All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-07-2009, 02:14 PM

kevinx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyyb View Post
Well the GPS is my only bugbear at the minute. Is there someone we can speak to at Nokia? I find it had to believe they dont have this listed as a known issue somewhere..
Zyyb,

Hi. I have spoken with them already, over the past couple of days, and one of their comments (get this!) was "It won't be 100% accurate, we can't do anything about that, as the satellites are owned by the American government".! Dohhhh 8-).

Anyhow, I pushed it a little further suggesting that a 600ft (200yard) inaccuracy was a bit of a joke. They further suggested that the unit be returned, but when I mentioned there had been further comments on here, I was told that they would escalate to Nokia developers (don't hold ya breath!).

Anyways. Contact number(s) if you don't have them already:-
01480 434343, option 1 and ask to be put through to the care line (be prepared for a long (10 mins) wait). The geographic number is generally cheaper than the 0845, unless you have a bundle.
OR (in your package) you should find the "Nokia N97 dedicated support line" number. Quicker to answer, but they tend to answer "soft" questions.

Good luck

NB The more people that complain about the issues, the more notice they should take??

Old 22-07-2009, 03:40 PM

barretta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinx View Post
I'd updated to Maps 3 last week, but today redownloaded the map data, to ensure it wasn't the mapping that was corrupted..

Anyone else have the problem with the speed reading going from ACTUAL speed to zero??
I'm having precisely the same problem with the speed reading going to zero. Incidently, I did have the same problem with my N95 8GB, when I moved to Maps 2.0. That turned out to be corrupt mapping data, re-downloading and installing the maps fixed that, I presume no-one has had any luck using the same approach on the N97?

Old 22-07-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretta View Post
I'm having precisely the same problem with the speed reading going to zero. Incidently, I did have the same problem with my N95 8GB, when I moved to Maps 2.0. That turned out to be corrupt mapping data, re-downloading and installing the maps fixed that, I presume no-one has had any luck using the same approach on the N97?
Barretta,

Reference my earlier post, I DID in fact HARD reset my phone. Deleted the "cities" folder. Connected phone to pc, re-downloaded Ovi maps (application) v3, but the SAME problem. Speed jumps between actual speed and zero, and the position (actual) compared to that shown on the device is about 600ft out.

I DID get a response from Nokia, who had passed to their "developers" for which they blame "the available technology" in the handset....

Bit of a lame excuse if you ask me. It's marketed as having sat nav, which of course it DOES have, but the accuracy is a fundemental part of the application, or at least SHOULD be..

Maybe they'll get their act together, eventually????

Old 24-07-2009, 08:25 PM

doggybs is on a distinguished road
I've just deleted my cities folder, But now when i run the silly nokia maps updater its keeps saying it can't read my IMEI number?? Really annoying. Any ideas?

Old 25-07-2009, 02:16 PM

Seft is on a distinguished road
This is worth a read: http://www.nokiausers.net/General/Fa...Nokia-N97.html

Especially the video at the bottom

Old 04-08-2009, 07:44 PM

Sam_man is on a distinguished road
hi guys, got an exchange of 3 UK today and installed garmin and its working really good, infact very very accurate. nokia maps works really good too.

on my first hadnset the accuracy was at best 125m but on this new one is about 20-25m using GPS info tool.

on my last handset garmin was working fine too untill i updated nokia maps 3.1 so i think it must be a software/driver issue.

i think it might be one of the following

*nokia maps 3.1
or
*formatting mass memory
or
*there was a programs called API bridge and unistalled it

reinstalling firmware or hard reset didnt help, so on my new one i wont be doing any on those things. at the moment im really happy with my N97

Old 04-08-2009, 08:12 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
I am convinced this isnt a software issue. I accidentally knocked my Bluetooth GPS receiver off the dash and knocked out the battery.

Nokia Maps went from Full GPS signal to "GPS Signal has been lost" and rotating backwards and forwards between that and "GPS Signal has been restored" with half strength.

The hardware is a load of crud.
Ads

Old 05-08-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdean View Post
I am convinced this isnt a software issue. I accidentally knocked my Bluetooth GPS receiver off the dash and knocked out the battery.

Nokia Maps went from Full GPS signal to "GPS Signal has been lost" and rotating backwards and forwards between that and "GPS Signal has been restored" with half strength.

