All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-12-2006, 06:36 PM

Cash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunarea
Well done Cash. I think we all have bought a programe or game we thought would be useful and then we found out it was rubbish (not all programs come with a trial version so you're forced to buy it. It happened to me a few times that something i bought proved to be under my expectations. Any chance of getting my money back? Hell no! Anyway, of the hundreds of pirated versions of programs i installed just out of curiosity, or thinking it would be something useful, maybe i use less then 10, the rest i have uninstalled after a few days or weeks. Should i have paid for all that rubbish? I don't think so. On the other hand, i did pay for some programs i liked after trying them and thinking i would use them more than once or twice.
If I also get progs and games that are pirated and I do find the progs good and worth the money, and do what they actually say they do then i also pay.

But I have also, like you tried progs that are either crap or dont work or dont actually do what they say, and parting with my hard earned cash to buy this type of crap would not make me very happy.

As always its a 2 way system .. both sides have their minus and plus points .

Damn .. I made another post about this ...

But thanks for the support.....

Old 13-12-2006, 06:43 PM

dunarea is on a distinguished road
You know what they say... the best things in life are free....

Old 13-12-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
You know what they say... the best things in life are free....
Except my free truphone calls...I cant connect to the Damn network ...haha .. I suppose what goes around comes around ....we always pay in the end one way or another ..

Old 13-12-2006, 06:52 PM

dunarea is on a distinguished road
I'm using Lowratevoip, i topped up 10 euros and i can call most european landlines, US landlines and mobiles for free for 30 days, then for 1 cent per minute, and it works very well on my N80. UK landline calls are also free for 30 days, and if you top up again after 30 days, you get another 30 days free. So far happy with it, also cheap calls to european mobiles (about 13 cents per minute).

Old 13-12-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I'm using Lowratevoip, i topped up 10 euros and i can call most european landlines, US landlines and mobiles for free for 30 days, then for 1 cent per minute, and it works very well on my N80. UK landline calls are also free for 30 days, and if you top up again after 30 days, you get another 30 days free. So far happy with it, also cheap calls to european mobiles (about 13 cents per minute).

cheers .. will look into it...I also dont like the way that truphone give you a mobile number for people to call you ...why should my friends and family have to pay 15p per minute..anyway I think I found a way around this....I have found a place to buy a uk (and french) PSTn number for about £24 per year and I can forward this to any SIP number I wish for no extra charge (just waiting for confirmation on the no extra charge bit), so my friends and family and anybody else can now call me at local rate instead of mobile rate ....

I also registered my own sip number which again I can forward to any sip provider, so this means I give out one sip number and my local rate PSTN numbers, and if I change providers.. I just change the forwarding..

There is a way also of forwarding certain dialed calls to go through different VOIP providers to get the cheapest rates from each provider (still looking into that).

So at the moment I give out my personal sip number, that is forwarded to Gizmo (which I use with xlite) which is then forwarded to truphone, this means when I dont have truphone on I just untick the call forwarding on xlite and receive calls on my gizmo account on my PC, then when I want to receive calls on my N80 I just tick the calls forwarding on xlite.

Sound complicated but works well...and is cheaper for everybody.

Last edited by Cash; 13-12-2006 at 07:05 PM.

Old 13-12-2006, 07:18 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash
Of course I also use pirated software, not just on my phone but on my PC just like everybody else on this board, and if you used pheonix to flash your phone then I assume you have used pirated software also...so can you please stop preaching ...
Not a single piece of pirated software on any single phone or PC that I have. It is your business if you do, and good for you that you finally admitted it, instead of trying to pretend otherwise.

However, you could re-read the forum rules you agreed to when you signed up:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ules#faq_rules

Old 13-12-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:
My 'Worms' came already installed on the phone, am i supposed to pay for that as well?
Of course not. In that case either the phone manufacturer or the service provider paid for having it preinstalled. It doesn't mean that it is legal/free to use on other phones.

Old 13-12-2006, 07:20 PM

dergal is on a distinguished road
All I said was I liked worms... !

OK my view on this:
Three give me 5 a month to spend on anything from adult videos (and the wife would kill me) through ot music (which I am not a massive fan of most of whats out there) and video clips ... I like games, and most of the ones I 'paid for' out of the free credit I get every month have been truly rubbish.

I have regularly tried software for a lot longer than is normally allowed, and a lot of it I have purchased at the end of it ...

Games like Flying Toasters might only just be worth it if its free!!! Whereas the free game Bubblebobble (or something similar) is worth a few quid. I don't think most of these games are worth 10 ...

Mmm - Cash, end of subject ?

Old 13-12-2006, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dergal
All I said was I liked worms... !

