All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-06-2003, 07:14 PM

Need help - Laptop using P800 GPRS internet connection

Experts out there:

Can anyone tell me how I can surf the internet from my laptop using my P800's GPRS connection (not through the modem). SE say that is not possible, but some said it's easy. Can anyone just tell me how. I am constantly on the road and need to do quick things on my laptop, but need internet connection. Thanks in advance

David

Old 25-06-2003, 07:44 PM

macduc is on a distinguished road
If they tell that it is not possible, they don't know their own stuff!
Do you use apple or PC? I use a Powerbook and can surf the net and send & receive mail.

I can't help you with the settings for PC, I am using OSX but you can check out this link to find the drivers you need for your GPRS connection. (must have GPRS activated on you mobile)
http://www.taniwha.org.uk/gprs.html

I hope this helps you out, let me know!

Greetz

Old 25-06-2003, 08:01 PM

Sorry guys:

Additional info. My laptop is running Windows 2000. My P800 actually got the GPRS working, but I want my laptop to use the P800's GPRS (always on) connection to the internet and not the GPRS modem where you have to dial out.

Thanks again.

David

Old 26-06-2003, 05:58 AM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
Don't know exactly what you mean, but anyway...

Make a new connection. Use as Dial-in number *99# or *99***1# or *99***2# (one of these should work). Don't set anything else. That way it will conncect to GPRS off your provider, and you can keep it online all the time!

Old 26-06-2003, 11:02 AM

surfing on ur notebook via GPRS on the P800 is easy actually.

there are 3 ways u can do this:
1. via cable
2. via IRDA
3. via Bluetooth

All 3 require that u make a connection with the phone using the desired conduit. If ur using IRDA or BT, an IRDA/Bluetooth modem will appear if you've done it correctly.

Then just use your network connections to dial "*99#" (GPRS dial number) using the desired modem (IRDA or BT), login using the correct GPRS login (differs from net to net, some don't even require it) and you shd be rocking.

el

Old 26-06-2003, 11:06 AM

For a little more detail, you need to disable syncing on the port which you wish to use for internet. i.e. if you use the cable, then it'll be com4 or com5 or something, so you will need to untick that in link properties (the 'heartbeat' symbol in the sytem tray near the clock).

The you have two choices

1) Run the SONY ERICSSON dial-up networking wizard. Go to Control Panel > Phone Monitor Options and enable the COM port you disabled in link properties. It'd be probably be wise to reboot without the phone in the cradle just so the chages set.

Then go to Start > Programs > SonyEricsson and select dialup networking wizard. You will be prompted to install a modem, select the correct one. This method will create the correct phone number for you, as it will scan the phone for all accounts and ask you which one you want to use.

OR

2) Manually. Goto Control Panel > Phone and Modem Options and Add a modem to the COM port you disabled. It wont be found automatically, so you need to tick I will select from a list. Then pick the sonyericsson modem and install it to the right port. If you do not have the correct drivers, dont worry, just select Standard Modem types as a manufacturer and Standard 19200bps modem as a driver.

Then go to Network connections and create a new dialup using the modem you just installed. For the phone number, it will be *99***{CID}# where cid is the internet acount you want to use. The P800 does not reveal these so you should go up from 1 till you connect AND can browse. You will be able to connect to a WAP account but not browse, so keep trying if this happens. The only way to get the CID numbers is to use the method above.

Old 26-06-2003, 09:12 PM

Sorry for being so dumb. Can you experts be more specific in the instructions...

On my P800 (connected to my laptop through the USB cradle), I have set the Connection setting for the CABLE option to MODEM

On my laptop, I have created a New Connection using the SonyEricsson Serial Modem (no userid password, no special network option), and specified the number to dial as *99#

Tried connecting, and got a 692 error, it said something like the modem has failed or something like that.

Can you guys give me a little more help. I use T-Mobile as the GPRS provider in the US. Thanks again in advance.

David

Old 27-06-2003, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
For a little more detail, you need to disable syncing on the port which you wish to use for internet. i.e. if you use the cable, then it'll be com4 or com5 or something, so you will need to untick that in link properties (the 'heartbeat' symbol in the sytem tray near the clock).
Thanks, guest.

Finally an explanation that makes things clear. Now I finally am able to connect from my laptop to my phone using bluetooth. It creates a connection, but it cannot locate any webpages.

The init-string is fine according to Vodafone, but when I try to add:

+cdgcont=1, "IP", "internet.vodafone.pt"

in extra initilization commands for the Standard modem over Bluetooth, I get an error, when I dial-up. Any idear what I could try?

I am almost there now :-)

Old 27-06-2003, 04:03 PM

If you are connecting over Bluetooth, you shouldn't ordinarily need to add an init string, just connect the DUN service and use *99***{CID}# as the phone number. IF you are using a widdcomm based BT device with My Bluetooth Places, then as long as they are paired, if you connect DUN it will prompt for user pass and phone. Phone is ALWAYS *99***{CID}# and user pass may or may not be required depending on your provider. Also, you shouldn't need to disable syncing first using bluetooth as the DUN will use a different COM port, unless you are trying to dial out over a BT serial port (which is a different service).

If you cant work out what CID number the account you want to use is, and cant get dialup networking wizard to work, the if you are confident, go into hyperterminal (start > run > hypertrm) and fire the command at+cgdcont? at the phone. the response should bring back the GPRS accounts on the phone and the relevent CID after the = sign.

If you do want to use a string, then enter it as at+cgdcont=1,"IP","{APN}" where {APN} is the access point supplied by your netwrok adn then dial *99***1# as this is the CID you have given this account

The biggest problem is the wrong APN, I cannot make this clear enough... you willnot be able to view WEB pages on a WAP apn. Vodafone are the worst for it and will tell people the wrong apn. If you are confident you have the correct apn, then you should check you do not have any proxy set or that internet explore is in offline mode.

Old 28-06-2003, 12:00 AM

[quote="Anonymous"]If you are connecting over Bluetooth, you shouldn't ordinarily need to add an init string, just connect the DUN service and use *99***{CID}# as the phone number. IF you are using a widdcomm based BT device with My Bluetooth Places, then as long as they are paired, if you connect DUN it will prompt for user pass and phone. Phone is ALWAYS *99***{CID}# and user pass may or may not be required depending on your provider. Also, you shouldn't need to disable syncing first using bluetooth as the DUN will use a different COM port, unless you are trying to dial out over a BT serial port (which is a different service).[/quite]

THANKS! I am not using a widdcom but build-in bluetooth on my vaio Z1SP. Believe me that I have search both My-symbian and other sources to find a qualified description about bluetooth and P800, and finally I found it thanks to you! I'll try it out tomorrow and let you know how it goes. BTW: This should be sticked to the message board since a lot of users are having the same questions that I had regarding this subject.

Once again, thanks...

Old 08-07-2003, 09:15 PM

I am using a widdicom device and it seems paired with my P800 on orange with GPRS.
Trouble is I have tried all the different numbers you have given but when it tries to dial I get the error 'Unable to establish a connection'.
The phone lights up and you see the bluetooth communicating but get this dam error.

Please help,

Cheers,

dave.
Ads