All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-07-2009, 07:33 PM

Gerco is on a distinguished road
N97 and GPS reception

Hi all,

Today I received my Brodit car holder for the N97. The first thing I noticed is the GPS reception. The phone is placed on the same position as where my N95 8Gb used to be, but the reception is worse. This leads to a position on the map way off my actual location. With my N95 I had a current lock on at least 8 sats, whereas the N97 only locks to 3 or 4, sometimes even losing signal. This is even the case on roads in an open area.

I tried to use as well as assisted GPS as the normal GPS, no difference. Also moving the phone around on the windscreen where it would have more 'skyvision' did not really matter. Rotating the phone to landscape also did not make a lot of difference...

Does this sound familiar to more people here?

Old 13-07-2009, 07:49 PM

dorisall is on a distinguished road
Yeah me too, the N97 loses Satellite lock quite easily and often.
Ericsson T19 -> Nokia 3330 -> Nokia 8310 -> Nokia 6310 -> Samsung T100 -> Nokia 7210 -> Nokia 7650 -> Nokia 3650 -> Nokia 7250 -> Nokia 6600 -> imate pocket pc -> Sony Ericsson P900 -> Nokia 9290 -> Nokia 9500 -> Motorola V600 -> Motorola Razr -> Nokia 7280 -> Nokia N90 -> Nokia N93 -> Blackberry Pearl -> Nokia 95(NOW) -> Nokia E90 -> Motorola Razr2 V8 -> Nokia N71 -> Imate PDA2K (Still have it) ->Nokia N95 8GB -> Nokia E71-1 -> Samsung T919 -> Nokia N96 -> T-Mobile G1 + Nokia N96 -> Nokia N97

Old 15-07-2009, 09:21 AM

cjemerson is on a distinguished road
N97 and GPS Reception

Same here. Loses gps lock often, shows my position 500 metres or so behind where I am (that's when it shows me anywhere...). Using Ovi Maps 3.0 is worst , Google maps a little better but still loses gps signal, so I guess it's hardware or firmware. Nokia don't reply to my emails.

As of now, N97 is unusable for SatNav and I'm back to the trusty N95 (which meant swapping back the old brodit holder for the car - glad I hadn't chucked it).

Old 15-07-2009, 09:42 AM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
Yeh, i've turned A-GPS on in the options and it gets me to within 90m almost right away on google maps, but that's not good enough, especially when the N96 could lock 3 or 4 satelites on to 20m in a few seconds!
Ads

Old 15-07-2009, 11:09 AM

grimmy58 is on a distinguished road
I'm using a debranded Voda handset in the UK and I'm having similar issues.

I make a 300 mile trip most weekends, and while I know the way there by now, I like an eta and mile counter, so I shell out for the turn by turn directions.

With the N95 8gb it was really good, no major problems at all, however the N97 loses lock CONSTANTLY. I've just updated to maps 3.0, hoping this would make a difference, but a previous poster states that it makes it worse!

Do you guys calibrate the compass before inputting an address? does this make any difference? When I'm getting turn by turn directions the compass marker is White rather than red, yellow or green.

Any help on how to get a better lock would be appreciated.

ps. does anyone know how to show "my position" ie return the map to the red dot, while the keyboard is shut? It annoys me to have to pick my phone up while driving and open the slide to push the space bar!

cheers.

Old 15-07-2009, 12:49 PM

Gerco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmy58 View Post

ps. does anyone know how to show "my position" ie return the map to the red dot, while the keyboard is shut? It annoys me to have to pick my phone up while driving and open the slide to push the space bar!
Hit 'Options' (bottom left), followed by 'My Position'. The menu option is only available when you have a GPS fix though..

Old 15-07-2009, 04:19 PM

jmcgrath is on a distinguished road
And here was me thinking that I was the only one that was having problems getting and keeping a lock. I do a lot of traveling and this is a real problem for me. It looks like it's time to go back to the old N96. I'm also glad that I kept my Brodit car clip for it.

Here's hoping that there is another firmware update soon.

John

Old 16-07-2009, 06:38 AM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerco View Post
Hit 'Options' (bottom left), followed by 'My Position'. The menu option is only available when you have a GPS fix though..
There's a black box with a red dot in the top right hand corner of maps 3 that points to where you are.

Tap on that and it'll go to your location.

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 16-07-2009, 07:21 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerco View Post
Actually, I think this option appears once there is a GSM/3G lock too, which is normally quite quick, but not very accurate as has already been mentioned.

I see mention of Maps 3 - is this not the version you get as standard on the N97 then? Where do I go to upgrade?

Generally though, I thought once I got the firmware update I'd be happy with this phone but the more I read, the more I realise how good my N95 was. In fact, I just opened up Maps to try and find out what version it was and now the phone is complety frozen. Battery coming off. That'll be the second time today I've had to turn it off and it's only 8:20am!

Old 16-07-2009, 07:48 AM

Maps 3 is available to some users as a software update (applciations/sw update).

Failing that, go to http://maps.nokia.com follow the instructions in the Download section...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

Old 16-07-2009, 08:00 AM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
The compass is only used in map mode and has no effect from what I can see in navigation mode ( why Nokia made two different "modes" is beyond me ) as its always grey regardless of the lock state before hand.

Not to mention you look like a complete spacktard calibrating it which you seem to have to do before EVERY trip. Last proper compass I brought seemed to work out of the box without having to wave it round as if your performing demented mickey mouse style magic.

Its slow at keeping up
It's often behind ( usually by about 500m sometimes more )
The UI as in menu structure is possibly the most unintuitive in any sat nav program I have used.
Their seems to be no POI support.
It has the McGuider problem where if your streaming music in the background you cant skip tracks unless you hold MENU and then back again.
The address search is absolutely dire often finding no results when re-searching
Constantly Looses lock and then spazes around before giving you the same direction it just did.

All in all lock issues aside I don't think im going to continue paying for Maps after the trial is over. 3 Iterations of Maps and its still as bad as the first and still costs the same hideous amount of cash each month.

Old 16-07-2009, 08:41 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecozens View Post
Maps 3 is available to some users as a software update (applciations/sw update).

Failing that, go to http://maps.nokia.com follow the instructions in the Download section...
Thanks

Old 16-07-2009, 09:04 AM

No worries.

As far as compass in nav mode goes, you don't need it when driving, since you can infer direction by comparing last 3 gps points (or something) on account of the fact the road only goes 2 ways...

Works fine for walking directions...

Old 16-07-2009, 12:00 PM

thebluevoice is on a distinguished road
Version 3

Has ANYONE actually got version 3 giving a usable stable lock whilst in motion or even stationary for that matter?!

If so, please post full version number of the app and which N97 they have!

Old 16-07-2009, 12:31 PM

hdbueller is on a distinguished road
Wow..... I haven't had any problems with the gps! It has been quick to lock and accurate! It has been almost as good as my Tom Tom 7 so far.
Later..............