All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-08-2011, 09:23 AM

malcolmlau is on a distinguished road
N8 camera - good for moving objects?

I have an E7 and its no good for photographing my kids as 90% of the time its just a blur. I miss my old E5 camera which blurred much less.

Anyway, I am now thinking of picking up a N8 now as the price is much lower and I was wondering how it is for photographing kids. I have seen all the lovely stills people have uploaded but none of children trying their best to stand still!

Can anyone advise?

Old 26-08-2011, 12:00 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer The N8

IMHO is the best camera-phone on the market .. BUT its still a compromise .. If you want to take pictures of your kids I suggest a decent digital camera.

You already have a fine cell-phone in the E7 .. spend some of the money you are considering on a dedicated camera ..

Old 26-08-2011, 01:10 PM

xcatch22x is on a distinguished road
E7 and N8

I have both the E7 and N8 phones and find that the E7 is better for taking pics of the kids.

Why? Well it's all down to the Edof camera and the fact that it doesn't have to focus on anything like the N8 does. I found myself trying to get the N8 to foucs and by the time it does the moment has passed. I have noticed a distinct difference in the colours captured with the N8 being significantly better.

Hope this helps.

Old 27-08-2011, 05:34 AM

gsouthee is on a distinguished road
IMO, E7 is a good choice already and N8 do have 12 mega pixel camera, but E7 is good. Buying a digital camera Sony or Cannon will perform much better job.

Old 27-08-2011, 01:55 PM

k3dad is on a distinguished road
Great if you set it right

Hi there, if you go into the settings you can switch it to sport mode which I believe switches the camera to a fixed focus and means the picture is grabbed pretty much instantly.

The other option is to pre focus the shot by half pressing in advance to get the focusing out of the way so it snaps instantly when you fully press the button, not ideal but ok if you know what's coming.

I find the N8 ideal for pretty much any type of photo, you just need to set it up right sometimes.

Old 27-08-2011, 03:53 PM

kimmyb67 is on a distinguished road
That is a good choice. And it does have the best camera phone in the market so far.

As a parent, I understand that it's easier to capture our kids' moments with something handy like a phone. Just a camera is too cumbersome for those fleeting times. You want something that is naturally always on you like a phone.
Ads

Old 28-08-2011, 09:03 PM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcatch22x View Post
I have both the E7 and N8 phones and find that the E7 is better for taking pics of the kids.

Why? Well it's all down to the Edof camera and the fact that it doesn't have to focus on anything like the N8 does. I found myself trying to get the N8 to foucs and by the time it does the moment has passed. I have noticed a distinct difference in the colours captured with the N8 being significantly better.

Hope this helps.
why not just use sports mode / landscape mode on the n8?? this way it keeps everything from a set distance in focus and doesnt need to auto focus :-)

that way you get the best of both worlds surely :-)

Old 29-08-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcatch22x View Post

Hope this helps.
Doesn't the N8 have a super fast AF? Thats what i read. The E7 gives good results in daylight but indoors, its almost always blurry.

Old 29-08-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmyb67 View Post
That is a good choice. And it does have the best camera phone in the market so far.

As a parent, I understand that it's easier to capture our kids' moments with something handy like a phone. Just a camera is too cumbersome for those fleeting times. You want something that is naturally always on you like a phone.
Yes you're right. I have 3 kids (1 is only 7months old) and I have a nice big camera too but i find it a burden to carry. Hence i need the best camera phone for whipping out and snap! But i need the pics to be in focus!

Old 29-08-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3dad View Post
Hi there, if you go into the settings you can switch it to sport mode which I believe switches the camera to a fixed focus and means the picture is grabbed pretty much instantly.

The other option is to pre focus the shot by half pressing in advance to get the focusing out of the way so it snaps instantly when you fully press the button, not ideal but ok if you know what's coming.

I find the N8 ideal for pretty much any type of photo, you just need to set it up right sometimes.
I can cope with the halfway press technique. But will the N8 be quick enough to take a focused shot this way? Obviously, if the object speed is fast then no cameraphone can do it. Just small movements that cause my E7 and Android phone to blur, especially indoors.

Old 29-08-2011, 12:22 PM

Both My Phones

Look, I just wanted both phones and now you guys are creating ever diminishing reason to own both. Stop it now!! :-)

Yep, the N8 does have the sport and landscape mode but I dont have it set that way as default and as I have the E7 too, I like to use this as a family photo snapper rather than the N8.

I must admit to never doing a comparison between the N8 at 9mp on landscape and the E7 at 8mp edof. I will try this now and report back with some pics.

Old 29-08-2011, 12:39 PM

Pics

Now they are just quick and dirty shots from both phones, which is exactly how most of my pics are taken of the kids. Both cameras are on stock settings apart from the N8 is in landscape mode at 9mp.

N8 first

http://smitheyclose.co.uk/AAS/N8.jpg

E7
http://smitheyclose.co.uk/AAS/E7.jpg

Last edited by xcatch22x; 29-08-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Old 30-08-2011, 08:49 AM

well, to me they both look good. but i still don't know if the N8 is better than the E7 for photos of the kids. I have 2 phones too, the other being an Android Dell Streak. And i am frustrated that I can't get any decent pics of my kids, even the slightest movement is blurred.