All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 31-08-2009, 11:56 PM

PaddyMcJustin is on a distinguished road
Question Can anyone recommend DiVX / AVI player for Nokia N97 (but not Smartmovie)

Tried the SmartMovie demo and the frame rate and performance was dreadful. Anyone recommend an alternative DiVX player for Nokia N97 since www.divx.com do not support the device yet.

Thanks.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 AM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
I used to use SmartMovie on my Nokia 9300. For that platform it was the best in terms of compression/smoothness/etc. due to it using the XviD codec.

When I got my N97 I tried out Smartmovie and was not impressed.

I read many, many thread by people who were going out-of-their way (using software intended for the PSP even!) to try and experiment with video quality on the N97.

Quite by accident (since Nokia has VERY POOR documentation), I discovered that Ovi Suite actually will convert movies to the optimal resolution (you have a little control if you want them to be smaller) for the N97.

All you have to do is load the video in to be converted. So long as Windows Media Player can play the video (i.e. you have the appropriate codecs loaded), Ovi Suite will use WMP engine to convert for best playback on the N97.

Playback on the N97 is using RealPlayer. No extra software required!

I converted some recent Dr. Who episodes (were in PAL format, DivX) as well as the entire series of Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-Long Blog (XviD) and the playback on the N97 is astounding!!

Believe it or Not!

Last edited by rdcinhou; 01-09-2009 at 01:13 AM.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:48 AM

celios is on a distinguished road
Yep, give Ovi suite a try. The quality is excellent. The only problem I had with one AVI file was the lipsync was out after Ovi converted it. I ended up using a free tool called Avidemux to move the audio back into sync with the video.
Ads

Old 01-09-2009, 10:54 AM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
I forgot to mention the file size...20 minutes of full-motion, smooth video with stereo audio at CD quality was about 88 MB.

That is one thing that SmartMovie excelled at was making a very small file size for carrying around on phones. If they can get their act together and do a proper update of their software for the N97, I might be convinced to buy it for this platform.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:41 AM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Wait for CorePlayer V2 to come out later this month (apparently). CorePlayer is the best thing you can get.

For the two formats that you cannot play with CorePlayer (WMV and RMVB), there is a WIP player from our chinese mates that plays both - a bit slow however and hopefully will improve with time.