All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > UIQ

Old 04-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Symbian Foundation completes move to open source

Today the Symbian Foundation announced that it has completed the move to open source. The platform, which runs on more than 330 million devices and has been developed over the last 10 years is now freely available to all under the EPL (Eclipse Public License). The process, which was delivered four months ahead of schedule, is the largest transition from proprietary code to open source in software history.
The completion of the open source transition marks a critical milestone for Symbian as it seeks to build the enablers for the future of mobile, based on openness and innovation. Read on to view our video interview with Lee Williams and for further information.

Read on in the full article.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:16 PM

irfanil is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Now bring some awesome hardware!

can't wait to see it in really good hardware package.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:23 PM

Enfors is on a distinguished road
Interesting, but probably not as "open" as you might think.

This is very interesting - but perhaps not as interesting as one might think.

If Symbian really would go "completely" open source, then that would mean that I'd be able to create a new firmware for my own phone, like my old Nokia N93 for example. I could fix some of its age-old bugs, and install it in my own phone. And then Nokia could consider releasing my firmware version as an official Nokia N93 firmware update. That's what open source is all about - not just letting other people have copies of your code that they can modify, but to also include some of those modifications into future versions of the officially released software.

But I'm fairly certain it's not going to be that open, unfortunately. But I'd happily be proven wrong.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:44 PM

Dynite is on a distinguished road
You can submit changes to Symbian which if taken would get picked up by manufacturers and would go in to future devices.

However, Manufactures allowing you to modify the products they create is nothing to do with open source.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:46 PM

irfanil is on a distinguished road
this was also my first thought... how will it benefit my N82 or my friends who have Nokia 5800 and Samsung i8910?

and will symbian^3 devices be upgradeable to symbian^4?

i hope MWC will bring all the good news

Old 04-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Unregistered

As a professional mobile industry analyst, I have to say given this announcement, I now see very little or no reason for anyone to show any interest in Android whatsoever.

Symbian, with it's technically superior product, history, installed base, global sales figures, open source, variety of development languages and options, and far more succcessful app store (Android store has multiple problems, less options for product types, and has yet to make developers any significant money) completely kills Android on every front.

Google are a young and inexperienced upstart in mobile who are now getting a good beating from the true leaders, Nokia. Fanboy talk? Sounds like it doesn't it? But it's also reality. Ovi Maps Navigation going free has completely beaten Google Maps Navigation on every front (technical, coverage, you name it). I'm waiting for the next area in which Nokia cuts off and closes down Google's (and a whole host of other player's) efforts in mobile.

May the best mobile OS and handset manufacturer win, and luckily for once, they are.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Unregistered

I've read the article and there is no mention of xenon flash. Can anyone tell me if this move to open source has a xenon flash?

Old 04-02-2010, 03:00 PM

brrip is on a distinguished road
going open source does not have anything to do with xenon flash. that's for the companies making the products to decide.
Ads

Old 04-02-2010, 03:02 PM
BoyBawang

Symbian^3 Looks

So it's Symbian^3 ? Anybody compiled the source? How does it look like? Same as Symbian^1 ?

Old 04-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Unregistered

Can anybody provide the direct link to Symbian^3 emulator? I wanna see how it looks like.
thanks

Old 04-02-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynite View Post
You can submit changes to Symbian which if taken would get picked up by manufacturers and would go in to future devices.

However, Manufactures allowing you to modify the products they create is nothing to do with open source.
If the product in question, as in this case, is in fact (at least supposedly) open source, then allowing people to modify it has everything to do with open source. Remember, we are talking about software, not hardware.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:13 PM

Dynite is on a distinguished road
I don't think open source has anything to do with upgradability, despite how desirable it might be.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Unregistered

sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrip View Post
going open source does not have anything to do with xenon flash. that's for the companies making the products to decide.
Either you didn't get the sarcasm, or your sense of sarcasm is truly sinister

Old 04-02-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As a professional mobile industry analyst, I have to say given this announcement, I now see very little or no reason for anyone to show any interest in Android whatsoever.
Then I shall provide you with a reason: The HIP factor.

Andriod is seen as hip. Symbian is not. Take a look at what the hip factor did for the iPhone despite its initial lack of basic smartphone features such as MMS support.

Then there is also the stated opinion by many 3rd party Symbian developers (many of which are now former 3rd party Symbian developers), that Symbian is a beast to program for. From what I gather, Android does not have this problem.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynite View Post
I don't think open source has anything to do with upgradability, despite how desirable it might be.
You're flat out wrong, I'm afraid. Open source means that everybody has access to the code, and are able to modify it. Let's take the case of Linux as an example of an open source product. If Linux for some reason suddenly stopped supporting my old computer, I could grab a copy of the its source and implement support for it myself. That doesn't necessarily mean that my modifications would make it back into the mainstream version of Linux - that decision would be up to the Linux maintainers.