All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-09-2008, 11:42 AM

Fattrucker is on a distinguished road
Angry Packet data connection probs

Hi everyone ,

I'm new to this forum but I have tried to read as many of the post's as possible before asking this question as no-one else seems to be having the same issue .
I cannot stop my i8510 constantly aquiring a packet data connection . It still does this even though packet data is selected to "when needed" ! To turn it off I have to go back into packet data (Menu-settings-settings-connection-packet data) select "when available ", come all the way back out to the stand-by screen , then go all the way back in to select "when needed " again . Only then when I come back to the stand-by screen does it drop the connection after a couple of seconds.
The annoying thing is if the mobile signal strength drops to no bars , it re-connects to packet data and I have to perform the whole routine again .
It does however display the broken arrows symbol to indicate that no data is being transmitted but it is connected to packet data .
This is the second i8510 that I have had that does this . This second one seems to always connect to packet data whatever the settings , regardless of whether it is set to "when needed "or "when available" . Whereas the first one would at least stay unconnected for a few hours at a time. But still had the problem all the same.

Both phones were brand new fresh out of the box bought from the CPW on an O2 contract . Running a T-Mobile sim (O2 phones are mostly sim free, I think these days. I stand to be corrected if not.)
I have not got the phone set for E-mail retrieval and I don't have any other application running which might require packet data access (brand new clean phone nothing installed other than what it came with from the factory) .

I have been using a Nokia N95-1 for the past year and I am relatively competant with the use of the phone and S60 . Upgarding to this phone has been a painless process for me so far apart from this minor irritating point. I can cope with the rest of the bugs / foibles this phone has over my N95 till Samsung get their finger out and release the much needed firmware update that we're all waiting for . LOL

Oh yeah sorry nearly forgot it's the 8gb version running software version HH7 custom version I8510L08XEUHH8 custom date 20/08/2008 same aseveryone else on contract from CPW I suppose.

Thanks in advance everyone , hope somone can help or put me out of my misery (hint hint StuClark)

Last edited by Fattrucker; 21-09-2008 at 11:45 AM.

Old 21-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
How interesting... Can't say I've noticed that as a problem on mine, then again mine is constantly downloading emails or weather updatres or something...

One thing I have to say... if you're on T-Mobile I'm presuming you've got WebnWalk... so don't worry about data, it's effectively free

Anyway, to answer your question... setting the data connection to when needed should stop it trying to connect, but it certainly seems you've done this. I think there *must* be something in the background that's connecting for some reason.

One thing to try would be turning OFF the high speed data option (you'll find that in settings > network). Note: This option is only shown when connected to a 3G network

Old 22-09-2008, 04:33 AM

Talking

Thanks for the speedy reply StuClark .
I'll try that one . It does seem to affect it quite a bit when the phone detects a new cell tower , or it finds a 3G signal . So stopping it using 3G may be a temporary fix . Thanks .

I was mainly concerned with trying to improve the battery life as this seems to be worse than my N95 . Although things did improve after cycling the battery with a few good looong charges with the first one .

I'll let you know how I get on anyway . ;-) .

P.S. Forgot to say before but EXCELLENT site ya got going here , keep up the good work . :-)

Old 25-09-2008, 06:08 AM

Eyup back again ,
Just a quick update on the situation StuClark (or anyone else interested) No joy I'm afraid . The problem / niggle still persists . Throw a six to start as to whether the packet data connection is present or not . Guess I'll just have to put up with it till a firmware revision becomes available .

As a side note the battery life is steadily improving , due to long charges and cycling . Although I can't help but wonder if the battery life would be further improved without the packet data connection issue ?

Old 25-09-2008, 06:53 AM

srw985 is on a distinguished road
Wasnt it proven that cycling was useless on Li-ion batteries?

Old 30-09-2008, 01:20 PM

@SRW985
Yeah think it was mate . (been into r/c cars lectric an i.c. for years so I know that story , LOL ) But no matter how tall the tale , I was prepared to try anything . I was getting less than 8 hrs out of the phone . An hour or so yappin , probs less than 45 mins surfin over packet data , maybe 5-7 recieved and replied texts . Wi-Fi off an bluetooth connected to hands free (I'm a trucker remember ;-) ) this performance was worse then my N95 back in firmware 11 days LOL . It does seem to have worked though . I can easily get a day out of it . Even after doubling my usage . Still got the +&*%* packet data problem though . Lets hope HH9 or whatever sammy brings out will cure it ? Although I seem to be the only one suffering the prob ::shrugs:: . As a side note though , are there any apps that could be secretly trying to connect that I don't know about ? Not got any E-mail clients set up or owt , not got any RSS feeds set up , not set up Route 66 yet . Not got anything altered as far as I know out of the box . V.V.V. puzzling ? Hmmmm ?
Thanks Fattrucker

Old 30-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

The only app. I can think of which would possibly auto-connect (at least out the box) is the GPS+ app. But at least on my phone, that apps. auto-connect functionality was disabled by default.

On the battery front - I'm glad it's improved for you, and a day with BT connected sounds pretty good to be honest, all I could manage out of my N95 doing that was about 6 hours.

