All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Orange Wednesdays makes QT debut on S60

Is there anything stunning about the "Orange Wednesday" application that just popped up in the UK Ovi Store? Probably not, but there is more to it though, with Qt for developers, marketing for company strategy, and a great cinema listings app for UK users. Read on...

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:08 PM

deadkenny is on a distinguished road
Bloody 5th edition only again!

And don't tell me Qt doesn't work on 3rd edition, because it does. At least with 3.2.

Majority of stuff on Ovi for me is "Sorry, this item is not available for the Nokia E72". For a phone only 8 months old!

Old 11-07-2010, 02:19 PM
DanielW

It's Qt not QT!

Old 11-07-2010, 03:05 PM
unregistered

doesn't work on i8910 unfortunately!

Old 11-07-2010, 05:10 PM
John G. Doe

@deadkenny

Qt does work on 3.1+ devices but that doesn't mean that every app should be made available for those devices too. Orange is clearly preparing itself for N8 and thus it makes sense to have a Qt based app released for touch devices since the app happens to be ready. D'oh!

Now all is left for Orange is to create an UI design suitable for 3.x devices (small screen, non-touch) and have it on the market as soon as ready. If they see a need for that.
Ads

Old 11-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Unregistered

@unregistered user

Of course it doesn't. Applications released on Ovi Store are intended for Nokia devices only.
Wait for the application to become available on Samsung's app store and then give it a try. Or maybe Orange will push it to you, if you are a Orange customer.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:32 AM

Hurlley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadkenny View Post
Bloody 5th edition only again!

And don't tell me Qt doesn't work on 3rd edition, because it does. At least with 3.2.

Majority of stuff on Ovi for me is "Sorry, this item is not available for the Nokia E72". For a phone only 8 months old!
This will forever be Nokias problem, s60 v3 only or v5 only, or Symbian^3 only, then symbian^5 only, meego only applications and they die with the phone, this method simply does not work in this day and age. My N86 is clearly redundant as far as Nokia are concerned.

Orange do provide cinema listings etc on their mobile wap site, this just makes it more accessible for the compatible.

Last edited by Hurlley; 12-07-2010 at 02:37 AM.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:04 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Nice, 2 of the 5 movies shown in the 1st screenshot are Indian movies.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:13 AM
Unregistered

Qt should work on touch devices and nontouch too, but in practice the UI paradigms are very different, you have to create two separate UIs if you want the best experience possible. My guess is that they looked at the needed amount of work and said that they'd go for the popular touch based phones at first and then for the rest of them (or not at all :p)

Old 12-07-2010, 07:11 AM

fernando20 is on a distinguished road
Can you upload the installer, so us non .uk folks can check it out? I'm definitely curious about how a real, production grade Qt app feels like.

Also, for those with 3rd ed. phones; look at the screen shots then look at your phones. It's not that Qt doesn't work on 3rd ed, but an application made to run on 3rd ed would have to be something entirely different. This is like if I were complaining about not being able to run a pressure sensitive drawing application on my computer even though I don't have a graphics tablet.

Last edited by fernando20; 12-07-2010 at 07:17 AM.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:40 AM

Biggles is on a distinguished road
Tried installing this on my hacked Satio direct from Ovi Store. Says it installed, but never got an icon to launch it. Ah well. :(

Old 12-07-2010, 12:09 PM

Actually, I'll give them a chance as I've realised that Ovi Store is only accepting Qt apps for 5th edition at the moment anyway it seems. 3.x and Meego are to follow however.

As for the design of the UI however, with Qt it's not supposed to be rocket science to design a different layout for big screen touch and small screen non-touch. I would hope Orange have already planned for this, but I suspect with the focus from Nokia being entirely on touch (despite trying to flog small screen business emailers in a hope to compete with BB) they will not bother.

My point still stands though about the lack of support for 3.x devices (especially brand new 3.2 devices!), and I suspect for that matter any non-touch or small screen format phones. The emailers coming up with Symbian^3 or whatever will still have the same problem of a different UI layout. Touch is all nice and fine, but not everyone wants or needs touch.

Qt however was supposed to make the age old problem of incompatible platforms in Nokia a thing of the past. Yet still at launch they only support Qt on one specific platform. One of the problems Nokia has always had is launching products that are incomplete. They should take a leaf from Apple and wait until it's ready, then announce and release it.

Last edited by deadkenny; 12-07-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadkenny View Post
They should take a leaf from Apple and wait until it's ready, then announce and release it.
If Apple actually did that then I would agree, but they don't.

Old 30-07-2010, 03:23 PM
AshS

Building Orange Wednesdays in Qt

You might be interested in the below blog on building Orange Wednesdays in Qt, from Orange Labs

http://blog.symbian.org/2010/07/30/b...-qt/#more-9158

Old 01-08-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If Apple actually did that then I would agree, but they don't.
Sorry but Apple do. iPhone 4 was only officially launched on 7th June this year and released later in the month. The same with the 3GS, announced to the world on 8th June 2009, released for sale 19th June. iPhone 3, 9th June 2008, released a month later.

The only reason people know about an upcoming phone is due to leaks and even then it's mostly vague speculation (iPhone 4 being different due to a prototype being left in a coffee shop).

Nokia often officially launch products 6 months to a year before and when finally they are sold, they are in a beta state. They might get one major software fix to address key issues if enough people have complained, and then they're forgotten whilst they move onto the next phone that makes the previous OS and apps redundant.