All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-07-2003, 04:40 PM

sanjg2k02 is on a distinguished road
Somememory related and other isues for Nokia 3650

1. Kindly clarify whether SD (Secured Digital) Memory Card will work on Nokia 3650 or should one go for Nokia 3650? Regarding maximum size of memory card supported, I have seen on some discussion forums that even 256 MB card works quite well. What is the minimum firmware version that will be required for 356 MB and 128 MB respectively? I have version 3.13. Secondly, when I go for the new memory card, will it be possible to get an exact data image of the present 16 MB card using Bluetooth and any explorer software (e.g. Fexplorer)? What I intend to do is to copy each folder on my old memory card as such to the PC using Bluetooth and then transfer it back to the phone with 128 MB card on it. This way, I may not require a memory stick reader/ writer and will also not require installing all the programmes all over again (which have currently been installed on memory card). Am I right in planning it out that way?

2. I find that the Nokia MM Converter compresses a mp3 audio file in to one tenths of its original size (output is in .amr format). I have played both the files (i.e. .mp3 and .amr). There isn't much difference in quality. So will it not be better to have everything in .amr format and save 90% space? Is there a way of compressing a .mp3 on the phone file using compression softwares (such as stacker)?

3. Is Active Desk Themes by www.cibenix.com certified by Nokia for use on Nokia 3650? Their site claims so.

4. In Sony Ericsson T 610 that I had earlier, caller's full picture could be seen on the screen (if it was linked to the caller). Here in Nokia 3650 only a small thumbnail is seen. Is it possible to get callerís image on the whole screen?

5. Is it possible to disable the default screen saver and use a more colorful third party screen saver? By default only the original screen saver (having text/ date) always runs. Even if I try to reduce the time settings of his third party screen saver, the original screen saver automatically gets set to the same time setting and does not give the new screen saver to run.

6. How is the memory of the phone and memory card apportioned among video, images, messages etc. What is the maximum number of contacts that can be added (with some details) on the phone? Can the contacts be divided in two parts (one in the phone and the other in the memory card)? I can have the regular ones (that have a definite ring tone, picture etc.) on the phone and the remaining ones on the memory card. It is written that the User's Guide that in order to have ring tones, pictures, voice tags, the contacts should be on the phone and not on the sim card. Will such a restriction apply even to contacts on the memory card?

Thanking you,

Yours sincerely,

Sanjeev Gupta

Old 07-07-2003, 04:50 PM

erm.....errrr....Oh yeah, memory

Good question! I would like to know the answer too. A bigger memory card is jus what i need.

Old 07-07-2003, 04:52 PM

Tatuagem is on a distinguished road
1) SD cards do not work in the 3650. Only MMC. As far as I know there is no way of copying an intire card just by using the phone (there wouldn't be enough memory on the phone to do that. try using pc suite to back up the info on your card and then transfer it to the new one. haven't heard of a 356MB card. the 128MB one works with FW2.50

2) amr or mp3 is a matter of taste. use which one suits you better.

3) If their site says so, then it should be so... they should know that better than any of us here.

4) presently there's no way of showing up a full screen image of the caller.

5) what third party screensaver are you talking about? the one from psiloc works fine.

6) you can choose to save contact, messages, etc either in the phone or in the memory card. it's not possible to divide each one of them among both memories.
Quote:
It is written that the User's Guide that in order to have ring tones, pictures, voice tags, the contacts should be on the phone and not on the sim card. Will such a restriction apply even to contacts on the memory card?
nope. what the manual calls the "phone" includes the card, as well.
(#uminho na ptnet)

Old 07-07-2003, 04:55 PM

jimmy-floyd is on a distinguished road
1)you can use only MMC cards,all MMC up to MMC work on 3650.FW 3.13 officially supports 256MMC card.2)i transfered mp3 to 3650,and convertor converts files to WAV,not ARM.;3)dont worry about certificate.;4)Nope,the thumbnail of caller is small :-? ,and you cant do it bigger. :( ;5)yes you can...;

Old 07-07-2003, 04:58 PM

jimmy-floyd is on a distinguished road
I POSTED the post before,i saw the ANSWER,..I MEAN,that we with TATUagem were writing anser for thread together.

Old 07-07-2003, 05:36 PM

sanjg2k02 is on a distinguished road
Hi!
1.Where did you see the certification by Nokia that Nokia 3650 supports 256 MB Memory Card? I have just received an email from Nokia USA that only 128 MB MMC is supported.

2. I think that my question about splitting contacts in two parts was misunderstood. I want to have some contacts on the phone and some on the MMC. I shall have those contacts on MMC, which are linked to a voice tag etc. Please clarify.

Old 07-07-2003, 06:02 PM

there's no way to have contacts on the phone and others on the MMC. It's either one or the other.
(#uminho na ptnet)

Old 07-07-2003, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
jimmy,please stop posting false information.Firmware v3.13 does not officially support 256MMC.

I have seen posts of people claiming that SD had worked with their 3650 but i wouldn't try it,well maybe i would,if a i had 9 or 10 3650's to spare

No use of compressing mp3's with stacker,wave files yes.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 07-07-2003, 07:51 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
I have seen posts of people claiming that SD had worked with their 3650 but i wouldn't try it,well maybe i would,if a i had 9 or 10 3650's to spare
An SD card is thicker and has a couple of additional contacts. An SD card reader can read MMCs, but not vice versa. All Nokia phones, those which have a memory expansion slot, all have MMC readers and supports MMC cards only.

Old 08-07-2003, 09:33 AM

Kirill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatuagem
there's no way to have contacts on the phone and others on the MMC. It's either one or the other.
How do you store contacts on the MMC. I have not found the way to do so. Would appreaciate the info. Messages yes but contacts no.

-- George S. Patton Jr.
Ads

Old 08-07-2003, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
jimmy,please stop posting false information.Firmware v3.13 does not officially support 256MMC.

No use of compressing mp3's with stacker,wave files yes.
I happen to know for a fact that they don't work.... it is too thick. I bought an SD card by mistake, thinking it was an MMC (the boxes were exactly the same), and I couldn't even insert it into the slot. Since it was the dealer's fault as much as my own, I traded it back for an MMC.
(#uminho na ptnet)

Old 08-07-2003, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatuagem
How do you store contacts on the MMC. I have not found the way to do so. Would appreaciate the info. Messages yes but contacts no.
I'm really sorry!! I've just realised my mistake!!! you're right, there doesn't seem to be a way to store contacts on the MMC. just pictures, videos and messages. I'm really sorry about that!! :cry: :cry:
(#uminho na ptnet)

Old 08-07-2003, 01:40 PM

mekeni2000 is on a distinguished road
Good question...

Quote:
How do you store contacts on the MMC card? :fadein:

Old 08-07-2003, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Tatuagem,I didn't say it will work,I just said that I've read posts about it working.Thicker?I know.I think that the response of the 3650 SD pioneers to the "SD thicker" issue was: I made it thinner by rubbing it with some tools I had.

Personally,i don't believe it works.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 08-07-2003, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Good question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekeni2000
Quote:
How do you store contacts on the MMC card? :fadein:
Find your last post and then look one post up