All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-09-2008, 05:52 PM

Dylanlewis2000 is on a distinguished road
Nokia E-90 Sucessor

I was in the O2 Shop a few days ago, looking at the Nokia E90 as an upgrade from my N95, and the guy there said that this phone has now been discontinued, but had no information as to what was its sucessor.

There is nothing on the Nokia website, and as far as im aware, nowthing on the O2 Site. Does anyone know what the sucessor of this phone is?

Old 15-09-2008, 02:12 AM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
The successor must be a new communicator and since there is no new communicator (and there is no rumor about a new one) then am not sure there is a successor.
am not sure about these news.

Old 20-09-2008, 03:43 PM

swingerman is on a distinguished road
Hi,

There is no successor of the Nokia E90. If it's discountinued, maybe it is by O2 but not by Nokia.

You did not find any info on Nokia's site 'cause it isn't true.

Maybe the guy meant the N95 'cause it has a successor the N96.

Cheers,

Old 20-09-2008, 07:23 PM

Just bought the E90 Black with flat keyboard before 2 days and my dream is true now for 740$.
i bought it from i2 Iraq...where you live?..you can order it from any country in the gulf i guess.
i just dont know why there is no carrying case in the Package and all the reviews on web say the black one has an impressive carrying case...they told its sold separatly.

Old 29-09-2008, 06:35 AM
Banned

angelinalove is on a distinguished road
Any advertising by new members for blueunplugged will have accounts banned and posts deleted - this is due to spamming here and other forums by blueunplugged.

Last edited by bartmanekul; 30-09-2008 at 01:41 PM.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:11 PM

confucious is on a distinguished road
Next communicator?
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/1...-communicator/

A long way off though.
[Edit]
Someone else posted
Quote:
Mobile-review forum told:

That "new communicator" rumor is based on a concept image by S60, not Nokia. And that image has been around since the introduction of S60 Touch about a year ago...

So, don't hold your breath for that one.
So looks loke a red herring [/Edit]

Last edited by confucious; 05-10-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:50 PM

ScottE90 is on a distinguished road
I always seem to be waiting for the next communicator aswell.

It seems odd nokia can 'get away' with out of date hardware and software for business users, when the other nokia handsets are getting refreshed / developed much more quickly (it seems).

Ive had the 9210i, 9500 and then the e90, and it seems to loose its novelty quite quickly.

I think nokia need to realise that perhaps the E90 (and its successor) is also for the pro-sumer, and not just business people.

Now that the communicator can work using existing s60, there is no reason it cant benefit from platform sharing with all the other smart devices nokia produce.
Ads

Old 11-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Banned

Ron Jozaites is on a distinguished road
Hai guys i am new to this forum i am interseted in Nokia's latest updates. Thank u.

Old 15-12-2008, 07:12 PM

karldiesen is on a distinguished road
Here is a list of nokia e90's four main problems and improvements for the next commie:

-too slow, especially web-browsing (socially unacceptable; by that I mean you can't just tell someone for example "oh, no prob! We can check if there are more seats left with my phone" It'll just be embarrassing to stand there waiting for ten minutes to do what you want to. Also youtube plays slowmotion videos and is'nt worth using. My newspaper takes 2 minutes to load fully btw!
So, better cpu and gpu and perhaps even more ram(SE xperia has 400
+802.11n wlan with better antenna and stronger battery.

-doesn't take advantage of all the physical space inside the clamshell. Just imagine a nokia communicator with a wider and taller 5" touchscreen! And using the keyboard space to the edges of the phone (also make shift,backspace etc smaller; look at the psion 5mx!), and more tactile feedback.

-New and better operating system (more modern and crisp feel, more intuitive(like iphone) without dumbing down, better calendar, )

- Thinner: the width and height of the phone don't bother me, its hust the damn thickness of the thing that embarrasses me. I look like a wide-hipped clown with it in my pockets! Also weight could go down, but that isn't my priority. + better quality hinges and preferably all-alluminium look like the new macbook!

Last edited by karldiesen; 15-12-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Old 16-12-2008, 01:13 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile

The next Communicator (after E90) should be/have :
-faster of course
-usb connectivity : not only to Computer but also to :
-external Cardreader
-external Harddisk
-CD/DVD writer/player
-usb-stick , etc.
-LAN connectivity
-TV
-VGA , HDMI - out
-xenon flash
-gallery improvement - like Resco
-faster
-Picture and video-editing
-file management - like Xplore
-1080p (Touch)screen
-ability to read text-files from 9210 & 9500 sent by bluetooth
-a PHONE that invented the Computer again !
Good Luck Nokia . Regards : jApi NL

Old 16-12-2008, 04:01 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by karldiesen View Post
Here is a list of nokia e90's four main problems and improvements for the next commie:

-too slow, especially web-browsing (socially unacceptable; by that I mean you can't just tell someone for example "oh, no prob! We can check if there are more seats left with my phone" It'll just be embarrassing to stand there waiting for ten minutes to do what you want to. Also youtube plays slowmotion videos and is'nt worth using. My newspaper takes 2 minutes to load fully btw!
This is far more likely to be down to the speed of your Internet connection than to the speed of your E90.

