All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-08-2005, 04:06 PM

JohnC86 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Lots of little questions:

I'm trying to remember them all lol.

First off I have a Vodafone Sendo X, unlocked. (Kudos to Sendo I love it)

Problem 1: When I try update the firmware to the latest Expansis firmware, I have a problem sending SMS messages, I send one message to myself.. as a test.. and it just stays in the outbox, and sends over and over and over again, I dunno how many times, I stopped it at ten. even when I turn the phone off an on they carry on sending, the only way to stop i to format the phone.

I know I can't expect perfection considering my phone was meant to be used on vodafone not expansis however, I do miss the text counter in the SMS editor so it'd be nice if anyone knew why this was doing this..

I'm using an O2 online simcard if that makes any difference

Problem 2: I once got Agile messenger, it's one of the things that made me fall in love with the phone, however now I can't get it working. I can get WAP and GPRS working for both MMS messages and surfing the net. But some reason Agile messenger doesn't work. I'm not sure what firmware I was using when it once worked.. you think that might effect it?

Problem 3: I just got bluetooth on my pc.. woot, not tested it yet because i'm actually downgrading my firmware at the moment because of problem 1. Is it possible to connect Agile Messenger via bluetooth? it'd be kick ass to lie in bed on MSN. also can Email be setup through bluetooth? that'd be nice. And hell if I can surf the net, well i'd be a very happy chappy.

Problem 4: I can't get Email to work on my phone. I set up the email accounts perfect, I'm very familiar with POP3 i've been using it all my life. I have a feeling the problem may be with my pop3 server (needing MAC address authentification) although i'm not certain, so if anyone else has wireless email recieving via gprs can you just lemme know so I can investigate further

Problem 5: I like the Japanese game of Go, anyone know if there is a free (or obtainable) client of Go!?

I think that's all for now lol I know i'm asking a lot, but I've been having a very bad day lol (been re arranging my bedroom i've banged every part of my body lmao) so any replies with solutions would cheer me up alot lol.
Ads

Old 22-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC86
I'm trying to remember them all lol.

First off I have a Vodafone Sendo X, unlocked. (Kudos to Sendo I love it)

Problem 1: When I try update the firmware to the latest Expansis firmware, I have a problem sending SMS messages, I send one message to myself.. as a test.. and it just stays in the outbox, and sends over and over and over again, I dunno how many times, I stopped it at ten. even when I turn the phone off an on they carry on sending, the only way to stop i to format the phone.

I know I can't expect perfection considering my phone was meant to be used on vodafone not expansis however, I do miss the text counter in the SMS editor so it'd be nice if anyone knew why this was doing this..

I'm using an O2 online simcard if that makes any difference
The latest firmwares are not operator specific, so you will need to check that the phone is correcly picking up your SMS service centre. (this should be stored on your SIM card)
Quote:
Problem 2: I once got Agile messenger, it's one of the things that made me fall in love with the phone, however now I can't get it working. I can get WAP and GPRS working for both MMS messages and surfing the net. But some reason Agile messenger doesn't work. I'm not sure what firmware I was using when it once worked.. you think that might effect it?
Agile Messenger works fine with the latest firmware. Maybe it's a problem with Agile itself - it has been playing up for me for the last couple of days.
Quote:
Problem 3: I just got bluetooth on my pc.. woot, not tested it yet because i'm actually downgrading my firmware at the moment because of problem 1. Is it possible to connect Agile Messenger via bluetooth? it'd be kick ass to lie in bed on MSN. also can Email be setup through bluetooth? that'd be nice. And hell if I can surf the net, well i'd be a very happy chappy.
It is possible to do both those, although I haven't done it personally.
Quote:
Problem 4: I can't get Email to work on my phone. I set up the email accounts perfect, I'm very familiar with POP3 i've been using it all my life. I have a feeling the problem may be with my pop3 server (needing MAC address authentification) although i'm not certain, so if anyone else has wireless email recieving via gprs can you just lemme know so I can investigate further
It must be an authentication issue - email works great on my handset using the same firmware.
Quote:
Problem 5: I like the Japanese game of Go, anyone know if there is a free (or obtainable) client of Go!?
Sorry, I've never even heard of it.

Old 22-08-2005, 10:07 PM

RBx is on a distinguished road
About Agile Messenger:

Starting July 2005 we will begin charging a small monthly license fee for the use of Agile Messenger.

See http://www.agilemobile.com/announcement.html

Old 22-08-2005, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuclark
The latest firmwares are not operator specific, so you will need to check that the phone is correcly picking up your SMS service centre. (this should be stored on your SIM card)
Ah right, well I dunno then, It's sending the texts fine, and the sim works perfect with the older firmware, just not with the new one.. very strange.

Quote:
Agile Messenger works fine with the latest firmware. Maybe it's a problem with Agile itself - it has been playing up for me for the last couple of days.
Still not working over gprs but by the look of another post in this thread i'm going to have to change programs anyways :(

Quote:
It is possible to do both those, although I haven't done it personally.
I figured out how to run Agile through bluetooth, which is very handy and a billiant feature, I had to downgrade Agile, but still very nice.. infact it seems to work better than MSN lol

Quote:
It must be an authentication issue - email works great on my handset using the same firmware.
Do you mind me asking who your Email service provider is? i.e. is it a free company? or the email that came with your ISP (i'm looking for a new email address to try with my phone.. to check it's an authentication issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBx
About Agile Messenger:

Starting July 2005 we will begin charging a small monthly license fee for the use of Agile Messenger.

See http://www.agilemobile.com/announcement.html
Argh why do all companies do this when they get big? really annoys me.. typical.

Gutted :(

Old 22-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Do you mind me asking who your Email service provider is? i.e. is it a free company? or the email that came with your ISP (i'm looking for a new email address to try with my phone.. to check it's an authentication issue
My email provider is actually myself - I run my own mail server, so can controll every aspect of it's configuration. I can tell you however, that I haven't had to disable or change any of the standard settings I use for "normal" web and POP access.

Any email provider who supports POP3 access (preferably without IP authentication) should work fine on the X. I know some people have got it working with various ISP's email, such as Freeserve (sorry, Wannado) and even Gmail. (with the optional POP support)

The only problem is Series 60's pretty awful authentication settings - if you can't avoid authentication, try using LonelyCatGames' Profimail application. (they say the X isn't supported, but it works fine)

Old 22-08-2005, 11:21 PM

Ah right, I will give the ole Gmail a try. I've been reading up, apparently my ISP (Blueyonder) uses IP recognition with MAC addresses or something weird I dunno. That's more than likely the problem

Old 24-08-2005, 11:26 AM

Nikyzf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think it's Chinese actually Anyway,
http://my-symbian.com/7650/applicati...=3&fldAuto=325
has Chess, Checkers, and Go as a 3-in-1. I don't know if it works on the Sendo, but you can try it for free.

For anyone who doesn't know about Go, read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(board_game)