All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-07-2002, 05:37 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
FAQ: How do I create my own custom CBA/ right area textures?

As a preview of a forthcoming attraction here's something to look at (comments appreciated) and its an alpha version

CBA Textures are probably one of the most tricky things to make. There are quite a few steps involved. However they are relatively simple. You just need patience. You should craefully read the following procedure. This is one method, there are others that you see documented elsewhere.

You need to obtain the program BMPCONV.exe; this program converts BMP files into MBM file. MBM format (multi bitmap file) is the Symbian graphics format, and is used by the Operating System for System graphics. BMPCONV.exe can be downloaded from Symbian's site and is also found of the Nokia 92x0 SDK's (looks in the Tools Directory). This program runs on a Windows PC. The SDK is available for free via Forum Nokia (by download or on CD).

You then need to create (or obtain from elsewhere) between 1 and 4 BMP files to use as your CBA Textures. They should be 130 x 200 pixels. However the horizontal width (130) is not constant when they are displayed on the 9210 (it changes depending on the text in the CBA), and you may wish to experiment with smaller and or larger widths.

The next step is running BMPCONV.exe to convert the BMP files into 1 MBM files. This can de done via the command like. An easier method is to first create a text file with the commands in it and use the text file as an argument when running BMPCONV.exe

You should place all the graphics and BMPCONV.exe into the same folder. You should then create a new text file in this folder (call in filelist.txt). The contents of this file should be as follows:
[code:1]
anyname.mbm
/c24yourpic.bmp
/c24yourpic2.bmp
/c24yourpic3.bmp
/c24yourpic4.bmp
[/code:1]

The first part specifies the name of the MBM to be created. The following 4 lines specify the graphic file to be included in the MBM file. The first part of the last frour lines 'c24' is a variable describing resolution at which the file should be encoded (the second part is obviously the file name of the graphic you are including in the MBM). You can also use a value of c16 for the resolution (and c4, c8, c12). Use either c16 or c24 for best results. The number stands for bits per pixel.

You should then go to the DOS prompt (or equivalent) and go to the folder in which you have stored BMPCONV.exe, the graphics file and the text file. Once there enter the following:
bmconv filelist.txt
[/code:1]

If you have done everything correctly the following will be displayed:
BMCONV version 103.
Compiling...
Multiple Bitmap store type: File store
Epoc file: anyname.mbm

Bitmap file 1 : yourpic1.BMP
Bitmap file 2 : yourpic2.BMP
Bitmap file 3 : yourpic3.BMP
Bitmap file 4 : yourpic4.BMP
success.[/code:1]

You have created the MBM file and you can now use it as specified in 4.4.1. Remember the file should be named display.mbm and placed in the C:/System/Data/ directory.

As an additional tip you can also change the name of the Textures (as they appear in the Display applet in the control panel) by editing the display.rsc file. However do not use names longer than the existing ones the Display applet will crash.

You may also wish to check this thread out the All About ER6 forums.

Old 12-07-2002, 07:07 AM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
Re: FAQ: How do I create my own custom CBA/ right area textu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
As a preview of a forthcoming attraction here's something to look at (comments appreciated) and its an alpha version
Don't quite understand what you mean with this
But your explenation is totaly correct The code tag looks handy.

Old 12-07-2002, 10:24 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Re: FAQ: How do I create my own custom CBA/ right area textu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Don't quite understand what you mean with this
But your explenation is totaly correct The code tag looks handy.
he he - you're not really mean to, unless you have a really good memory...

Rafe

Old 12-07-2002, 10:48 AM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
Let me guess a new er6 skin?

Old 12-07-2002, 11:47 AM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazler
Let me guess a new er6 skin?
Nope... better than that. (Well at least I think so...)

Old 13-07-2002, 01:06 PM

Time will tell I suppose )

Old 16-07-2002, 09:29 AM

test test uhu uhu

Old 16-07-2002, 07:46 PM

gwailo67 is on a distinguished road
An animated screensaver perhaps?

Old 14-10-2002, 10:29 AM

pakape is on a distinguished road
dispaly.rsc

What kind of program i can edit that display.rsc file? Because i want change my own "theme" sidebar names... I try PC prog notepad but when i edit the file and move it back on 9210, it could not read it...

Sorry my english

Thanks

Old 14-10-2002, 11:07 AM

bin machine is on a distinguished road
Hex editor will do.
Ho Ho Ho.

Old 14-10-2002, 12:20 PM

Yes try the hex editor to edit display.rsc

And instead of bmconv you could use MBM Whizard

Old 15-10-2002, 01:04 AM

apcaw is on a distinguished road
Im having a hard time searching fot the BMPCONV.exe software on the symbian website. Can anyone direct me straigth to it? or is the Wizard also good enough for starting to change the sides?
Thanks.

Old 15-10-2002, 06:55 AM

It is included with MBM Whizard

Old 19-10-2002, 07:09 PM

n9k is on a distinguished road
Yip! I still stick with the "MBM Whizard!" I personally feel It much faster and easier rather than the previous way.

Old 20-10-2002, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
/me looks at the complicated arrangement of scripts and software previously used by himself and Loonyworld for skinning up.........

BAH!
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.