All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-09-2011, 07:16 AM

willem hordijk is on a distinguished road
Many Restarts nokia e7 after updating to Anna

After updating my e7 to Anna the e7 restarts many times.
I did the following move. set the e7 to gsm mode after this restarting problem.
Then restart your e7 to switch it off and on. After full reboot change it to dual mode.
Are there more e7 users with this problem?

Last edited by willem hordijk; 01-09-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:07 PM

Wim de Constant is on a distinguished road
Same over here

Hi Willem,

I have the same problem over here with the Anna update. I've tried your solution but for me it didn't work. At home my e7 works fine but 3G coverage is very very poor. At best I have ordinary GSM coverage and sometimes my E7 will switch to a Belgian network and my home is 5 kilometers from the border.

This morning I was somewhere with good 3G coverage and my E7 switched to 3G and immediately the process of restarting began again. At the moment I have my E7 switched to GSM only and until now it does not restart by itself. IŽll try to do some more tests later today.

I have one question for you. Are you also on the KPN network?

regards,
Wim
Ads

Old 05-09-2011, 08:46 AM

Indeed KPN network with gsm mode this restarting problem does not happen.
This morning and the weekend also problems with dual mode. It must be some bug in the Anna update.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Well the settings choose network manual I have now for a test and the dual mode settings. Indeed when the e7 is coming in a surrounding where 3g is not possible the device is rebooting. Keep posting.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:32 PM

Today I was working in Waalwijk. All day no problems with the E7 in dual mode. When I drove home the phone started rebooting near the village of Raamsdonk on the A59.

Yesterday I had to go to Brecht in Belgium and that gave me the opportunity to test on other networks, Base (kpn) & Proximus to be more specific. In Belgium I had no problems with restarting but as soon as my E7 connected to the Dutch network of KPN the restarting process began (again). Strange that the Belgian network of kpn (base) didn't cause any restarting but the again the tests weren't very thorough.

Later this week I can do some more tests on other networks which is ofcourse fairly easy living close to the border.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:12 PM

Parad0X is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Greetings from USA. I just bought E7-00 a few days ago and having the same problem . When I set my phone to GSM only it's rock solid. Setting it to dual mode or choosing 3g causes restarting. Really upset. Do you guys know if that's Anna only problem. Maybe it's gonna fixed in Belle? Really hope so.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:48 AM

I tested the e7 in France. No restart in this region. I must be the settings of the provider Yes in Holland. With a sim of t mobile no restart. So there is settings problem in the simcard. The gsm mode give no problems in The dutch region, in dual mode the e7 restart when you change position !!!

Old 21-09-2011, 11:45 AM

I've also been to France. As in Belgium no problems over there for me. Immediately after returing in Holland the phone starts rebooting. Last week I went to KPN where I had bought the phone. At the business center in Breda they have flashed my phone with the tools they have from Nokia. They suggested me to wait with restoring the backup because they thought the problem was caused by an app. I thought that was most unlikely and restored the phone because without your contacts and settings the phone is not of much use. As you already expected this didn't solve the restarting problem. After reading somewhere else on the web that the update might change something to the simcard I swapped the simcard with the one from my venerable E90, I have two simcards on the same number, but again the problem persists.
I will try to go back to KPN and ask if they can come up with a solution that will solve our problem.

regards,
Wim

Old 22-09-2011, 09:14 AM

Wim, also I changed sim cards from Yestelecom (new) also a dual sim. The restart problem is still there. I was in France in dual mode now problems. Returning home the restart problem is there again. KPN network.
More problems!!!
http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/t5/So...g/td-p/1135135

But this is the solution.
http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/t5/Ns...150853#M275556

After more than 2 weeks of combining and testing settings, I managed to get to the bottom of this annoying freeze/reboot problem and came up with a workaround that I'd like to share it with you all: it seems like Search application within Anna's core have some config / ini files messed up by default which induces OS panic in certain 3G carriers and scenarios (especially in areas with poor 3G signal, when the operating mode between 3G and GSM switches very often).

So here is the sequence you have to follow in order to restore the correct values in the Search app system files: go to Menu - Applications - Search - Settings - switch both to Off - exit the Search application (Options - Exit) - reboot the device. Then you may set the Network mode to Dual or 3G without having further issues. As a optional step, you can also restore those 2 settings from Search back to On if you'd like because there won't experience any nasty problems.

It was that strangely simple, no need to take the device at NCC for reflashing it or other radical solutions :-) Please let me know how it did work out for you.

Last edited by willem hordijk; 22-09-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Old 22-09-2011, 07:09 PM

Willem,
in France indeed the phone worked almost well. In areas with poor coverage it restarted once or twice on the Bouygues network. After manual selection of the Orange network the phone worked well in France.
The solution you provided in your last post did I notice yesterday. I thought let's give it a try before mentioning it in this forum. At first I thought it was working but later yesterday the phone began restarting.
Only when there is real good 3G coverage I have no problems with restarting on the KPN network. I'm not sure about handovers to other cells but that is most likely also a moment when the E7 will reboot because before handover reception of a base station is usually less than when you're near to it.
I'm still thinking about other possible tests that can be done that might point us in the direction of a correct and robust solution.
Luckily I have bought the E7 at KPN Business Center with the most comprehensive service agreement they can provide so I try to go over there tomorrow and tell them that the first solution they provided (reflashing the E7) didn't solve my problem and suggest they get in touch with Nokia to find a solution.

regards,
Wim

Old 23-09-2011, 09:09 AM

The solution in search both off I tested. No results the restart problem is still there. So I use on the road my e7 in gsm mode. being in a place where I read mails and surf on the internet I use quicknet http://store.ovi.com/content/50401 for quick change to dual mode. I hope the problem will be solved in the bella update.

Old 29-10-2011, 12:48 PM

After a firmware update to 25.7 the restart problem disapeared. So update to the latest firmware 25.7.

Old 30-10-2011, 08:33 PM

It's good to hear there is a solution for this annoying problem. Unfortunately it seems the new firmware version is not yet available for the productcode (059G894) of my e7. Checking with navifirm I can see that the "benelux" version is indeed available but not for the "Netherlands" version. I'm afraid I have to be patient.

regards,
Wim

Old 08-03-2012, 03:37 AM

tammana is on a distinguished road
MayorVille - Run For Mayor

Free social connect by city, talk to friends in any city around the world, share photos, news, events and more. social, connect, share, vote, photos, friends, news, events, attractions, nightlife, resturants, service,run for mayor, world mayors, top mayor, world top mayors. Congratulations, your keyword density ranges between 2-4% for your targeted keywords.