However, I was (to coin a phrase) "well impressed" with my phone last weekend - it went from 8.00 a.m. Friday morning to 1.00 a.m. Monday morning without a recharge and without being turned off! I continued to use my normal usage pattern of:
  • email checking every 15 minutes (between 8 am and 10 pm) each day
  • roughly 15 sent / received texts each day
  • 15 minutes web browsing each day
  • 5 minutes GPS each day
  • 5 minutes camera use each day
  • 2 hour phone call to Australia (total, 1 off)
  • about 2 hours music (total)
and the phone ONLY dropped below half power at about 8 p.m. on Sunday and only went into low power mode (where nothing but phone calls works) at 11.15 p.m. on Sunday.

My N95 would have coped with just over a day. My SonyEricsson W960i would have coped with 1 1/2 days (but has no GPS)

Old 05-10-2008, 12:23 PM

Thanks STUCLARK
Battery life seems to have settled down quite a bit now . As reported in some other posts the battery meter/ gauge reads totally differently to an N95 from my experience . My N95 (firmware v21) would quite happily last most of the day, maybe loosing 1 or 2 bars . Then towards the evening the last remaining bars would disappear over a matter of a couple of hours . Not very linear at all. The i8510 gauge on the other hand seems to be far more representative of the remaining charge . It doesn't suddenly drop from three quarters charge to zero after a 5 minute call like my N95 used to . It's taking some getting used to but we're getting there slowly.

Off topic STUCLARK sorry but any ideas if anyone could upload HH8 firmware and if so would we be able to upgrade this our selves with the Samsung PCSuite or some other method .? Or do you have any insider info as to when if at all Samsung will be releasing a firmware update ?

Thanks in advance Fattrucker
Ads

Old 06-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

There's currently no known way to get HH8 installed on a phone. We're going to have to wait until Samsung release (or reveal) their update server settings, or distribute an installable firmware file.

If nothing has happened before, I plan on asking Samsung to clarify the situation at the upcoming Smartphone Show in 2 weeks time.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:25 PM

Excellent STUCLARK you truely are a super moderator
Let's see how many people would be interested to hear that kind of info.......????
I for one shall be waiting with baited breath...................................

Old 29-07-2009, 07:46 PM

gxxdman is on a distinguished road
Packet Data Problems N95 Auto connect every 15 mins

Hi,

Nokia N95-1 (44.01) 0548170 15-07-08
RM-159 V30.0.015 IMIE 352 255 014 580 744

Still branded to 'Orange UK' but unlocked by Orange code for use on other networks (I only use pre pay).

I can't be of much help on this one except to say that I have the same problem and have tried everything I can think of such as:

Different sim cards/networks
Removing/Disabling likely software
Re booting/default factory settings
3G to GMS
All application settings that might want access

Results:

No help from UK networks
No solution from Nokia (yet ie after 3 weeks)
No one seems to know if this is a firmware problem
(but I cannot upgrade beyond 30.0.015 with Orange)

Problems (I use prepay at home and overseas):

Very expensive on some pre pay
Niggling daily charges every 15 mins on others

Only solution (so far):

Use as internet phone only via wfi!

Anyone know the answer? It is bad for battery and worse for expenditure! I don't use network email but someone mentioned the 15 min check so I shall see if that might be a problem. It's a great substitute for a laptop and internet phone etc ... but that's not why I got it!

Any help really appreciated ... it's really getting through to me. Thanks everyone.

Old 29-07-2009, 09:32 PM

Auto Connect ... still trying!

Interestingly, I read about the Orange camera programme possibly being an issue and it certainly can be so I have disabled that. However, for the last couple of hours (including, I think, time before I adjusted the camera settings) there have been no more 15 min auto attempts at connecting - we shall see.

Incidently, my local Nokia Care Centre think they have solved this problem in the past and are going to let me know if they can remember the fix.

Watch this space ...

... they also mentioned that there might be a way of re flashing with an Apple mac (useful, since I do not have regular access to a pc).

Old 30-07-2009, 09:19 PM

Auto Connect ... problem solved!

It's taken me nearly a month but I think I have it cracked! 'Orange UK' firmware ensures that the handset comes with an Orange Camera Application. It would appear that this application causes the mobile to make a quick packet data connection about every 15 mins for some reason. Possibly, to see if anything requires uploading from the Orange personal pic album!

The application is easily disabled via the appropriate menu (to merely exit the application is not enough). The camera works fine without this application, it just means that the facility to upload/down pics via Orange is disabled. This is not such a bad thing really, since it is very irritating to have to decide after taking each photo what you want to do with it!

Who would have guessed it was the camera - not gps, email etc, though it is more than probable that these other applications also require connections periodically in order to function fully. Hope that is of use to someone - maybe other camera software also causes these connections?

Good Luck!

PS Sorry to Nokia, o2 and Telefonica etc - not your fault. However, thanks for your efforts to solve this problem. It would have been helpful if Orange had come clean about this one and saved me troubling others in order to get to the bottom of this annoying little problem.