All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-04-2003, 12:15 PM

JulesG is on a distinguished road
Flight Mode vs Flight Attendant

So in just a few hours I intend to deploy my P800 in flight mode actually during a flight. :shocked!:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can explain to the flight attendant that, although the thing in my hands does indeed look like a cellphone, and, for most of the time, also acts as one, at this precise instant it is, in fact, not a cellphone, and therefore quite safe to use!

Any "flight speak" phrases that work?
or do airlines now have photofits of "legal" PDAs?

er ... remind me of the topic again?
Ads

Old 17-04-2003, 12:35 PM

Try explaining that when in the telephone mode it shows instead of the operator name a message flight mode should confirm that it is for flight. Also the left lower coner where usually are the marks showing signal strenght have a crossed out red circle. And if that is not enough my suggestion is to have a manual with you with the flight mode marked out.
My suggestions

Old 17-04-2003, 01:04 PM

cvt is on a distinguished road
take the keypad off - it will look like a pda.

i presume you would be using the phone in flip open mode anyway.

Old 17-04-2003, 01:16 PM

enterprise is on a distinguished road
I think your subject title says it all "Flight Mode vs Flight Attendant".
If they insist that you have to turn it off and put it aside, I think just comply, because resistance is futile :robot:

Old 17-04-2003, 01:22 PM

Flight Mode- recent experience

Just last week I took an America West Flight from Las Vegas back to BWI airport, and at takeoff, the flight attendents said:

"...even if your device has a 'flight mode' or 'radio off' setting, you still have to turn it off and it cannot be turned back on until the plane lands..."

if they don't catch you, great...but if they do, don't make a fuss...airlines these days don't fool around with what they deem to be 'unruly passengers'

Old 17-04-2003, 01:24 PM

helixblue is on a distinguished road
On Scandinavian Airlines I just told them it was a PDA and not a cellphone.

Old 17-04-2003, 01:40 PM

JulesG is on a distinguished road
So... you don't think offering to phone SE on it so they can explain would be a good idea then?

I suspect it will be the "I'll turn it off if you give me all your vodka" approach then

er ... remind me of the topic again?

Old 17-04-2003, 01:40 PM

MemphisX is on a distinguished road
Some companies don't even allow you to use a single compact disk player, any electronic device to be more specific when on a flight. Are they so afraid? Thank God they are a minority...

Old 17-04-2003, 01:41 PM

gazcart is on a distinguished road
Maybe put mobi book reader on it , take the flip off then rotate viewing to landscape and tell them its a book reader, once they are happy with that they might leave you alone when you start pulling out all the bells and whistles

Old 17-04-2003, 01:55 PM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
Despite there being no real evidence to back up the claims of it being dangerous, the airlines instill the fear of god into flight attendants about mobile phones (my missus is an ex flight attendant). I actually saw one scream at this guy, rip the cell phone out of his hand and turn it off a couple of years ago. She genuinely seemed to believe the plane would just drop out of the sky or something.

So it's best not to argue!

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe

Old 17-04-2003, 02:51 PM

johnniechan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisX
Some companies don't even allow you to use a single compact disk player, any electronic device to be more specific when on a flight. Are they so afraid? Thank God they are a minority...
I flew with Polkovo, on a Russian domestic flight recently... They told people to turn their phones off. But everyone just ignored the flight attendant and were using laptops, phone etc during takeoff and landing!
I guess I'm lucky to be writing this! Bit dodgy to see the pilot with a spannar and torch looking at the radar nose cone whilst I was walking away from the plane!

Anyway, on a normal airline it really does come down to whether you can convince the flight attendant.

Old 17-04-2003, 02:51 PM

Accela is on a distinguished road
Heck, it is only a "possibility" that devices that transmi/connect to a network will interfere with the machines onboard! Geez, any devices including cellphones. You can wonder at their paranoid behaviours and understand their caution approach at the same time. Did she really screamed and did that!? Well, thats just plain substandard in service.

Old 17-04-2003, 03:31 PM

tybollt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by enterprise
I think your subject title says it all "Flight Mode vs Flight Attendant".
If they insist that you have to turn it off and put it aside, I think just comply, because resistance is futile :robot:
Indeed it is, bear in mind that flight crews have strict regulations these days and they are under orders to act on any suspicion of potential troublemakers.
Some airlines even give their flighatendants pepperspray and handcuffs these days.

So if you mildly argue that you should be allowed to have the phone on and they still rebutt it, do COMPLY for the sake of your own safety.

Old 17-04-2003, 03:46 PM

Accela is on a distinguished road
Hmm.. Anyone remember the movie Anger Management? "Can I have a headset please?"

Old 17-04-2003, 07:33 PM

headshox is on a distinguished road
what i dont get is that whilst planes are taking off and landing they will be being bombarded by thousands of microwaves anyway as they pass through the streams to and from people using phones in and around the airport.

Seems a bit silly to me.