All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-03-2010, 12:28 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
I have a question about how Maps v3.04 is meant to behave. I recently got a windscreen mount for my N97 so, to try it out, I used it on the way home from work. When my phone said I'd reached my destination, Maps closed.

I can understand it might close itself when the journey is over in order to save battery power, but considering all the bugs we seem to be finding on our phones these days, coupled with the fact this is beta software, I just can't tell.

Is this normal behaviour?

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 12-03-2010, 12:17 AM

K300 is on a distinguished road
hello again chaps,
well I got back from Hungary, sadly I ran out of time before I left on that day to complete the task.
So:
Quote:
You need to install Ovi Maps v3.03
Done that already, what I don't have are the actual maps, and I am still going round in circles on this one.
I don't have an internet connection on my phone so I am trying to download the maps to my PC and then to my phone, are there any problems generally with doing that?

I am hitting the same brick walls:
Quote:
Then tried to Download maps, which then opens up the website, so I go to the Ovi maps page and tell it that I have an N97.
I click on OK which then opens up 'Download Map Loader'.
I select English and click on Download.
The file download screen comes up for NokiaMapLoaderSetup_ENU.exe
I click on Run.
The security warning comes up asking if I want to Run the software, I click on Run.
It tells me that it requires that another piece of software(Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0) is installed first so I click Install.
Then it tells me an error occurred while downloading the file and would I like to Retry.
I click on Retry.
It does this a couple of times and then fails to do anything.

I have also tried following the other instructions on the nokia/support website which say:
Go to Menu Applications SW update on your Nokia N97

Select Ovi Maps from the list of available updates

Select Options Start update
This gives me a screen which says Refreshing list of available updates.
Then Refreshing failed try again later.
Can anybody offer any help or are there any questions you need to ask me?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:43 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by K300 View Post
I don't have an internet connection on my phone
Before I start with your problem, can I just confirm that you have no data connection present on your phone as stated above.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
I have a question about how Maps v3.04 is meant to behave. I recently got a windscreen mount for my N97 so, to try it out, I used it on the way home from work. When my phone said I'd reached my destination, Maps closed.

I can understand it might close itself when the journey is over in order to save battery power, but considering all the bugs we seem to be finding on our phones these days, coupled with the fact this is beta software, I just can't tell.

Is this normal behaviour?
OK, had no response to my query so I tried it again with another short journey. This time, it stayed open when I reached my destination.

I guess it must've just crashed the last time.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 12-03-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
OK, had no response to my query so I tried it again with another short journey. This time, it stayed open when I reached my destination.

I guess it must've just crashed the last time.
My apologies zxon. I thought I had replied to your post.
Will take more water with it in future.

Old 17-03-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
My apologies zxon. I thought I had replied to your post.
Will take more water with it in future.
No worries ironman... errm, I mean ironass

I just discovered something about Ovi Maps on my 120 mile drive home from visiting the folks, and no it wasn't that it closed itself again when I reached my destination. It turns out Ovi Maps has Lane Guidance! I had absolutely no idea it had that!

For those who don't know, Lane Guidance does just that... offers a guide as to which lane you should be in. This is often used on Motorways, where the road might split in two, with one heading one way and the other heading another. Ovi Maps tells you which lane(s) you should be following in order to continue on it's desired route, by showing the lanes as boxes with arrows in them along the bottom of the screen. Grey boxes are lanes you want to stay out of, and blue ones are ones you should stick to.

Obviously, I couldn't take a screenshot while I was driving, but below is an example from another site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive_navigation_UK-London.png
Views:	186
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	4773  

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Ads

Old 18-03-2010, 05:25 AM

ROBSKI is on a distinguished road
Ok so I have just installed Maps v3.04. After deleting cities etc.. etc.. as in updated post above. I then downloaded maps for Australia and Thailand and the English male voice. Now when I run the new maps it starts and I can see 6 icons (position, search, share location, favorites, drive and Walk). Then after 2 seconds it turns itself off...! It did come up with (more devices).

Anyone had this problem or know what to do to rectify this???

Cheers in advance
Robski

Old 18-03-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
No worries ironman... errm, I mean ironass
Don't you start as well zxon!
(I'm beginning to wish I'd left it as my old email address )

Well, they say you learn something new every day (like, don't eat the yellow snow) and I certainly have, thanks to your Lane Guidance posting.

Cheers!

Old 18-03-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSKI View Post
Ok so I have just installed Maps v3.04. After deleting cities etc.. etc.. as in updated post above. I then downloaded maps for Australia and Thailand and the English male voice. Now when I run the new maps it starts and I can see 6 icons (position, search, share location, favorites, drive and Walk). Then after 2 seconds it turns itself off...! It did come up with (more devices).

Anyone had this problem or know what to do to rectify this???

Cheers in advance
Robski
Hi Robski!

You say you only have 6 icons showing... it should be 10 (see attached screenshot).

To just open Ovi Maps you need about 19MB of RAM free (not to be confused with C: drive).

Your phone firmware has to be at least v20 (for classic N97).

Ovi Maps 3.04 installs over Ovi Maps 3.03 available here:-

http://maps.nokia.com/ovi-services-and-apps/ovi-maps

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scr000038.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	4775  

Old 18-03-2010, 07:25 AM

Hmm thanks Ian, it seems I can't make calls or recieve them now. It just says not allowed. I can get sms though strange. shows network coverage and provider on the screen. how do I do a hard reset again...?

Robski

Old 18-03-2010, 07:43 AM

Oh dear ROBSKI!

Here is a link for the hard reset (known as the Vulcan Death Grip) published by Biggzy on this forum:-

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=86049

Good luck!

P.S. I would advise NOT restoring Settings after the reset and enter them manually.

Old 18-03-2010, 08:02 AM

Cheers for that, the old *#7370# did the trick. I can now make calls again...Few!
Maps has gone back to 3.01 so I will try and load the new version again.. Fingers crossed

Thanks again

Robski

Old 18-03-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSKI View Post
Cheers for that, the old *#7370# did the trick. I can now make calls again...Few!
Maps has gone back to 3.01 so I will try and load the new version again.. Fingers crossed

Thanks again

Robski
I would still NOT restore Settings automatically (it was possibly a Setting that caused your problems in the first place).

I would also install Ovi Maps v3.03 first, using the link I gave you or Software Update in Applications, and then download and install Ovi Maps beta v3.04.

Good luck!

Old 18-03-2010, 08:52 AM

All working now thanks mate... :-)
Just downloaded v3.04 and ran it over the top, all 10 icons there and from all accounts seems to work well. I only restored my contacts and restored other apps from scratch.

How do I check to see what maps I have? Earlier today I downloaded Aust and Thailand but will download them again if necessary.

Cheers Robski

Old 18-03-2010, 08:57 AM

I connect to the latest Ovi Suite and it tells me what Maps, etc. are installed on the handset.

If you saved them to E: or F: drives they should still be there.