possible (and its not my ears).... no more will i save a blank text message to drafts when I decide that i dont really want to write one.... no more will I hear the rattle of keys as I type in a number or text. Nokia, I salute you.

On a more serious note, can anyone recommend the 7650? At least it has a hidden "normal" keypad

Thanks folks

Old 15-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
The 7650 will help with the fascia and keyboard(I use one)but if you are not comfortable with Symbian OS(The ringtone thing is an easy solving problem)then a smartphone is not for you my friend.I recommend just a phone,maybe a 7250,simple and easy to use,the fascia is better,not a lot though.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 15-07-2003, 11:34 PM

EtherealTHC is on a distinguished road
I feel you, man. I regret paying this much for a phone with so many bugs. (for example, it turns off at random intervals) The phone retails for $300, but it's only worth like $100.

Old 16-07-2003, 06:46 AM

Kirill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealTHC
I feel you, man. I regret paying this much for a phone with so many bugs. (for example, it turns off at random intervals) The phone retails for $300, but it's only worth like $100.
So using this logic how much is a Ferrari worth?

-- George S. Patton Jr.
Ads

Old 16-07-2003, 08:31 AM

Not to start a flame war, but I think your comments are extreme and unjust. I am getting sick of people posting on this board about how horrible the phone is only to over exaggerate everything. Sure there are some people that won't like the phone (I'm not one of them) but it would be a lot nicer to read one of these posts and have an honest review of what they did and didn't like about the phone instead of just a bunch of bitching. I don't mind when people dislike their phone, but at least give an honest review of why.

As for me, I love my 3650, I haven't experienced any of the problems you speak of, I've dropped my phone numerous times (more than 5 on concrete from over 3 ft.) and I've never had a problem with it. The faceplate is nice and tight on my phone, my keys don't rattle, and although I agree the speaker volume and ringtones are a bit quiet, there are ways around that. So I don't see what your talking about.

Old 16-07-2003, 08:15 PM

To the "guest" with no-name that doesnt want to start a "flame-war".

Please refer back to my previous posts titled "bloody rubbish" that are on about page 4 or 5.

I think that i'd been brutally honest on there

Cheers

Old 17-07-2003, 07:51 AM

Kirill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_da_man
To the "guest" with no-name that doesnt want to start a "flame-war".

Please refer back to my previous posts titled "bloody rubbish" that are on about page 4 or 5.

I think that i'd been brutally honest on there

Cheers
Brutally is a good choice of words. Question is why start this topic again if the first one died down?

-- George S. Patton Jr.

Old 17-07-2003, 11:35 AM

Jaggz is on a distinguished road
So what did you replace it with, or haven't you yet?

Old 17-07-2003, 07:23 PM

Replacing it with a Nokia 7650... see how the OS stands up on that one

Old 17-07-2003, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

LOL!! It is exactly the same OS!!Although the 7650 does not randomly reset as some 3650's.The 3650 has even more built in software like RealOne or the VideoRecorder.

Like i said in my previus post,the 7650 will help with fascia and keyboard,but not with the OS.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 17-07-2003, 08:10 PM

According to Nokia download site, the 7650 is a vid cam with their new downloadable free software.

I cant stand realplayer...on PC or phone

Old 17-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

I said built in,do you know how much software can you store on 3.6MB(7650) and how much on 3.6MB and a 16MB or 128MB MMC(3650).

Personally,i'm not that botherd by the lack of memory on the 7650,but in your case,i don't know.

Old 17-07-2003, 08:57 PM

Sounds like a backwards step to me!! Just the fact of having expandable memory must surely put the 3650 waaay ahead of its elder brother?? I know the keypad is a pain, but still! But, as long as yr happy.

Old 24-07-2003, 03:52 AM

If Nokias aren't your cup of tea, try the Treo or Pocket PC phones.

Old 24-07-2003, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Blasphemy!! Try the SE p800 ops: