All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-06-2003, 01:20 AM

Upgrading firmware - out of warranty!!!

<Sorry about the repeat...this is still a problem for me and SE are not being helpful>

Hoping someone can help.

I live in Australia but bought a P800 during my last trip to Hong Kong. Phone works fine except a little issue sending email. SE support recommended that I get the firmware upgraded. When I presented at an authorised SE service centre I was lectured on the lack of International warranty. (I didn't read the fine print and believed my HK retailers lies!...no-one to blame but myself)

When I enquired as to whether they would do the software upgrade for a charge they said they were reluctant to do so. This was because their previous experience with other Ericsson products indicated that if they attempted to load the Australian software on hardware from another country, the phone would freeze up and not be recoverable.

A few questions:

1. Is the hardware the same for both Hong Kong and Australia? If not, what are the differences?

2. Can an Australian software load be put on a P800 from Hong Kong successfully?

3. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I should do? (other than courier the phone to Hong Kong)

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I AM UNABLE TO GET THE PHONE UPGRADED IF I AM PREPARED TO PAY.

My current firmware is:

Phone: CXC162002 R1D
Bluetooth: CXC12529 R2C
Organiser: CXC162001 R1F01
CDA: CDA162001/9 R1F04

Aussie SB

Old 03-06-2003, 02:05 AM

Tissue is on a distinguished road
If they dont accept international warranty, you will have to pay around $30-40 for the upgrade.

1. I believe the hardware is the same. HK phones are called P802.
Heres the software differences:

P800 - Standard Version
- Europe, Middle East, Americas, Latin Asia
- Latin characters (a, b, c, ..) on the flip
- Latin character handwriting recognition

P802 - Chinese Version
- Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan
- Chinese Flips and input methods
- Chinese handwriting recognition
- Chinese Dictionary
- Lunar Calendar
- Chinese games

2. Not sure. Call this number 1300 650 050 (Sony Ericsson, Australia) and ask them.

3. Call the number above

For P800 users, you can get chinese input for the phone. So no need to buy a P802.

Old 03-06-2003, 02:10 AM

I definitely own a P800 (as opposed to a P802).

SE Australia have been unhelpful. They just state that they can make no guarantees as to whether a software upgrade applied through an Australian service centre will successfully load on a unit sold in HK. They say that considering it is not warranty service, it is between me and the service centre.

The service centre people say that unless SE can definitively say that there is no issue with putting the software upgrade on the unit, they won't attempt it.

What would happen if I moved countries? Is my only option, to send the unit to the country of purchase for any service (whether I am willing to pay or not)???

Old 03-06-2003, 02:28 AM

If you have a P800, then there shouldnt be any problems. Call up the number above and tell them your story. If they say its ok, then ask them for a letter of confirmation addressed to the SE service centre. IF you are based in Melbourne, take it to Accords in the city. They are very helpful. It cost $33 to get the phone upgraded there.

Old 03-06-2003, 02:39 AM

Or wait till you can get a DSS-20 desk stand and get one. Soon SE will start to release system updates over the internet, and you need the new desk stand to write them to your phone. My SE contact had no clue why the old sync station didn't had this capability. But the good news is that soon we'll be able to download the system updates that fits to the phone we own and do the update at home.

Old 03-06-2003, 05:15 AM

Eric Chu is on a distinguished road
I don't think there's a difference of Hardware between HK and Australia.

As I'm in HK. There's a difference between product selling through local agent and overseas agent. Local agent has to fulfill SE's marketing policies and price settings etc and get local SE warranty. Other retail shop procure their handsets from oversea agencies and receive no local warranty but they can sell at a substantial discount (10% or more). I think it's popular even in other countries if products do not carry "international warranty".

However, I don't believe that you cannot maintain or upgrade even agreeing to pay a charge. Just ask other SE service centre in Australia. I don't think it's a good idea to send the phone back because as I understand, repairing or maintainance can be done with products without SE centres easily but not for firmware upgrade. Also, the postage and insurance might be higher than you pay to local SE centres.
Ads

Old 03-06-2003, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tissue
If they dont accept international warranty, you will have to pay around $30-40 for the upgrade.

