All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-05-2003, 06:47 PM

kingrob is on a distinguished road
Friends don't let friends buy Nokias....

Well, I got my replacement P800 yesterday, but only got home at 00:15 this morning, so didn't have time to charge it properly. Now I'm stuck today with my old/backup Nokia8310 - and I already miss my P800 soo much!!

My question is - will/can you allow yourself nowadays to be seen in public with a Nokia 3650/any other Nokia? Is it still acceptable/fashionable to have a Nokia? :black:

Old 02-05-2003, 07:19 PM

barflux is on a distinguished road
How long must you leave it on charge the first time?

Nick

Old 02-05-2003, 07:33 PM

P800 writer is on a distinguished road
Many people here think Nokia phones are fashionable here in Hong Kong, with their 7250, 7210, 6610 or 3650. It's a normal practice to go with the Nokia. They are daxn popular. Of course those with 8310, 8250 or 8210 are playing low.

If you carries a P800, you are really stand out from the crowd!

Old 02-05-2003, 07:37 PM

Barflux, the SE manual says 'at least for 4 hours when charging the phone for the first time', but my local Vodafone shop suggested 7 hours....

I think I'll go for seven hours, to be safe.

Old 03-05-2003, 01:25 PM

Accela is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by P800 writer
Many people here think Nokia phones are fashionable here in Hong Kong, with their 7250, 7210, 6610 or 3650. It's a normal practice to go with the Nokia. They are daxn popular. Of course those with 8310, 8250 or 8210 are playing low.

Yeah, its a sad thing everyone is practically obsessed with Nokia and everything else seems so sub-standard. :robot:

Old 03-05-2003, 02:09 PM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by P800 writer

Even worse here in Holland (and in Switzerland too, BTW). Everyone here has a Nokia 3310. And they actually think that is cool. :-?

Off-course there are always a few business-men, and they all have the Nokia 6310(i).

Old 03-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Nokia have a much better grasp of User Interfaces from simple phones like the 3310 my Mum can work, to the Series 60 for the more powerful user. I still have many niggles on UIQ, bits missed out (maybe for legal reasons...) and things that aren't just right.

Nokia are on the ball here, andthat's why people have them. As to fashion, well it all depends if Keanu changes manufacturers in Matrix 3: Blue Screen Of Death.
-- Twitter: @ewan
Ads

Old 04-05-2003, 12:14 AM

It has always been Nokia for me. Maybe because there just wasn't anything else/better on the market (before Sony and Ericcson formed the alliance) that could compare - and Nokia got so lazy, being the market leader, that they started to rest on their laurels.

Looking at their latest phones, I just can't get excited. They bring out 'new' phones, but there's nothing really new! They changed the layout of the keypad on the 7210 (to make it look more 'trendy'/funky/different?) and sell it as a 'new' phone? (Okay, it finally got a colour screen, but it would've been suicide to release a new phone in 2003, without colour support.) I think Nokia tried to make it a-must-have-phone-if-you-still-want-to-be-one-of-the-'in'-crowd, but at the expense of making it difficult/impossible for any owner to compose a text message with one hand - how's that for progress?

Then they released the 8910 - no colour support, made out of titanium and supporting bluetooth, but I'm still trying to figure out why they actually provided bluetooth functionality with that phone. You can't sync with Outlook, um, which would've been most important for any business user, whom I assumed they targeted with the 8910, because of the titanium design and hefty price tag. Maybe so they could print their contacts to a bluetooth printer, or use it with a handsfree bluetooth carkit?

I think the first time Nokia really started to worry, was when Sony released the Z5 - what an awesome phone! Luckily for them, the Z5 suffered from a horrible echo when making calls with it and the word started to spread - what a disappointment for people who thought they *finally* had a choice of quality mobile phones again!

So, I guess that's why I always bought a Nokia - until now, that is....

Old 04-05-2003, 12:40 AM

aaronjb is on a distinguished road
I'd always preferred Nokia phones too (like a lot of people, I suspect). In fact, three of us at work refused to buy anything but Nokias..

Thinking back, my first GSM phone was a Motorola TAC - y'know, brick with a flip and a pull-out bendy aerial. It was robust, at least

Followed by a Mitsibushi MT-20 - fantastic phone, well ahead of it's time in design and features, about the size of a mars bar. Unfortunately, after a year it started 'eating' SIM cards. The SIM's would stop working - stick them in a friends Ericsson and then back in the Mitsi and they'd be OK for a while again.

So I upgraded to a Nokia 6110 - lovely phone. Really did love it, IR support, data support, nice keypad, good screen for it's time, nice menu structure, and it didn't even care when it bounced across the server room floor accidentally.

Then came the 7110 - loads of people had problems with these, if I recall, but I loved mine - one of the first to get one when they came out, too. WAP was fun, for about five minutes, but I loved the style, the size was perfect for my hands, comfortable, great call quality, the same menus I loved from the 6110, and sending texts was great. Oh and that huge memory (for it's time) to hold text messages, inbox, outbox, sent items.. Loved it.

