All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 AM

stashio is on a distinguished road
Talking Thanks!

Wow guys I had to register to say thanks for sharing the fix for this! I bricked my N97 (voda) on the 1st, the replacement arrives today. I was worried about trying it again but since reading this thread I'll be happy to give it another go

Old 04-07-2009, 10:08 AM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
I've changed the product code on my N80 once before, to switch it from being I think at the time Orange branded and b**tardised with features taken out to a generic firmware.

So I kept it within the same country.

I would never change a product from one contient or country to another because for me, Im not sure if it is the case, but surely there is a possibility that different phones are built for different markets and therefore possibly slightly different hardware. Im thinking in terms of things such as the various cellular bands and frequencies.

So I'll wait for genuine UK firmware first.

Cya
Simon

Old 04-07-2009, 02:52 PM

gareth303 is on a distinguished road
Thank God For You Guys :)

Gents - I'd just like to thank you guys for putting this solution up on the forum. Worked like a dream and now I'm on the latest firmware. Felt like a proper hacker

Just one question though - if another firmware update comes along will I be OK using NSU? I'm on the Euro product code now as opposed to Vodafone.

Again many thanks for posting this solution

Old 04-07-2009, 07:06 PM

inzimam is on a distinguished road
This is a great thread. Thanks everyone!

However, I have followed the instructions and got the update to work from Three UK firmware to the Euro 1 unbranded firmware. All seemed ok and reset the phone. However, it did not come with the Facebook/ Aquweather widgets?

Anyone else encountered this? Is there anyway to sort this out?

More imrportantly, do you think there is anything else missing, maybe something more important?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 PM

JamesRossell is on a distinguished road
Me Too

Hi Everyone,

I have read through this thread, as I too suffered exactly the same fate. Vodafone N97, NSS change product code, then bricked via Nokia update.

I am keen to follow the process to fix it with JAF, but i'm clearly missing something. Do you ALL own JAF, because when I download it it keeps on about a Pkey and stuff.

I really want to fix my n97, and quick. Please could someone help me with a bit more detail about not to get JAF working?

Cheers.

James

Old 05-07-2009, 08:25 AM

MrAaronVenn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRossell View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have read through this thread, as I too suffered exactly the same fate. Vodafone N97, NSS change product code, then bricked via Nokia update.

I am keen to follow the process to fix it with JAF, but i'm clearly missing something. Do you ALL own JAF, because when I download it it keeps on about a Pkey and stuff.

I really want to fix my n97, and quick. Please could someone help me with a bit more detail about not to get JAF working?

Cheers.

James
I think all you need is the Pkey Emulator thingo.
Are you using Vista?

JAF PKEY Emulator v4.0
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ANG6RHPQ

You need that JAF PKEY Emulator thing, install it and then Run As Administrator and then JAF just magically gets emulated by it.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:24 AM

Thanks for that, but that seemed to just be a trojan! :(

Old 05-07-2009, 10:43 AM

jimijam is on a distinguished road
If anyone's phone hangs/dies/whatever after the 'Pooling' stage, make sure you are using the new firmware - v11.

My bro's phone was v10, he used NSU to update to v11 - it appeared to work - till it restarted and was bricked. I followed the instructions to unbrick but used the v10 firmware (thought it would be safer) but that failed at the Pooling stage. Tried the v11 instead and it worked first go.

Needless to say he is a lucky bugger

Also if you're having problems with JAF detecting your phone (i.e. you're pressing the Power button but it can't find the phone) - just keep trying!!! It will get there eventually - press it repeatedly. I was getting a success rate of about 1/20 after the first manual flash failed.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:47 AM

jimijam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks for that, but that seemed to just be a trojan! :(
Yes McAffee picked this up as a trojan for me too. Possibly it's just setting off some heuristic that's calling it that. AVG didn't flag it as one. I turned off the AV, used the thing, then did a full virus scan after and there was no sign of any virus.

At any rate I'd rather have a virus infected computer than a bricked phone A computer can be format/reinstalled very easily.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
Yes McAffee picked this up as a trojan for me too. Possibly it's just setting off some heuristic that's calling it that. AVG didn't flag it as one. I turned off the AV, used the thing, then did a full virus scan after and there was no sign of any virus.

At any rate I'd rather have a virus infected computer than a bricked phone A computer can be format/reinstalled very easily.
Too True. I made the same decision!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:56 AM

Fixed IT! :>

Hey Guys,

Just thought I would let you know that I managed to fix it!

OMG it was tricky, but following the instructions in this thread worked.

The hardest bit is turning the phone at the same time. Managed to add a bit of comedy to it, as I was getting soo annoyed i went to pull the battery just as it saw the phone and started flashing , so there i was HOLDING the battery against the contacts, whilst it re-flashed my already dead phone. LOL

Either way it worked so thanks again.

Now i've got to reset it all up again!

James

Old 05-07-2009, 03:15 PM

Degriz is on a distinguished road
Just wanted to post thanks to all the people who have posted help here. Unbricked my n97 using jaf and a lot of swearing! Cheers!!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:49 PM

inzimam is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Hey Guys,

Just thought I would let you know that I managed to fix it!

OMG it was tricky, but following the instructions in this thread worked.

The hardest bit is turning the phone at the same time. Managed to add a bit of comedy to it, as I was getting soo annoyed i went to pull the battery just as it saw the phone and started flashing , so there i was HOLDING the battery against the contacts, whilst it re-flashed my already dead phone. LOL

Either way it worked so thanks again.

Now i've got to reset it all up again!

James
Did you have the facebook application widget afterwards?
Ads

Old 05-07-2009, 10:48 PM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
seems to be the voda v10 firmware that is doing this to handsets

just debranded two n97s for friends uk sim free models , used jaf and nsu and worked fine

the other day i saw a voda bricked and read about many voda being bricked by nsu after p/c change to debrand

it seems that v10 voda firmware cant take the debrand and update at the same time and is causing the white screen off death that can only be saved by the jaf dead flash method posted here

users who have a v10 handset on voda and debranded to v10 were fine

its just voda users who are debranding v10 and updating to v11 at the same time

iam hoping that voda release a v11 soon and that this is changed in that firmware as it is very harsh to have messed up the v10 voda firmware that bad that a debrand can brick your device

Old 05-07-2009, 11:09 PM

Seft is on a distinguished road
Has anyone had any experiences with or read about doing the upgrade with a 3 branded handset?