All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-07-2002, 06:51 PM

Global moderator is on a distinguished road
Questions about N7650

N7650 supports polyphonic ringtones?How does they sound like??
What about pictures quality??Good or bad?On profile menu there is timed option like 6310 8310 etc?
Anyone tried to use web viewer??

Thanks in advance for your help

Old 16-07-2002, 09:24 PM

ebo is on a distinguished road
Re: Questions about N7650

Polyphonic ringtones sound absolutely fantastic compared to regular ringtones plus you can install new ones as standard MIDI (.mid and .rmi) files. Not all MIDI files sound good as ringtones in the 7650 since it doesn't support very many (I'd guess that only four) simultaneous instruments (is this the correct term? I don't know).

Picture quality is nice for phone-to-phone messaging and livable (or tolerable) to send via emails to your friends to be viewed on a PC. I wouldn't get the 7650 to replace any real digital camera, since you can get a good three megapixel camera for as low as 500 euros.

I don't quite understand what you mean by timed options, but there seem to be about the same options as in the 6510 which I also have.

I bought the WebViewer from Handangor.com and it's been working very well. It does not yet have a cache for temporary files so pages are always loaded from web server which causes needless extra traffic. This means that browsing is bit slow and more traffic is generated than would be necessary. The developer of WebViewer told me that a cache feature this on the to-do list of future versions so I don't see this as a problem.

Note that the 7650 only supports Java MIDP/1.0 which limits its TCP/IP connections. Therefore SSL is not supported. So don't expect to have your online banking or shopping matters handled with WebViewer. This also applies to other secure connection applications like SSH clients - yoy can't get such a Java application for the 7650.

WebViewer seems to have some display bugs and a few other minor issues with the 7650, but these haven't bothered me pretty much at all.

Tero

Old 17-07-2002, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo
I don't quite understand what you mean by timed options, but there seem to be about the same options as in the 6510 which I also have.
Customizable and timed profiles:For example you choose profile "meeting"What im asking is if N7650 have the ability to deactivate the "meeting" profile the time you scheduled it(sorry for my poor english)
I would like to thank u for the reply

Old 17-07-2002, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo
Customizable and timed profiles:For example you choose profile "meeting"What im asking is if N7650 have the ability to deactivate the "meeting" profile the time you scheduled it(sorry for my poor english)
I would like to thank u for the reply
i forget to log in..
Thanks again..

Old 17-07-2002, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo
I bought the WebViewer from Handangor.com and it's been working very well.
Another question When u buy a program like that,what do u need to install it on the phone?Infrared adapter?And how they sent it to u?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo
This means that browsing is bit slow and more traffic is generated than would be necessary
If u use high speed data is any better?
Many thanks again

Old 17-07-2002, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What im asking is if N7650 have the ability to deactivate the "meeting" profile the time you scheduled it.
I don't recall having seen this kind of a feature in any Noikia model, but then again I haven't used all of them. There's no time schedule (weekdays or clock times) in profile settings so I think there isn't such a feature at all.

It is, howewer, very easy to change between profiles (for exxample "General", "Meeting" and "Outdoors" since it's always just one click away.

Quote:
When u buy a program like that,what do u need to install it on the phone?Infrared adapter?And how they sent it to u?
I have used Bluetooth with the 3Com Bluetooth USB adapter in my laptop. You can also send programs to the 7650 by email (as attached files) too if you have an email account (IMAP4 and POP3 supported) configured to your phone. Please ask if you need more information about this. I assumed you know that you can read ans send emails with the 7650.

Quote:
If u use high speed data is any better?
I have used high-speed data (HSCSD) and GPRS. Speeds are generally very fine. My point was that it's always faster to load pages from your device's memory rather than loading them from a web server. 7650's built-in wap browser has a cache, but WebViewer does not have one yet.

Most cellular service providers charge GPRS traffic according to how much date is being sent. Therefore a cache feature (which is expected in some future release of WebViewer) will reduce unnecessary traffic and save costs for many users.