That was followed by a Sony Z5. God I hated that phone! Couldn't get rid of it quick enough, in fact I don't know how I managed to wait a whole year for my upgrade time to come around again! (Damn Cellnet) The keypad was vile, texts were impossible to type (ok, ok, I have big hands), and it could only store 10 texts at a time because it stored them all on my circa 1996 Cellnet SIM card. I vowed only to ever buy Nokia again.

So I bought a Samsung T100. Erm. How'd that happen? Well it looked sexy, it had a colour screen, nice keypad, and it was a clamshell and really small again. Just a shame about the darned aerial that got stuck in my pockets. And the lack of decent predictive text - it didn't even have a learning dictionary :( And again, if I recall, could only store 20 texts (new Genie SIM by then).

Replaced that with a 7210 - and damn did they make texting hard! Screen was OK though, I didn't have the typical problems with it (interference patterns), I got my outbox/sent items back again after two years of waiting (yay!) and decent predictive text. However, about 50% of the time that one person sent me texts (a 'friend' from a T100 on Voda, who always had delivery reports switched on) the phone would crash, requiring me to pull the battery. Well, after about two weeks of ownership it crashed. And never came back on. Seriously - it still won't switch on, and I haven't gotten around to taking it to a repair centre to be fixed.

So I got a 6610 - same as the 7210 inside. Yup. Identical. It's the same phone in a different case for gods sake! And Nokia call that having a model lineup? Keyboard was nicer, apart from the down arrow hardly working because the keypad didn't really line up with the 7210's innerds. Guess what - same problem with crashing on those text messages.

So I shelled out again and got the P800. Ahh. Love. It's a wonderful thing. ops:
There are still things about the P800 that bug me, don't get me wrong - no predictive text with the flip shut, and using the flip itself is pretty vile as far as keypads go. It's too quiet, ringtones and speaker volume. But.. It's a great PDA, for me at least - in fact it's replaced my iPaq for everything but Satnav. Bluetooth is incredibly useful, I love my Jabra headset. Mp3 playback? How cool! Well, when I get a 128Mb Duo, anyway

Anyway - rant over.. Just echoing the point that for me at least, the P800 was really the first viable alternative to a Nokia. One of the guys at work has got the 3650 now, and I really don't like it - looks like a kids toy. I've seen the 7650 too, which I prefer to the 3650 but.. It still doesn't do anything to me. Mind you, the quality of the pictures cr*ps all over the quality of the P800's pictures - with R1A firmware at least..

Ok, now I'm really finished babbling

Old 04-05-2003, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrob
(Okay, it finally got a colour screen, but it would've been suicide to release a new phone in 2003, without colour support.)
What about the Nokia 2100? It's a "new" phone, and it's still gray :-?

Oh, and about the 8910, they made an 8910i version now, with color, but I heard the reception and audio quality are really the worst. That's not what you expect from a 900 phone, do you :-?

Old 05-05-2003, 07:35 PM

Mind you, I wonder which Nokia phone will feature in the Matrix Reloaded?

I'm still glad the latest Bond movie had the P800!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2003, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
I've used nokias all my life,now i'm geting the p800,at least,untill the communicator replacement.
I'll never give up my 7650.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 05-05-2003, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrob

Mind you, I wonder which Nokia phone will feature in the Matrix Reloaded?

I'm still glad the latest Bond movie had the P800!!!!!!
I heard on infosync that a new Samsung phone will feature in the Matrix Reloaded...

Old 05-05-2003, 09:00 PM

Jay3gsm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nokia have a much better grasp of User Interfaces from simple phones like the 3310 my Mum can work, to the Series 60 for the more powerful user. I still have many niggles on UIQ, bits missed out (maybe for legal reasons...) and things that aren't just right.
That is absolutely spot on. The P800 should be, by its feature set alone, one step up from the 7650, but its not. I'm struggling to convince myself to use it, it feels 'unfinished'. I have to use the 7650 just to stop myself getting so frustrated by what the P800 lacks. I use my old 6310i just as an alarm clock these days, because the P800 lacks a fully working version. I hope it will get better, I want to like this phone. But the 7650 just does it, straight away, no fuss. That is very appealing.

Quote:
I heard on infosync that a new Samsung phone will feature in the Matrix Reloaded...
The phone in the new MAtrix film is made by Samsung, and will be available to purchase.

Old 05-05-2003, 10:24 PM

The P800 has a great alarm clock! What I like, is that you can just select 'working days' when setting a alarm, thus your phone won't go off 07:00 on a Saturday morning - that is superb! With my Nokia 8310, I had to set the alarm every bloody night....

I guess you mean you can't switch the P800 off for the alarm to work?