All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 29-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Touch or keyboard, is there's only one way to sort this out?

You may recall last week we pointed out Nokia’a Conversations Blog post crying out the virtues of the keyboard. Keeping the karmic balance, this week sees the touchscreen side of the debate step up to take a swing at the arguments. And then there’s Tomi Ahonen’s take on the debate.

Read on in the full article.

Old 29-07-2010, 03:21 PM

carman58 is on a distinguished road
Hybrid

And the solution to the debate is a hybrid phone so you can have the best of both worlds ! My N97 is obviously not the best example , but the form factor is , I think , perfect . So I really hope a 4 inch plus touchscreen phone with slide out qwerty and a good OS arrives soon to keep everyone happy

Old 29-07-2010, 04:33 PM

Biggles is on a distinguished road
I'd rather a touch screen with a keypad, like this: http://www.gsmarena.com/i_mate_ultimate_9150-1884.php

OK, so that was a WinMob device, and it was cancelled. But the form factor would be fantastic - big screen (plus touch) and a keypad, in a clamshell. Like a touchscreen N76.

Keyboards are not conducive to one handed operation, keypads are. I know you can get sliders, but long term they seem less reliable than clamshells, and at least a clamshell offers screen protection.

Oh well, I can dream.

Old 29-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Unregistered

Palm Pixi

What about a form factor like the Palm Pixi? You get the E71-like body, but with a touch screen. I can't think of a better combination.

Old 30-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Unregistered

Adding a qwerty keypad to an touch screen phone adds weight and thickness but seems the best compromises. But in the end there is no debate here, all types are available, pick the one you prefer. The next person might prefer something else so they buy something else.

Although interestingly, when Sony Ericsson add a keypad to a phone it becomes the "pro" model.
Ads

Old 30-07-2010, 07:17 PM

carman58 is on a distinguished road
Choice !

I entirely agree that people should have choice, and not everyone uses their phone the same way, my personal preference is to have both and I'm happy to accept the 'bulk' in fact I'm hoping my next handset will be even 'Bulkier' !! Bigger screen means bigger, easier to use slide out qwerty, but I would have to stop before the Dell Streak size (unless I could find some MC Hammer Trousers LOL