Quote:
New and better operating system (more modern and crisp feel, more intuitive(like iphone) without dumbing down, better calendar, )
The iPhone OS is intuitive if you don't mind being told what you are allowed to do by apple. The fact is, intuitiveness usually comes at the expense of capability. Anyway, what is not intuitive about S60? Also, just ask any iPhone owner if they can download podcasts straight their phone (they can't because apple won't let them!!)

Quote:
Thinner: the width and height of the phone don't bother me, its hust the damn thickness of the thing that embarrasses me. I look like a wide-hipped clown with it in my pockets! Also weight could go down, but that isn't my priority. + better quality hinges and preferably all-alluminium look like the new macbook!
My E90 is 13 months old, and showing no signs of age. And I have never felt embarrassed about having an E90 in my pocket; all that power AND a QWERTY keyboard has to go somewhere.

Old 16-12-2008, 08:26 PM

mrochester is on a distinguished road
Wow. The E90 runs the same OS version as the N95 and people are complaining that it's outdated?!. You'd be complaining more if it had the latest feature pack 2 and all the problems that entails. The E Series are all about being dependable workhorses and that's why they use older but more mature and stable software. If you want bleeding edge hardware and software, look at the N Series (that's what the N Series is there for).

Old 27-12-2008, 11:58 AM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

Ok so like most i am waiting for the next generation communicator with a next generation chip and all the improvements that will bring. As i have in fact sold my E90 after 10 months of use as i just go bored of it but some of what is being said here is just ridiculous the E90 still has even this long after release the best and most powerful hardware found on any S60 device with it's OMAP 2420 Processor and Power VR MBX graphics. It really doesn't need more mghz or more Ram and definitely no where near as much as WM for the same or better performance.

@karldiesen

I going to take a wild guess you are in the US and not enjoying the 3G/HSDPA speed your E90 can give as otherwise you just wouldn't of made this comment about speed.

Oh and the Xperia X1 doesn't have 400mb Ram nor 384mb Ram but just 256mb Ram I'm afraid it has 400mb of storage memory but not Ram. Also being WM it needs a faster processor and more Ram to run slower and less efficiently then the E90 does i know i had one and couldn't sell it fast enough. But be my guest go buy one and then you will see what you can complain about a list of tweaks and fixes needed straight out the box for it just to run right.

Now you may want a 5" Touchscreen but not all of us do and that would lead to an increase in the size of a E90 replacement and for me the 4" screen is just about perfect as a compromise between size and performance.

Oh please no anything but like the iPhone have you actually tried using one it may well look pretty and smooth but it's a total nightmare to use. Especially the Calender with the revolving time wheels to set start and end times of appointments a freaking nightmare and far from being fast easy or intuitive.

As for the design you want it's not one i want but then it's very unlikely we would all want exactly the same thing but your version seems far to bling for my taste that's for sure.

No device is perfect and i doubt any ever will be either but the best any us can do is find the one that best serves our needs. Now that's never going to be the same device for all of us either is it?

Marc

Old 06-01-2009, 09:18 PM

The improvements: 'without dreams'

1. The E71 Calendar or something better 'Catagories must be there.
2. Zoom (Font sizes) anywhere for better screen usage.
3. E71 Stand by profiles.
4. 32gb Mass memory.
5. Active stand by Widgets.
6. Better Gallery 'with Photos application.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:15 PM

TheSpecialBoy is on a distinguished road
looks like we unleashed our desires for new commi.

I withdraw from discussions about nokia commi right after launch of 9500- a big deception from a series 80 point userpoint of view.
And with the e90 wich was a failure for usage in terms of internal LCD optimised browsing...

I start with desires for new commi:

- zoom keys
- alt-tab switching
- mutiple contact cards - like groups but separate folders (9210 used to have this)
- better contact tab using application
- calendar like Handy Calendar (insiped by 9210 version of calendar) again with usage of tab key
- better file browser
- menu key on internal keyboard
- usb charging
- docking station with second battery charging slot
- mouse ball
- separate keys (not united for faster blind typing)
-mapable keys for apps- to be able to replace built in mapped keys with own apps
- toutch screen (finger sensitive) not with pointing pens
- image editing with save options)
more to come if required