All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 07-09-2010, 06:31 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Getting prepped for the N8 and Symbian^3 with the official guide

We don't normally link to official manufacturer user guides going online, but I'll make an exception in this case, since both the Nokia N8 and Symbian^3 itself are going to contain items that are new to even hardened Symbian watchers. The N8 user guide is a 4MB, 122 page PDF file and, although still briefer than we'd like it to be (to mention every function), does contain instructions for using things like WebTV and USB-on-the-go.

Read on in the full article.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Unregistered

Also available in German

The manual is also available in German language.
Just exchange the _en to _de in the link.
http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/g...8-00_UG_de.pdf

regs, Stephan

Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Unregistered

Looks Good.
Shame you have to keep calibrating the compass to make it work, does the iPhone's need calibrating as well ?

Old 07-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Looks Good.
Shame you have to keep calibrating the compass to make it work, does the iPhone's need calibrating as well ?
My android compass has to be waved in a figure 8 pattern to calibrate (Xperia). Even real compasses on boats and aircraft have to be calibrated by a "swing" procedure if you want them to be accurate, because all the earth magnetic fields are affected by your surroundings.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:03 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Looks Good.
Yes, that is a bit annoying. Probably the reason is because of all the other electronics in the device along with the compass. Fortunately it takes just a few secs and is very simple.

Would be interesting to know if this is only a Nokia issue or exists in other phones as well..

Old 07-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Unregistered

All of these consumer level electronic compasses - not just the ones in phones - use this calibration method. It's good to do it everytime you use it just to ensure tight accuracy, but every now and then is OK for general indication.
Ads

Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM

carman58 is on a distinguished road
calibrate compass

I found this a while ago and it's a lot less embarassing than waving the phone about for 30 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1dP5...ayer_embedded#!

Old 07-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Unregistered

Was considering N8 but reading manual has depressingly revealed how little new there is on it.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:28 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Was considering N8 but reading manual has depressingly revealed how little new there is on it.
Like what?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:04 PM

fat_thumbs is on a distinguished road
" - and, in this case, a week or two in advance of the real thing - have a flick through over your morning coffee?"

Appears the N8 is imminent - finally. Currently advertised on Expansys for release on the 20th Sept. Meanwhile Play flips between coming soon and the 8th October!

Looked at the manual, seems sparse, but then the manuals always are.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Unregistered

I like the bit about how to write a shopping list using Notes on page 93. Nokia had better remember to advertise this killer feature!

There is some information on using USB OTG that I've been waiting for though. It says:

"If you connect a hard drive that requires more than 200 mA of power, use an external
power source for the hard drive."

Does anyone have any idea how much current is needed by a typical 2.5" or 1.8" portable USB drive? It would be very nice to carry hundreds of gigabytes of storage around for less than the cost of a 32GB MiceoSD card, but they don't usually have an external power supply option.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:33 PM
AT33

just one button??

The N8 looks good, but why go iSheep style with only one button up front???? I like the way the C7 looks with three buttons up front, green one for call and red one for kill and menu in the middle. That is perfect! I need a red button to kill a phone call or an app.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I like the bit about how to write a shopping list using Notes on page 93. Nokia had better remember to advertise this killer feature!

There is some information on using USB OTG that I've been waiting for though. It says:

"If you connect a hard drive that requires more than 200 mA of power, use an external
power source for the hard drive."

Does anyone have any idea how much current is needed by a typical 2.5" or 1.8" portable USB drive? It would be very nice to carry hundreds of gigabytes of storage around for less than the cost of a 32GB MiceoSD card, but they don't usually have an external power supply option.
USB 2.0 allows for up to 500mA current draw, which is not very much at 5V (because current is inverse proportion to voltage in power calculations). I would suggest that any device with a spindle rotating at high rpm is going to take more than 200mA at 5V. Some probably more than 500mA.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:58 PM
suju_k

not so good

I love Nokia, thats why its even more sad..N8 is no iPhone Killer, nor is it a flagship device.

The N8 has great looks and a great camera, I'm sure you can hold it any way and it will work, I'm also sure that it will work after you drop it from a cliff.All these and more are what we take for granted from Nokia.

but, I just wished they dint publish a user guide, it looks so dated. Thanks to the iPhones and the Androids, todays average smartphone including my 9 year old nephew user know what pinch zoom, kinetic scroll and rubber banding (bounce effect) are.

@Nokia, poach some User Experience folks, give them enough freedom to bring on the next revolution. Otherwise the Samsungs will score on Display's and processing speed, the HTCs will deliver the slimmest touch screen and iPhone will take all the credits.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by malerocks View Post
Yes, that is a bit annoying. Probably the reason is because of all the other electronics in the device along with the compass. Fortunately it takes just a few secs and is very simple.

Would be interesting to know if this is only a Nokia issue or exists in other phones as well..
I have an iPhone 3GS and E72, they both need the wave. The Compass App in the iPhone has a note about "Compass Interference" and one of the steps to correct this is "by waving iPhone in a figure motion."