All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-05-2002, 08:08 PM

omar_g is on a distinguished road
WOuld it be possibleto make a pair of earphones for the 9210's MP3 player?

I'm supprised that nobody seems to have asked this before. How owuld I add an aditional ear phone to a 9210 Handsfree kit? I know the unit only outputs a mono signal but it should be possible to route that through both left and right earpieces shouldn't it?

-Omar
Ads

Old 29-05-2002, 10:20 PM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
should be simple, cut the wire going to the earphone (from handsfreeset).
It should be 2 wires. In some types it's 1 without plastic (copper) (ground) around it and 1 coloured (sound). Other types have 2 wires with plastic then use the black or blue wire as ground.

Having this you know cut the jack of a simple stereo headphone. Almost all headphone of this type use 2 plastic tubes (black) each containing 2 wires
-one with a white and copper wire
-the other with a red and copper wire
the copper wire is twisted arround the plastic of the other wire so be carefull they break easely.

now
you connect all the copper wires (all the grounds) with each other, then connect all the coloured wires together.
Now you have what you wanted [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img])
get some black tape and noone will notice [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

It seems/sounds hard but it really isn't, it's just hard to explain [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

If you really don't know which one is the ground on the handsfreekit just try them both (connect both wires as above, then switch), it won't harm anything, choose the one that sounds best [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]) In these small circuits it almost doesn't matter if you connect them correct, so it could be both ways sound equally good [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Old 31-05-2002, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
It was asked before and as it's possible to use the headphone from a hands free kit to listen to the music, it's feasibly possible to modify the base unit of a hands free kit to be a mini-jack-socket for your headphones. Someone on here has done it as I've seen the photos.

For the more hardcore, if you know the connections it should be possible to wire up an internal jacksocket to the phone, though this would invalidate any warranties and involve drilling a small hole in the case for the socket......

LET'S GET CASE-MODDING!!!! (erm.... (C; )
[addsig]
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 31-05-2002, 08:02 PM

omar_g is on a distinguished road
Now THAT sounds intresting. A portable MP3 player in my 9210 would possibly convince me not to get a P800 [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2002, 05:57 AM

Yeah it is easy enouph to do. I have connected earphone to an existing portable handsfree, by using a male and female 2.5mm jack plug. I have also connected 2 external speakers in the same way which run on batteries and have a built in amplifier. Another way is to drill a hole in the 9210 housing and mount a plug their. I will wait till its out of warranty before I do anything like that.

Cheers
Ian