The hardware is a load of crud.
Interestingly, the topic has become quite lengthy HERE (Below)

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...mp=true#M12675

Enjoy

:-)

Old 05-08-2009, 01:08 AM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
I do think that there is some sort of computational bug in the software and/or in the map data itself.

For example....my GPS correctly reports my position with regard to the roadways, *BUT* when I enter an address to select a favorite, the indicated position is often a couple of houses from where it really is.

Maybe, just maybe I need to delete and then recreate my favorites with the new Map data? (my favorites are left over from the previous two versions).

That's an awful lot of addresses to have to re-enter!

Something else that I've noticed is that the spoken distance before the turn is often longer than what the actual distance is (based on odometer measurements). It seems to be about 15-20% more. Units conversion error between metric and imperial units?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:56 PM

theblob is on a distinguished road
I used my ovi maps 3.1 today the phone locked up after it lost gps signal, i had to pull the battery as phone would not switch off it then took me 5 attempts of trying to restart the phone and it locking up, in the end i had to leave the battery out for 5 mins and it then booted.
Upon rebooting it had deleted all the map data i was lucky i have garmin installed and could use that.
What a great phone this is turning out to be lol roll on the next firmware update i just hope they fix the gps.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:49 AM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

after reading all the this negative stuff about the sat nav and GPS i thought i would give it a go.....

I updated nokia maps via OTA (not done it yet as i don't really bother with SAT NAVS), used nokia map uploader yesterday to delete all current maps and downloaded england maps.

put in my work postcode this morning, its a 40 mile drive....and

it worked perfectly. i mean perfectly. obviously the route it told me to use was rubbish (as with all of these machines) but sat lock was fine, and it recalculated very quickly once i went my way, regardless of the route it chose. my position on the map was a little out, but its never going to be perfect, was within 5 metres i would say

at the same time i was listening to my music all the way, through my speakers in the car via the FM trans, was getting Navs instructions through the car stereo which was nice.

overall very impressed

PS the only thing i did notice was that house positions on roads is a little out, if i'm outside number "16" it thinks its actually number "11", so there is a bug within nokia maps

Old 06-08-2009, 10:47 PM

KamHo is on a distinguished road
Navmii seems to work perfectly on mine , but I have only tested it over 2 x 10 mile journeys.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:37 AM

dse7en is on a distinguished road
Re-gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerco View Post
Hi all,

Today I received my Brodit car holder for the N97. The first thing I noticed is the GPS reception. The phone is placed on the same position as where my N95 8Gb used to be, but the reception is worse. This leads to a position on the map way off my actual location. With my N95 I had a current lock on at least 8 sats, whereas the N97 only locks to 3 or 4, sometimes even losing signal. This is even the case on roads in an open area.

I tried to use as well as assisted GPS as the normal GPS, no difference. Also moving the phone around on the windscreen where it would have more 'skyvision' did not really matter. Rotating the phone to landscape also did not make a lot of difference...

Does this sound familiar to more people here?
well,am from india.I got my handst a few days back and the first time I've run the gps it's quite slow.It connect to 4 or 5 satellite in more than 15 mins,and to make things worse its cloudy.But the next day the gps was real quick,locking on 8 to 12 sat in less than a minute.So, I guess this is better, much better than my friend's n95

Old 10-08-2009, 05:34 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
http://www.nokiausers.net/General/Fa...Nokia-N97.html

Nokia have been informed about this issue with the GPS being slow to gain a lock, and hopefully will be fixed in the upcoming V11. The above mentioned link to the road trip article is my experience with OVI Maps 3.0, and then 3.1, and although I state the issues have been fixed with 3.1, I have recently started experiencing lengthy times getting a GPS lock again. Im going to film a video comparison today, comparing the N97 side by side with the N95-1&2, and N82. Keep your eyes peeled on our Nokiausers.net from page.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:53 AM

grimmy58 is on a distinguished road
My main issue is not that Maps is slow to get a lock, it's keeping the lock!

I'll be driving down the motorway on a clear day, and suddenly the GPS tells me I'm not on a road! Sometimes the map will pan 90 degrees clockwise and sit there for a bit. It'll then re-calculate the route, sometimes illustrating that I should come back onto the motorway I'm driving down at the next slip road.

It makes it so hard to get where you're going, if you're approaching a complex junction and the gps loses lock.

I've run it next to my old N95 8gb and that works flawlessly, while it's retarded younger brother (my N97) can't work out where it is.