All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-12-2009, 05:54 PM

wills54321 is on a distinguished road
keyguard unlock slider switch fell off!

My N97 is really beginning to test my patience.

the blasted keyguard unlock slider switch thing dropped off earlier today meaning I have no way to lock my phone once it's unlocked. At the moment I have set it to lock when the screen closes.

It a royal PITA as I can't easily use the phone anymore. Had a look at trying to put it back on but it doesn't look like it clips on and is actually all one plastic piece and the button bit has broken off from the stalk which goes inside.

Phone came from VF but I don't want to send it back there as I want to TRY and avoid the hassle of backing up and restoring. Any idea's what to do or is this (assuming it is) a visit to a Nokia Service Centre?

Had my 9500 for almost 4 years with only ONE problem, the hinges broke, and that was only after at least 3 and a half years use.

So annoyed right now!

-Will

Old 06-12-2009, 06:03 PM

hmmm, looks like a visit to the service centre, just checked the service manual - the slider looks like it's part of the back cover - can anyone confirm this??

wonder if I can blag the GPS antenna replacement and lens replacement at the same time, hmmm

-Will
Ads

Old 06-12-2009, 06:07 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wills54321 View Post
My N97 is really beginning to test my patience.

the blasted keyguard unlock slider switch thing dropped off earlier today meaning I have no way to lock my phone once it's unlocked. At the moment I have set it to lock when the screen closes.

It a royal PITA as I can't easily use the phone anymore. Had a look at trying to put it back on but it doesn't look like it clips on and is actually all one plastic piece and the button bit has broken off from the stalk which goes inside.

Phone came from VF but I don't want to send it back there as I want to TRY and avoid the hassle of backing up and restoring. Any idea's what to do or is this (assuming it is) a visit to a Nokia Service Centre?

Had my 9500 for almost 4 years with only ONE problem, the hinges broke, and that was only after at least 3 and a half years use.

So annoyed right now!

-Will
This doesn't seem to be a common problem. Did you drop or bash your phone off something?

As it's under warranty you best get it fixed properly. You don't need to send it to Vodafone, try your local NCC who should be able to fix it same day.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
This doesn't seem to be a common problem. Did you drop or bash your phone off something?

As it's under warranty you best get it fixed properly. You don't need to send it to Vodafone, try your local NCC who should be able to fix it same day.
Nope, no dropping, bashing or any abuse really. It's pocketed all the time - someone e-mailed me, alert went off, picked it out my pocket, did the unlock slide and noticed nothing happened, tried again and still nothing, thought it had locked up, lifted finger away and the slide button came right off on my finger and then dropped to the floor where I spent the next 10 mins looking for darn thing. Plastic looks to be broken where the button itself attaches to the stalk. The stalk thats left is really thin, see my photo (bit blurry but you should be able to get the idea). The remaining stalk is on the left (top) and is around 1mm across. Don't see why this arrangement was used, seems simpler to have used a clip in style button with a larger opening on the case that activated a microswitch on the motherboard rather than having this setup.

Will try the service centre tomorrow, no doubt I shall get grief as it's a de-branded handset. Will have to see and report back.

-Will

Last edited by wills54321; 06-12-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:39 PM

Gizn is on a distinguished road
Be interesting to hear the result. I have a VF N97 also debranded. I need a new GPS antenna etc and am looking to take it for a fix at some point. Thought I might try the not fit for purpose with out the new FW thus as VF were too damn lazy to get the FW out I debranded so the phone was useable.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:13 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wills54321 View Post
Will try the service centre tomorrow, no doubt I shall get grief as it's a de-branded handset. Will have to see and report back.
-Will
The general opinion / experience of ASS members is that local NCCs and independent Repair Centres tend not to pay too much attention to the FW that's installed
(although they may re-flash the handset after the repair), so de-branding may not be an issue for you.

