All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-02-2007, 10:56 PM

battez is on a distinguished road
Hi, I am on T-Mobile UK and sent a complaint into them (and to Nokia too) that it is not good enough that 8 months or so after v2 came out, they have not released an upgrade for their customers. It totally sucks, and has put me off them. They are silly as I may never buy a T Mobile deal after this contract is up as a result, and will just get an unlocked phone next time. All so they can try and shove T-Zones and other useless crap down my throat. I can't believe their developers cannot quickly come up with a vendor-specific version of the Nokia firmware, it's just rubbish.

Please anyone else suffering like this, email your providers customer service or the telcos will continue to practise like this.

The response I got from cust. services was that the new version is in 'testing' and perhaps my handset is faulty, maybe I should return it! Might be the quickest way for me to get the new version

Luke

check
www . battez . org
for regular E61 and s60 3rd edition tips, rants and links!

Old 15-02-2007, 09:01 PM

kamranwpi is on a distinguished road
Shortcuts in WEB browswer on E61

I have a question for all of those who has updated their Nokia E61 to ver 3.x firmware. I have not updated my Nokia E61 since it was purchased back in April of 2006. Reason being is that Nokia took a great feature out which I use alot, that was ussing the shortcuts in Web Browser, i.e. when you press 1 it takes you to Bookmark, 2 search with in the page, 3 takes you to previous page, 9 to enter URL, etc.

These thing makes it great 1 handed device especially when you are doing something else with you other hand or driving etc. (I know driving, I like to look at things like stocks and news when I am stuck in traffic)

I know Nokia screwed them up with 1st update what they did is that you have to pres and hold the select (bottom left key) and #1 key to select bookmarts, and so on for the other cool short cuts with in web browswer.

So can some one please verify that Nokia brought these great features back?

Thanks alot

Old 16-02-2007, 07:06 PM

ffarber is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamranwpi View Post
I have a question for all of those who has updated their Nokia E61 to ver 3.x firmware. I have not updated my Nokia E61 since it was purchased back in April of 2006. Reason being is that Nokia took a great feature out which I use alot, that was ussing the shortcuts in Web Browser, i.e. when you press 1 it takes you to Bookmark, 2 search with in the page, 3 takes you to previous page, 9 to enter URL, etc.

These thing makes it great 1 handed device especially when you are doing something else with you other hand or driving etc. (I know driving, I like to look at things like stocks and news when I am stuck in traffic)

I know Nokia screwed them up with 1st update what they did is that you have to pres and hold the select (bottom left key) and #1 key to select bookmarts, and so on for the other cool short cuts with in web browswer.

So can some one please verify that Nokia brought these great features back?

Thanks alot
No, you still need to hold the blue function key to get the shortcuts in the web browser.
Fred

Old 19-02-2007, 10:26 PM

dskeeles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffarber View Post
No, you still need to hold the blue function key to get the shortcuts in the web browser.
Fred
I've only owned an E61 for 2 weeks, and this is my first day here, so forgive me if this is a stupid misunderstanding on my part, but...

I noticed that in v1, the shortcuts were strictly numeric. ie. the 6th icon along (originally Messages) was reached by pressing number 6

However, in v3, the shortcuts are by position: so for Messages (position 6, which is second row, second icon), I press Fn-5... which is second row, second button on the blue keys on the keyboard.

ie. Rather than being a 8th-button = 8th icon correspondence, it's now a direct visual mapping of button position to icon position. (second row, fourth icon = second row, fourth button).

If so, perhaps the reason for requiring the Fn button being pressed is to enable the * and # keys to be used. And if so, I have to admit this is a sacrifice worth making - it makes the mapping more instinctive, and enables another two buttons (* and #). This actually mirrors the way that SonyEricsson shortcuts work, and explains why I found the E61 v1 FW's numerical method to be less usable than the SE method - at least, before the v3 update.

[d]
Ads

Old 20-02-2007, 01:19 PM

Alan_Chan is on a distinguished road
hi, i have serious problem upgrading my current nokia since i dont have the right NSU (Nokia Software Updater). I have downloaded the newest version, but has built in securuty issues, therefore i was wondering where can i download the older version of NSU ???

Old 07-03-2007, 01:35 AM

yurais is on a distinguished road
SFR Keyboard and FW update to V3

Guys

I have an E61 from Vodafone France (SFR) I would like to updte o version 3, Ineed to change the product code of the phone to one which keeps my french keyboard

AZERTYUIOP
QSDFGHJKL
WXCVBNM,;

Anyone knows the right code ? I think the code posted in the thread is for UK