All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-06-2003, 04:31 AM

marcnyc is on a distinguished road
Is it bad to recharge the P800 every night?

Ok since it has been universally noted and proven that the P800's worst feature is the battery life (nowhere near the claimed 400hours of stand by) and since there seems to be no words about an extended life battery for it, I guess I will have to move on to how to get the best out of it and ask you guys if somebody knows if there's something wrong with recharging every night... In the past I used to read that phones should be completely re-charged before charging... is this still true or is the technology different? will you loose performace (ie battery life) if you re-charge every night even if it's not fully or not even half way decharged?
Does anybody know the TECHNICAL side of this? Does the so called Memory effect have something to do?
Has anybody noted a decrease in battery life while recharging every night?
Thanks

Old 11-06-2003, 05:06 AM

Eric Chu is on a distinguished road
It's pretty annoying to recharge everynight. However, in view of the features given by P800, I don't mind charging it while I sleep .

The battery supplied is lithium battery and I suppose memory effect will not happen. But there is still life cycle for any battery, so if it can last 1-2 years (by then maybe another replacement of the phone), I think its fine.

Old 11-06-2003, 05:37 AM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
I recharge my phone practically every night and I haven't noticed a decrease of battery live (I've had my phone for over 4 months now).

The only advice I can give you (although it may be too late for that) is to fully charge and discharge the phone the first couple of times. That way the battery will last longer (maybe even 3-4 years). After that, you can recharge it every night without having any problems.

Old 11-06-2003, 05:38 AM

marcnyc is on a distinguished road
When you say there is still a life cycle, do you mean by that the the life cycle of the battery is reduced by re-charging overnight???

Also one other thing I wanna ask and I forgot to is: if I re-charge overnight can the phone or the battery be damaged by charging longer than needed (if I sleep 8 hours it will be charging about 6 hours too much).

Also does it make a difference if it's on or off? I keep it always on...

Old 11-06-2003, 05:40 AM

The Mus is on a distinguished road
Thanks Delta737, now you tell me. :fadein:

Well I charge my phone everynight, I think with the design of the phone and the sync/docking station, I would assume this is the desired way to recharge and store the phone when not in use.

I dont think there is any clear information on this in the manual, not that I read anyway.

If anyone does know about any detrimental effects from charging every night, pass it on... please!

Old 11-06-2003, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnyc
When you say there is still a life cycle, do you mean by that the the life cycle of the battery is reduced by re-charging overnight???

Also one other thing I wanna ask and I forgot to is: if I re-charge overnight can the phone or the battery be damaged by charging longer than needed (if I sleep 8 hours it will be charging about 6 hours too much).

Also does it make a difference if it's on or off? I keep it always on...
By life cycle, I mean from new to totally dead. The longer you use your battery (no matter you recharge every night or not), you should find your charge level deprive as the battery become older.

I think most battery manufacturers recommend not charging the phone over 12-24 hours and I think 8 hours is Ok as I think that for many years even with my T68.

I have my phone always on too.

Old 11-06-2003, 10:54 AM

Another point...

If I charge but the battery level does not get to 100% does that effect the battery?

E.g. you place the P800 in docking station for 30mins just while you edit some contacts or download a file or something, then you take it out before the battery is fully charged, will this effect the battery performance?

Old 11-06-2003, 11:05 AM

JulesG is on a distinguished road
As far as I am aware, Lithium Ion and Polymer cells do not suffer from "memory effect"; so you can fully or partially charge them and you can do that from any charge level. The battery largely* does not care whther you run it completely flat, then fully charge it, or whether you keep it topped up every few minutes, so you can safely bung on charge each night.

The charging circuit prevents overcharge, so even when the battery is full you can leave it connected to the power.

Eventually, the battery will degrade. It will take between 2-4 years,
and this is the * from above; the ultimate life is decided by the charging cycle, however, it is decided by the total 0-100% charges.
Thus 1 full charge = 4 quarter charges in terms of battery life, approximately.

Once fully charged, leaving on the cradle does not affect the life, as it is not really charging at that point, nor is it using the battery to run the phone from.

Might cost you a few cents extra from your power company...

er ... remind me of the topic again?

Old 11-06-2003, 11:34 AM

I dont understand the full quarter charge thing

Old 12-06-2003, 10:45 AM

JulesG is on a distinguished road
If you charge from flat to full then that is one charge cycle.
If you put the phone on charge when the battery is still three-quarters full,
then you are only doing 1 quarter charge to return it to full, i.e, 1/4 charge cycle.

In terms of battery life, 4 of the latter is equivalent to one of the former.

er ... remind me of the topic again?

Old 12-06-2003, 11:27 AM

Tissue is on a distinguished road
I lose 5% battery life approx every 12 hours. This is on standby mode - no screensaver and powersave on. Never left it unused for more than 12 hours, but assume i did leave it:

100% / 5% = 20
20 X 12hrs = 240hrs total

OH well, not quite the 400hrs but kills my Nokia 3210s standby time of 2 hours

Old 12-06-2003, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tissue
OH well, not quite the 400hrs but kills my Nokia 3210s standby time of 2 hours
Are you kidding, standby time of 2 hours , or just a typo.

Old 12-06-2003, 01:26 PM

Tissue is on a distinguished road
Not a typo. I had the 3210 for 6 months - from the day it came out - then the phone went obsolete and at the same time, my phone battery started to play up. From that point on i had to charge my phone everyday. A full charge would get me about 30min-45min talk time and 2 hours of standby time. I hung onto this phone from the day it came out til Feb 2003 when i bought the P800. About 5 years of torture. During this period, new phones have tempted me but i resisted the temptation cos i knew something great would come out -- THE P800

Old 12-06-2003, 02:52 PM

cheech is on a distinguished road
Lithium Polymer cells are only sensitive to cold where the charge will reduce quite a bit. Cycling the charge is no problem for usage but of course life is never for ever but expect enough for at least till the successor.
Ads