If you are unkucky and the engineer discovers you have de-branded, then I guess a full rear panel replacement and GPS shield will cost you financially
- but hopefully well under 100 and certainly worth having done.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:19 PM

volvo940se is on a distinguished road
My sons N97 did the same thing, and was repaired by the local NCC no problem at all, replaced the whole back part of the phone including GPS camera and keylock. All done under warrenty.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:35 AM

gds is on a distinguished road
I had exactly this happen to my N97 a couple of weeks ago. Looked just like the photo you posted. it was a warranty repair and they replaced the entire backplate of the phone (including the camera cover & lens, and I suspect the GPS antenna as well since it now seems to lock much more reliably than it did). Hopefully the replacement lock switch is a bit stronger!

Old 10-12-2009, 03:57 AM

appeame09 is on a distinguished road
keyguard unlock slider switch fell off

i have huawei c5300 i want to unlock this for tata new sim any body please ? its urgent pleeeeese

Old 12-12-2009, 09:07 PM

Just got my GPS sorted, we'll its much better and my keyguard slider has broken. Just took it out of my pocket and it had fallen off. Stopped by the loacl vodafone store who said they don't sell them anymore. He grinned when I asked if that was because they are a load of cobblers.

Old 13-12-2009, 01:39 AM

Well an update to this - went to my local Nokia service centre who said yes they can sort it but don't have the bits and are not sure when they will have them. Put my name down and they will get back to me within a week supposedly.

Rang up the service centre I used in the past with my communicators and yes they can sort it with no problems too but again don't have the bits and will ring me when they do.

Really annoying!

-Will

Old 13-12-2009, 12:29 PM

Lasikie is on a distinguished road
I had to wait a few month's for the part, all done now though and working perfect.

Old 14-12-2009, 01:08 AM

I've gota talk to a service centre tomorrow but I've loaded myKeyLock and that at least helps get around the problem. Its not signed but OPDA now has an English page

Got the app signed and its pretty good. Also tried nUnlock, neat idea but seems to unlock and relock randomly (as far as I could tell). Also tried SlideUnlock ($5), 10 uses for free. It worked but myKeyLock has more features.

One of these might be worth having on your N97 just in case.

Last edited by Gizn; 14-12-2009 at 09:02 AM.

Old 17-12-2009, 12:01 PM

weerabt is on a distinguished road
switchgaurd fell off

I had the exact same problem. When I sent it back to get repaired I was told the phone was dropped and I'd have to pay 58 to get it fixed, (I don't think so!).

I have only had the phone for about 4 months, my previous phone (6680) i had for about 5 years, still in great condition and never dropped once.

This is don to one thing and one thing only, badly designed and tested and nokia haven't admitted here is a problem yet, (warranty minefield for them).

If you consider at the flush positioning of the switch it becomes apparent that by dropping the phone (even on the switch side) would not cause it to fall/break off.

Because the switch is so weak its only a matter of time before 100's more fall off.

I had a look at the new N97 lite yesterday and noticed that the switch design has been replaced by a more larger, robust type,,,,,, what a coincidence!

Old 18-12-2009, 01:36 AM

finally got the phone sorted out today. dropped it off at the service centre at around 1130 and went back to get it at 1300. They replaced the entire chassis apparently.

Not sure whether this includes the GPS antenna or not but from my experience so far I am thinking so. When I tried out Google maps the software tracked much more accurately than ever before, even while driving - it kept position perfectly. Nokia's own mapping application also locks and shows my position within seconds now so this is a definite improvement, still have to see how it is while driving though.

I also definitely got a new camera lens as I had scratches on my old one and this new one is completely scratch free.

All in all, good service, not a mention of the fact that the phone was de-branded either, something I was fearing but ready to argue.

Im summary, new camera lens - good, possible GPS antenna replacement - good, lock switch on side - still a flimsy piece of crap and makes me nervous everytime I go to use it now!

How I wish I had gone with the E90!

-Will