OK my view on this:
Three give me 5 a month to spend on anything from adult videos (and the wife would kill me) through ot music (which I am not a massive fan of most of whats out there) and video clips ... I like games, and most of the ones I 'paid for' out of the free credit I get every month have been truly rubbish.

I have regularly tried software for a lot longer than is normally allowed, and a lot of it I have purchased at the end of it ...

Games like Flying Toasters might only just be worth it if its free!!! Whereas the free game Bubblebobble (or something similar) is worth a few quid. I don't think most of these games are worth 10 ...

Mmm - Cash, end of subject ?

Of course ..I did try to end the subject a few posts back ...

Old 13-12-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
FYI....the cost of loss of earnings due to pirated software is already built into the retail value of any product...this also includes cd's, dvds, and also goods you buy from the high street stores to cover the cost od stolen goods, as is the cost of insurance, it is inflated to cover costs due to fraudulent claims.....
So, you mean that because somebody else will pay for the software, everybody that doesn't is actually justified to steal it?

Also, because others people buy CDs and DVDs, you're free to just grab copies of that music and those movies from the Internet without paying?

You preach about being adult, but doesn't seem like you are (biologically, perhaps, but some morality growth still apparently needed).

Old 13-12-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A
instead of trying to pretend otherwise.

[/url]

Again it seems you misread or are unable to understand what I have been trying to tell you ... I never denied using pirated products .. I said I get alot of them for free .. that doesnt mean that they are pirated or illegal ..

Old 13-12-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A
So, you mean that because somebody else will pay for the software, everybody that doesn't is actually justified to steal it?

Also, because others people buy CDs and DVDs, you're free to just grab copies of that music and those movies from the Internet without paying?

You preach about being adult, but doesn't seem like you are (biologically, perhaps, but some morality growth still apparently needed).

You know .. I live next to a church .. and because I was working on a sunday on my roof the priest came found and told me that if I didnt stop working then God would cut my hands off.....but its ok for the priest to work on a sunday .....

Think about it

Ok thats my final final final post on the subject ..

Old 13-12-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Again it seems you misread or are unable to understand what I have been trying to tell you ... I never denied using pirated products .. I said I get alot of them for free .. that doesnt mean that they are pirated or illegal ..
And you seem to misread, or are unable to understand, that most apps what you "get" for free is pirated or illegal even if you don't know it (or choose to ignore it).

Because there is only a small handful of non-commercial, free S60 apps, the likelihood is quite high that anything free you "get" or "find" on the various Internet sites you visit is illegal.

As I said, if you just post a list of application names that you have obtained "for free" that way, I will tell you which actually are pirated and illegal. Very simple.

Old 13-12-2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A
And you seem to misread, or are unable to understand, that most apps what you "get" for free is pirated or illegal even if you don't know it (or choose to ignore it).

Because there is only a small handful of non-commercial, free S60 apps, the likelihood is quite high that anything free you "get" or "find" on the various Internet sites you visit is illegal.

As I said, if you just post a list of application names that you have obtained "for free" that way, I will tell you which actually are pirated and illegal. Very simple.
Ok .. one last post ..

Like I said, I dont need to qualify to you anything that I do...as I said I know exactly where all my progs and apps come from I dont need somebody to tell me, and you dont seem to understand that it is possible to obtain apps and progs legally for FREE...you just need to know how to go about this ... I will give you one example...and this is to sign up to be a Beta tester with development companies .. thats just one instance .. there are many more ....which like I said in my first post if you know how to go about it and know where to look then you will get Legal copies for FREE...

Ok .. now do you understand ....

Old 13-12-2006, 08:43 PM

I also know how to find stuff on the Internet and sign up for beta programs, etc.; I've been on the Internet since the mid-80's (when it wasn't even called the Internet), and on the web since the early 90's with the very first Mosaic browser versions, and among the very first users of the very first Internet search engines.

I've also been in the software business for more than 20 years, so I know exactly how software is made, marketed, sold and supported, and how developers make or do not make money.

And not a single software business plan or business case I've read/seen or done myself has ever added any "padding" to the software prices because of software piracy anticipation. Many have, however, had added costs and complexity due to various more or less successful countermeasures.

I also know that few phone application developers run public beta programs and that companies generally do not take on just anybody from the Internet that sends them email or knocks on their door and wants to be a beta tester.

And I honestly don't care the slightest which apps you find and use, but I just want to clear your - and anybody else's - delusion that all of the apps that you have found on the Internet are actually free or legal, even if you got them without paying for them.

And, personally, if a developer does not offer a free trial of their app, then I won't try or buy it, nor will I search for a crack and use it (for "trial" purposes or otherwise).

Do we have the pleasure to expect a final final final final final post from you? Or is there perhaps even a final final final final final final one already brewing in the back of your mind?

Last edited by N/A; 13-12-2006 at 08:52 PM.