Tero

Old 17-07-2002, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo
I don't recall having seen this kind of a feature in any Noikia model, but then again I haven't used all of them. There's no time schedule (weekdays or clock times) in profile settings so I think there isn't such a feature at all.
U said that u have N6510 as well right?Please do me a favor.
Press on N6510 Menu-->Profiles-->Meeting or General or any profile u want-->u have 3 option.Activate,personalise,Timed.U never use it in N6510?
Is very convenient option because lets assumed that u have to go to work and u must activate the silent profile.Timed option gives u the ability to appoint after how many hours the silent profile automatically change to the previous profile.This feature is supported from N8310,6510,6310,6310i.
I have also N6510 and i have this option..Does the N7650 have the same option??If u go in menu profile on N7650 what options do u have if u select General profile?Activate i suppose,personalise rename maybe and???What else?
forgive me for being boring i just want to know
probably there is no such option in N7650

cheers

Old 17-07-2002, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global moderator
Press on N6510 Menu-->Profiles-->Meeting or General or any profile u want-->u have 3 option.Activate,personalise,Timed.U never use it in N6510?
Now I found this feature in the 6510 and also remember that I have tried this sometime before, but have never needed it and therefore forgotten it.

7650 doesn't seem to have this option. When I go to Profiles and select General (or any other profile) and "Personalise", options are the following:

Ringing tone (selection list)
Incoming call alert (selection list)
Ringing volume (selection bar)
Message alert tone (selection list)
Vibration alert (on/off)
Keypad tones (off / level 1-3)
Warning tones (on/off)
Alert for (all calls)
Profile name (text field)

Tero
Ads

Old 18-07-2002, 03:43 PM

Thanks a lot
if u receive attachment with excel what hapens?How that appears?is tere any way to see it?

Old 18-07-2002, 05:00 PM

Yogesh is on a distinguished road
Yes, I am also keen to know the response to this one....can we "view" word & excel attachments received in mail? Any midp-viewers available?

Also, is the clock a world clock like the 9210?

This would help me decide whether to buy the 7650 or not..... :roll:

Thanks!

Old 18-07-2002, 08:32 PM

There is a free world clock available from the Nokia Software Market using the WAP link that comes with the 7650.

I haven't seen any MS Excel or Word viewer or "editor" for the 7650, but I hope there will be one as the 9210 has them built-in. Maybe even Nokia will release such programs? I think that would be a wise move.

In any case I believe there will be such programs available sometime in the near future since the Symbian OS platform and Java midlets seem to be getting more and more support from software developers and hardware manufacturers.

Tero

Old 19-07-2002, 05:27 PM

1)Any comments about battery life?
From infoSync
What's negative: Poor synchronization speed and battery life
with normal use and the phone 24h open how many days battery last?

2)

thumbnail also appears along with the contact name when you receive a call
My question is if you receive a call pictures size from the friend that calling is that small(see screenshot)or N7650 has a setting to make the pic appear bigger??
thnks

Old 21-07-2002, 12:03 PM

Manowar is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, the default ringing tones that come with 7650, are they polyphonic or single tones?

Old 22-07-2002, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global moderator
1) with normal use and the phone 24h open how many days battery last?
What is "normal use"? In my use 7650's battery has sometimes lasted easily for 2-3 days and then again sometimes I've had to load it after just one day.

I'd say that if you use Bluetooth, installed applications, the camera and speak phone calls all the time, you have to load 7650's battery every day.

Quote:
2) My question is if you receive a call pictures size from the friend that calling is that small(see screenshot)or N7650 has a setting to make the pic appear bigger?? thnks
I haven't found a way to make those thumbnails bigger, and haven't needed such an option either.

Tero

Old 22-07-2002, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manowar
Hey guys, the default ringing tones that come with 7650, are they polyphonic or single tones?
There are about 12 polyphonic ringtones (if I counted correctly) and the rest are normal single-tone ringtones. You can, of course, get more ringtones for free by downloading MIDI files to the 7650.

Tero