All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-10-2007, 11:55 AM

matt jones is on a distinguished road
Just thought I should mention , I bought an E90 from o2's online shop , which arrived yesterday (Friday 12th)
(I am not going to use it on o2 , I am putting my T-mobile sim in it - It came unlocked and I flashed it with UK Mocca as soon as I got it )

What I found strange was the pricing though

From what I have seen (going from memory) Expansys want 659 for an E90
Nokia want 649 , Clove want 616 - I have seen prices as low as 569 - but TBH I do not know if these are reputable sites or not , plus add to that they do not have any in stock anyway !
So lets look at my deal with o2

89 for the Phone , Then 40 per month on a 12 month Contract

89 + 480 (12x40) = 569

So 569 for an unlocked , generic (post flash ) E90 - Payable on "interest free" monthly instalments of 40pm is pretty damn good IMO

(thats without even considering the 600 xnet mins and 1000 sms's PM included in the contract )

I am quite pleased with this deal

Old 13-10-2007, 01:18 PM

N914gig is on a distinguished road
Hey guys,

I just purchased an e90 yesterday (12/10/2007) n im frm Brunei. Our local dealer received the shipment on d same day i bought it. Apparently its a new batch frm nokia but im nt sure if the bugs or faults frm d previous batch was sorted out. If anybody has questions on its difference juz let me know wat i can help (i.e. difference with old batches n so on..)

Cheers..

Old 13-10-2007, 01:34 PM

tomsky is on a distinguished road
Matt - I've also been looking at the o2 offers. I cant see it for 89 on the 40pm contract, are you sure its not 45pm? In which case it would be 629 in total.

I've done a few calculations (maybe I need a spreadsheet, but I'm not that bothered!) and they all come to about 650 for the phone and tariff over the duration of the contract, whether 12 or 18 months, with slight differences which are probably the wholesale cost of texts/minutes.

My contract renewal isnt due for another 4 months, so hopefully this natural restraint will force me to wait until its cheaper. I'd go for another network, like 3 or T-mobile (with their free/cheap mobile internet), but since all of my friends are on o2, it would cost more to keep in touch.

Gah! Why must they make it so difficult!

Tom

Old 13-10-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsky View Post
Matt - I've also been looking at the o2 offers. I cant see it for 89 on the 40pm contract, are you sure its not 45pm? In which case it would be 629 in total.

Tom

You're right ! I have just looked at their site , and is indeed on the online 45 tariff for that price
Funny because I have definately got it on online 40 (12 mth ) for 89 ! - they must have realised their mistake and changed it
I actually had some trouble TBH , I had been keeping an eye on o2's site , after hearing rumours that they would restock e90's on the 8th or the 10th - so when I woke up on the 10th , I checked , and there they were - there was no photo on the site - so I guessed they had only just put them up there , I placed my order there and then ,as I was expecting the stock to go quick - and specified next day 10am delivery
Come 9.30 am the on thursday - I received an a4 envelope with a sim and welcome pack in - I angrily telephoned o2 - who seemed very vague , and promised to get back to me , They phoned back to tell me they had despatched the e90 and I had signed for it at 9.30 !! - which worried me as I had indeed signed for a package at 9.30 - but it certainly wasn't an e90 !!
It got very tense for a few minutes , and it looked like I was going to be out of pocket ! - Worried that some DHL driver had got a free e90 at my expense , I asked them for the IMEI of the device , so I could report it stolen and get it barred - it was at this point that they admitted there WAS no IMEI because they had allocated no handset to my order !! - from this point on it was all straightforward and I got the handset on Friday (thanks to a helpful guy called Ross )
Sorry for the long story .... but in light of the price change , I am wondering whether they tried to mess up my order on purpose - so I would cancel ?

Apologies for the inaccurate pricing info then

Old 13-10-2007, 02:09 PM

Just got my "in stock" notice from Nokia (bit late now ! )

Old 13-10-2007, 03:31 PM

islamey is on a distinguished road
In the US Nokia E90 is available through Flagship stores for $1200 and some very limited quantities on eBay. The general availability is delayed until middle of November

Old 15-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
play.com

There seems to be stock here (at the time of writing).

http://tinyurl.com/3a422s

Tim

Old 15-10-2007, 08:02 PM

sschueller is on a distinguished road
Web Link

Mobile planet (expansys USA) has 147 in stock right now. They had over 250 this morning when they got them in.

-Stefan

Last edited by sschueller; 15-10-2007 at 08:18 PM.

Old 16-10-2007, 07:00 PM

islamey is on a distinguished road
Prices in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschueller View Post
Mobile planet (expansys USA) has 147 in stock right now. They had over 250 this morning when they got them in.

-Stefan
Looks like the hype for E90 in US is over - the dealers got plenty of stock - the prices will go down fast I will give it a week or two...

Old 18-10-2007, 04:20 PM

citytype is on a distinguished road
Seems to have disappeared from the 02 site again.

Out of stock?

Old 18-10-2007, 07:27 PM

mackangus is on a distinguished road
Went to Voda in Gloucester on Tuesday, and got told "we're not going to have it, too many dalays", so I went over to O2, and asked if they had one in stock - wife now angry, came home an hour late, but with a new E90!!!!
I've been after one since March, but it has been worth the wait! And yes, as mentioned, the O2 ones are unlocked.
Worth trying your O2 shop, looks like they got 1 or 2 each, and no-one believes it.
Happy bunny now ~ Angus

Old 20-10-2007, 04:44 PM

Punjabi007 is on a distinguished road
e90i is expected???

I have heard through sources that E90i is being released anytime soon now!

I have had three swaps of my E90 here in India and all the three had the same problem of IN CALL HISSING NOISE during the call!

Finally I had to lodge a strong complaint and threatened severe action against NOKIA for selling defective phones and thecase has been now refered to the president of Nokia india and their service partner in India.

They have asked me to either take a replacement in form or other model or wait for the solution till next week. I tried asking them about E90i as a replacement but they were non comittal on it.

But through my contacts in retail I have learnt Nokia is releasing E90i as whatever they proclaimed the problems could not be solved or else I would not have been handed over brand new sets with same problem!!

Could someone else with better contacts elsewhere verify this buzz??

Old 21-10-2007, 04:49 AM

sschueller is on a distinguished road
Web Link

The E90 I received from mobileplanet on Thursday has the defective earpeace (hissing and click/pop noises when changing volume during cellular call. Does not happen when doing VoIP calls.).

I have another one on the way from Amazon which I hope wont have the defect.

The model I have from mobile planet is:

V 07.24.0.3
12-06-2007
RA-6
Nokia E90 01

Production Code: 0533332

If there is any confirmation on the rumor of an E90i I will send both back.

Last edited by sschueller; 21-10-2007 at 05:09 PM.