All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-02-2012, 02:48 PM

tawalker is on a distinguished road
WebDAV access from File Manager gone from Belle

I updated my N8 to Belle last week, and in general I'm reasonably pleased with it so far. However, there are quite a few items missing from the new OS version compared to Anna - most range from trivial to mildly irritating (for instance, the reduced selection of homescreen widgets), but for me at least, a couple are downright annoying.

Chief amongst the latter category in my case: the Files (formerly File Manager) app has been stripped of its WebDAV feature. For me, this is a big inconvenience, as it means that my N8 now has no built-in means of exchanging files with our home Synology NAS box. (AFAIK, Belle has no FTP, NFS or AFP client "out of the box" or available in the Store, and I'd have to cough up 3 for MyExplorer to add a Windows file-sharing (SMB) client to my N8.)

I don't know if anyone involved with Belle on the Nokia side, reads this forum, but after asking them why they felt they had to remove a genuinely-useful feature, I would plead with them either to restore the WebDAV client functionality to Files, or provide a separate app to enable some kind of file-sharing (WebDAV, SMB, FTP, whatever).

If I have to pay for a third-party client to give me this functionality, then so be it, but I do have to ask why a 2012 smartphone platform is shipping without a single means of exchanging files over a network (and I don't count USB or Bluetooth file-transfer). For that matter: does anyone know why WebDAV was removed from Files?

Maybe I'm the only user who even noticed that WebDAV was gone, but I just had to "vent" a bit...
Ads

Old 15-02-2012, 12:29 PM

Ztuka is on a distinguished road
I miss it...Would love to see mexplorer to develope their app so streming over 3G could be possible from a NAS, in this area Nokia havent done a thing since 2008-2009....
Even tha apps from yelexy.com still isnt avaialable for symbian belle...I am now again considering that windows phone with nokia would be my next step in 2012...

Last edited by Ztuka; 15-02-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Old 15-02-2012, 03:51 PM

maurice1 is on a distinguished road
I miss the webdav too and the reader and qgetmobile.

Luckily I have another N8 which I am going back to until Nokia can make belle better than Anna.

Being playing with Android and they have all this stuff working better incl VPN, except for Nokia maps