All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia C6 in pictures

With the Nokia C6 starting to hit the shops around the world, we kick off our C6 coverage with the usual comprehensive picture gallery. It is a hybrid device, with both a touchscreen and a QWERTY keyboard, in a horizontal slider form factor. It is the third device in Nokia's new Cseries range, following on from the C5 and C3. With a price point of around £250 is sits firmly in the mid tier, effectively offering a cheaper version of the Nokia N97 mini. David will be sharing his first impressions on the C6 next week and an in depth review will follow in due course.

Read on in the full article.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Unregistered

Boring!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:39 PM

marxian is on a distinguished road
The keyboard looks excellent. This is a little off-topic, but I often miss Symbian, having switched to Maemo a few months ago. As for Android: Don't believe the hype, I say. I have the HTC Desire and I find it a bit underwhelming.

I guess it's still a little difficult to recommend this device with Symbian3/4 on the way, but I can see a market for it.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 PM

oniox is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Same old same old

@Marxian, I dont believe you. Even low end android is better user experience that Symbian 1. I know I got an LG540 for 99 and its sublime and better usability than my 5800. Nokias hardware is leaps and bounds above its peers though. Solid hardware plus Symbian 3 will keep nokia on top. I am typing this on an N900, brill hardware but clunky and cranky UI. Typical

Last edited by oniox; 06-08-2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo

Old 07-08-2010, 01:36 AM

marxian is on a distinguished road
Well, I am a programmer, so probably not a typical smartphone user. I use my device as a pocket computer, so I prefer a real computing OS. Android to me feels like 'My First Phone'. I do like the hardware of the Desire, aside from the poor loudspeaker and lack of hardware qwerty.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:14 AM
Unregistered

@marxian

I have been a Nokia user since the 2110 and have used ALL the communicators until the N97 which I have dumped for an Android phone and will not look back.

Android is powerful and extremely customisable for us techies and not a "my first phone" as you so claim. That award falls on the iphone.

I will only reconsider another Nokia phone if and when they get Symbian up to par with Android.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:34 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Well, I am a programmer, so probably not a typical smartphone user. I use my device as a pocket computer, so I prefer a real computing OS. Android to me feels like 'My First Phone'. I do like the hardware of the Desire, aside from the poor loudspeaker and lack of hardware qwerty.
Well.... I'm a developer myself, and have owned piles of Nokia Symbian as well as some Android devices. I prefer Android for nearly everything -- except for satnav -- because they're more developer-friendly; SDK is multi-platform, better and cleaner API, etc.

And Symbian's certificate requirements seriously undermine non-commercial devs (like hobbyists).

Old 07-08-2010, 05:52 AM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
This is a very nice device to hold, seen it in carphone warehouse the other day. Maybe a little overpriced, but Nokia have advanced the Symbian^1 a fair bit and if you add SPB Mobile Shell on top it is a very powerful system but with the odd oddity.

I am sick of coming to a site about Symbian and seeing all the Android and Iphone fans bashing it, if you's don't like it, why bother discussing it?

Yes it would have been better with Symbian^3, and combine this with Mobile Shell and there's one hell of an OS, no matter what way you look at it.

Everyone knows what the problems with Symbian^1 are and they are being addressed. Get over it and move on!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Unregistered

Imagine a 5800xm with the Widgets, Camera etc from the N97 mini and a qwerty keyboard. The C6 is effectively a N97 mini in a cheaper housing. I would expect a price point of 199 or below for this - an I'm sure this is where it will settle after release.

As for the Android discussions above, I have a desire and I too am left wondering what all the fuss is about. Android is just ordinary, and even with the SenseUI enhancements there is no huge advance over even Symbian touch. I expect that ^3 and ^4 versions of Symbian should be able to leapfrog Android quite easily, because it wouldn't take much. If that doesn't happen then somebody at Symbian is still asleep.

Although it has to be said, I may have been so disappointed with Android because the high expectations set by BSers on forums like this, and because I also own an iPhone, the iPhone has absolutely nothing to fear from Android in the UI department.

What EXACTLY is good about Android? Somebody please explain? I appreciate why phone makers might like it, it suits them very well. No great shakes for consumers.

Anyway, back to the topic C6, I can't see a reason to buy an N97 anything if they remain priced above the C6.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
And Symbian's certificate requirements seriously undermine non-commercial devs (like hobbyists).
No it doesn't. Because as a "hobbyist" myself I know that these requirements are very easily bypassed on hardware, and there are no certificate requirements for tinkering on the emuator. You should also know that if you are a developer.
Ads

Old 07-08-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
What EXACTLY is good about Android? Somebody please explain? I appreciate why phone makers might like it, it suits them very well. No great shakes for consumers.
I asked the exact same question some months ago after playing with a mates htc legend for about a week and watching countless youtube videos. I am sorry but the shear level of functionality in Symbian is going to be hard to beat and it is forever improving. Cant say for certain but isn't Symbian pushing for major new releases every 6-12 months?

And as for Meego, it just looks so damn cool on both tablets and phones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INVlmjJKXjk), Nokia are in a very good position moving forward and roll on the 1st Meego handset and tablet.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:16 AM

Mr Mark is on a distinguished road
Hmm... I take it none of the 'developers' here have used Qt then? Not sure how that's more difficult to use than a VM layer.

Anyway, moving on...

The C6 feels like a backward step for Nokia. It's effectively a rebadged N97 mini or a 5800 with a keyboard and a such is an anachronism.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:

The C6 feels like a backward step for Nokia. It's effectively a rebadged N97 mini or a 5800 with a keyboard and a such is an anachronism.
isn't that what the C Series is all about? Nokia moving their previous high end homescreen etc to the mid range in anticipation of moving highend devices to Meego.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:29 AM

when I get a new email/sms etc on the Vivaz a blue light flashes too so it's not limited to Android.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:44 AM

tebutler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsepz_011 View Post
The C6 actualy looks realy good,especialy in Black,looks very sleek and professional,a shame it runs Symbian^1 as i felt it realy limited my 5800, it just felt so incomplete.
As for Android, its not everyones cup of tea. What makes it better? Well the openess and the quality of apps and games which destroy symbian. Even little things like 3rd party apps being able to access hardware, e.g. the MailDroid app,ive set it to make the LED flash Blue when i get new Emails, little things like that just make it much better to use, IMO.
Openness and quality of apps and games, eh?

Well, Symbian is now fully open source and the Qt SDK makes it very easy to develop software for the platform.

But those are recent developments. There is a long line of quality software for Symbian platforms. I'm thinking of software like Ovi Maps, Handy Safe Pro, Gravity, Joiku Spot*, Quick Office, etc. etc.

You'll notice that I haven't listed any 'apps' that are merely bookmarks to websites. Go to any 'app' store; Apple, Ovi, Android Market and you'll find that the percentage of quality software is actually quite low.

* if JS isn't a 3rd party application that controls hardware, I don't know what is.

Perhaps what you really mean is that Android looks more polished as an interface? It certainly does, especially with HTC Sense on top.

Symbians ^1 and S60 3rd do look dated. But as far as I'm concerned, so what? It does exactly what I need it to and tons more. Symbian^3 will bring the slick front end, Symbian^4 even moreso. As for Meego - that looks pretty good already.

Back on topic: I like the look of the C6. Especially the inclusion of a D-pad and the keyboard layout. The camera looks a little disappointing, but still a sweet phone for 250.