1. I believe the hardware is the same. HK phones are called P802.
Heres the software differences:

P800 - Standard Version
- Europe, Middle East, Americas, Latin Asia
- Latin characters (a, b, c, ..) on the flip
- Latin character handwriting recognition

P802 - Chinese Version
- Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan
- Chinese Flips and input methods
- Chinese handwriting recognition
- Chinese Dictionary
- Lunar Calendar
- Chinese games

2. Not sure. Call this number 1300 650 050 (Sony Ericsson, Australia) and ask them.

3. Call the number above

For P800 users, you can get chinese input for the phone. So no need to buy a P802.
Tissue,

As I remind in other posts, your information regarding P800/P802 is outdated. The final arrangement is only handsets available is China are labelled P802. Others in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore is still P800.

On the other hand, there is no Chinese langauge upgrade for non-Chinese version of P800. It happens in HK that many users ended up selling their English P800 which first available here in late March.

Old 03-06-2003, 05:40 AM

Ok. I was only going with what i have. Sorry for the false info everyone. I have a P800, bought in australia, and i can have chinese handwritng recogition installed. I have all the files ready for installation but never got around to doing it cos ill never write in chinese

Old 03-06-2003, 10:23 AM

Tissue,

Sorry to pinpoint at you. But I think massive and accurate information should help the forum exist. Therefore, it's important to share correct information and correct those might be false.

By the way, non Chinese version shouldn't have the Chinese fontset, what's the program you get for chinese recognition. I'll be interested to know and tell people in HK no need to exchange their English P800 handsets for a Chinese one .

Old 03-06-2003, 11:13 AM

Bigfeat is on a distinguished road
"International Warranty"... I never thought there were restrictions on service points based on place of purchase. The states have never had a problem about servicing a phone purchased elsewhere. As long as they've got the tools to fix it one is covered fully. As many personal phones that I have imported into the US in the past few years I don't remember SE ever asking me where I have purchased the phone. As long as the company logo etched in the phones ID that's all they cared about.

B I G F E A T E N T E R T A I N M E N T

Old 03-06-2003, 11:47 AM

Ericchu,

Its not a program. They are files extracted from P802. You copy them into your system folder on your P800 and WALLAH.

Old 03-06-2003, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeat
"International Warranty"... I never thought there were restrictions on service points based on place of purchase. The states have never had a problem about servicing a phone purchased elsewhere. As long as they've got the tools to fix it one is covered fully. As many personal phones that I have imported into the US in the past few years I don't remember SE ever asking me where I have purchased the phone. As long as the company logo etched in the phones ID that's all they cared about.
Then you have to make sure you have it next time you purchase other electronic devices. Check the warranty or license that come with your device, it happens for many electronic products.

Old 03-06-2003, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tissue
Ericchu,

Its not a program. They are files extracted from P802. You copy them into your system folder on your P800 and WALLAH.
Brilliant, are you copying all the files? or just a few files? I doubt if you can replace some system files in the ROM by simply copying files into RAM. It would be great if you can share in the forum.

Old 03-06-2003, 05:08 PM

rickpaul is on a distinguished road
The P802 and P800C are the same phone. The label on the back of the P800c just states P800. They have chinese characters on the flippad. Jotter will only work in chinese, even if you have english as your selected language.

Through EMMA II, you can only put P800 Taiwan Chinese, P800 Hong Kong Chinese, P800 Singapore Simplified Chinese, and P802 Simplified Chinese on the phone. EMMA II will not put any other languages onto the phones as of yet.

If you have those languages, then you either have a P800c, or a P802. If you have other languages, then you have a regular P800 which should have a one year warranty (depending on your country). You do not need a receipt if your phone was manufactured within the one year period.

There is no official policy that states firmware updates are part of the warranty. Warranty updates are only supposed to be free when they are tagged as mandatory updates. There are no mandatory updates for the P800. If you get them done for free, then great.

Old 04-06-2003, 01:02 AM

Ericchu,

You copy some files into your memory stick file system (recommended). Once you have done that, you go to the text input setup and select chinese input as your primary input method. Only thing that can go wrong, if this input is set and you reboot without your memory stick inserted, youre SCREWED.

I can upload all the files and instructions if the moderators grants me permission.

cheers