All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-04-2003, 07:41 PM

yourmanlee is on a distinguished road
NeuVoice problems, can anyone help?

Friends, Romans, Symbians. Lend me your ears...

Installed a trial version of Neuvoice by Handango.com the other day, and after playing with it for a while decided that it wasn't my cup of tea, so i'd remove it.

But Tool/Manager/remove won't do the job! Well, it removes the icons from the directory (i had it in root directory) but it still shows up under manager and is (apparantly) still taking up 200k+ of memory!!

I get the message "removal failed. system error" come up when i try and remove. :(

Any ideas out there?

Please excuse me if this has been asked before.

Thanx. Lee

*yourmanlee*
University of Surrey UK

Old 09-04-2003, 07:54 PM

MemphisX is on a distinguished road
Try to reinstall and re-uninstall

Old 09-04-2003, 08:05 PM

Urpo is on a distinguished road
Before re-uninstall remember to close the app.

Old 09-04-2003, 11:39 PM

lakeywhite is on a distinguished road
I have noticed that some programs that run background tasks, like neu voice, need to be uninstalled once to get rid of some of the program and also to stop the system from loading background tasks from the program next time the phone is turned on.
When this is done you have a half uninstalled program in the app manager.
So turn off the phone and back on again and then go to app manager and complete the uninstall in the normal way.

Hope that helps.
Ads

Old 10-04-2003, 07:49 AM

liverpool lad is on a distinguished road
NeuVoice actually generates 2 apps, the tag manager & the tag recogniser. That may be why you uninstall, and there is still something left.

If you look at Stacker or Space Doubler, they will say that the apps are only about 20k each - BUT, as you know, there's a lot more in there somewhere!

You'll find the extra bit in C:\system\data\neuvoice, a lot of wav files which (depending on how many tags you created) will hold well over 100k. It seems that the file manager never deletes program databases (eg minigps, world clock) when uninstalling programs.

Also for that matter, the compressor does not compress the database, at least by default. - is it practical to compress app databases without wrecking the app??

I recently uninstalled NeuVoice (I've got the registered version with a whole load of voice tags) to create some space to install a big app, and manually deleted this directory. No adverse reactions. Then I reinstalled, and the directory was created without a problem.

All the same, (I think its an unnecessary precaution, but all the same) backup your phone to the PC first and delete that directory, and wathc your available space increase!

Paul

Old 10-04-2003, 08:37 AM

yourmanlee is on a distinguished road
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your help. Much Appreciated
I think its sorted now. The warning messages do not flash up any more and it seems to have gone for good.
I'm always a little cautious when downloading trials. Of course, i've had the Wildskinz problem and now this. No problems when buying/installing the actual apps tho.

What's people's general views on Neuvoice? Have to say it didn't impress me much. The cheesey 'speak after the tone' sound ain't great. I guess nowadays everyone has their own personalised Voicemail greeting so they had to sack the nice lady that does the default voicemail greetings.She obviously managed to find new employment with Handango and Neuvoice!

Thanks Again

Lee

*yourmanlee*
University of Surrey UK

Old 10-04-2003, 09:13 AM

liverpool lad is on a distinguished road
Well, I quite like it, if only to bark "infrared" at the phone & it launches the service...

It is very big tho, especially if you create loads of tags. If you have several phone nēs inside 1 entry in the phone book, it will let you choose which one.

Speech Recognition is very good.

the only downer (apart from its size) for me is that it does not accept DMTF tones (the standard voice control from Nokia does), to automate access to a password protected voice mail I use. Also, the hands-free earpiece is not yet supported, altho' you can press the button on the side of the phone and then use NeuVoice via the earpiece microphone. (To access my voice mail on the move, I just press the button on the earpiece, and use the standard Nokia tag).

In short, I'm persevering with it, it's big, NeuVoice do not update as frequently as Psiloc do for example...

In short I find it useful, but it could also be better in key areas. Horses for courses...

Paul