All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-07-2007, 03:51 PM

Jado is on a distinguished road
Symbian Virgin

Hi everyone!

I am about to purchase my first Symbian Phone.

Mr. Steve, let me start by telling you that your reviews (and the discovery of your Smartphones Shows) have made me switch to Symbian, having previously using Windows Mobile exclusively.

While I was looking for reviews on the net, having purchased the HTC TyTN which is a very good smartphone, I nonetheless sold it the same day I read Steve's extensive reviews on the E90.

And now, I just cannot wait untill it is released here in the UAE! I am very curious to see how Symbian looks and feels (user friendlyness, customabilty, potential, etc...) as i have been told that it is very straightforward and easy to use.

Can anyone give me some good links, maybe within this website, for Symbian begginers? Untill now all that I have found is somewhat for more advanced users, comparing old versions with the lates S60 one...

Oh yeah, and Steve, about your Smartphones Show, is it periodical? (if yes how often)

Thanks a lot!

Old 01-07-2007, 06:43 PM

scopestop is on a distinguished road
e90 Downloads-Videos, IM

Hi Steve,

I owned an N95 for a short time as I was waiting for an e90. Luckily I received one sooner than I expected.

The unit I received is from Singapore by the way.

One of the things that I really liked about the N95 was a media download area with 'channels' such as You Tube, Reuters, etc. I particularly liked Reuters for news clips, etc. and they were of exceptional quality.

I don't see where my e90 has this interface and wondered if I am just missing it somewhere.

Also, the Download links for themes, etc. take me to a web page that indicates that says "The service is not available for this terminal". I am guessing this is since it came from Singapore, but I don't know.

One additional question. I have not been able to connect to AOL Instant Messenger within the built-in IM application. I tried to set up a Server called "AOL Instant Messenger" and the settings are as follows:

Server name: AOL Instant Messenger
Access point in use: (tried both my WiFi and GPRS connections which work fine by the way)
Web address: login.oscar.aol.com
User ID: (my AOL Instant Messenger User ID)
Password: (my AOL Instant Messenger Password)

I have searched the forums and the web, but am either using the wrong search terms, it isn't there or my settings are wrong).

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by scopestop; 01-07-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
no idea on AOL IM, try one of the more generic Eseries forums etc.

Steve

Old 02-07-2007, 01:37 AM

OngL is on a distinguished road
E90 does not have AGPS yet, but it will be there (purely speculation). It works great in car, due to larger screen than N95.

I bought SU-8W keyboard to help me in typing emails, but there are some different mapping of keys, watch it...