All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Review: Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro

David Gilson and I play tag team reviewer for our coverage of Sony Ericsson's Vivaz range. Having tackled the Vivaz, I hand over to David for the Vivaz Pro - in this, part 1 of a two part review special, he examines the Vivaz Pro's hardware in detail and runs it heavily for an intensive week of duty. Despite an appealing design generally, David was very disappointed by the battery life and felt a bit let down by the output from the 5mp stills and 720p-recording video cameras

Read on in the full article.

Old 27-06-2010, 10:06 PM

rafiii is on a distinguished road
The sound of the videos seems to be louder than the original Vivaz.

Old 28-06-2010, 07:27 AM

gadget freak is on a distinguished road
What with sony ericsson releasing half baked phones that are dead on arrival.

after the shambles of the X10 released with ancient os,http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/News/...htc_fight.html they release this s60 5th edition that everybody knows is rotten.

Ok the majority of buyers won't know that when they buy it, and by the same token the same buyers won't know how to update firmware and patches either.

They should have just waited for symbian 3, my hand is up for a symbian 3 device with keyboard

Old 28-06-2010, 12:33 PM

Markdubya is on a distinguished road
Nice, thoughtful first part to the review.

I like the idea of a good keyboard with a larger screen - let's hope part 2 doesn't contain too many caveats.

It seems like you gave the phone an intensive work-out for a week - but is it really possible that the battery life could be so poor, particularly with the similarly-equipped Nokia N97 Mini showing greater autonomy?

Old 28-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Unregistered

You don't want one of those! You want one of these! :-)

http://mynokiablog.com/2010/06/26/no...n-clarity-8mp/

Old 28-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Enn

what is the camera which took these photos? its sucks.

Old 28-06-2010, 01:25 PM

ricman is on a distinguished road
screen lock

At least on the "first" Vivaz, a second press on the power button selects the already highlighted "screen lock " option - found it after shutting off the phone a couple of times by trying to lock it with my clumsy thumbs (blush)
Ads

Old 28-06-2010, 04:12 PM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enn View Post
what is the camera which took these photos? its sucks.
Hi, was it all of the photos you weren't happy with, or just some?

Old 28-06-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricman View Post
At least on the "first" Vivaz, a second press on the power button selects the already highlighted "screen lock " option - found it after shutting off the phone a couple of times by trying to lock it with my clumsy thumbs (blush)
Thanks for that, just tried it on the Vivaz Pro and it works just the same!

Old 29-06-2010, 05:49 AM

maartenmk is on a distinguished road
The video stuttering may be a memory card issue. Defragmenting helps for the N900, maybe it does so here as well? Or try using a class 6 card.

Another thing, perhaps you could devote a small section to using SPB mobile shell on this? The hardware looks nice, so if the shortcomings of the SE implementation of the os can be avoided in that way, it may be a good combination to recommend.

Last edited by maartenmk; 29-06-2010 at 05:51 AM. Reason: grammar

Old 29-06-2010, 07:37 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by maartenmk View Post
Another thing, perhaps you could devote a small section to using SPB mobile shell on this? The hardware looks nice, so if the shortcomings of the SE implementation of the os can be avoided in that way, it may be a good combination to recommend.
Thats a good point. According to Steve's RAM related article yesterday, the Vivaz has oodles of free RAM after boot and is way above the required RAM graph. If 10-15 MB of that is sacrificed to SPB mobile shell, it may make the phone better to use and at the same time ensure there is enough RAM available for the other apps.

Old 29-06-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maartenmk View Post
The video stuttering may be a memory card issue. Defragmenting helps for the N900, maybe it does so here as well? Or try using a class 6 card.

Nice idea about the SPB Mobile shell. That's something someone could do in the future. I won't have time now because Sony Ericsson's PR agency want this review unit back this week.

As for the memory card, I had the same first thought and discussed it with Steve. The memory card supplied with this Vivaz Pro was a class 2 card. That means its guaranteed minimum write speed is 2MB/sec, which translates to 120MB per minute. The MP4 videos created by the Vivaz Pro video camera averaged out to 50MB per minute. So there's plenty of bandwidth on the memory card to take the video output from the Vivaz Pro. That's why we agreed that the only other possibility was the CPU.

Last edited by davidgilson; 29-06-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Old 30-06-2010, 06:19 AM

maartenmk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgilson View Post

As for the memory card, I had the same first thought and discussed it with Steve. The memory card supplied with this Vivaz Pro was a class 2 card. That means its guaranteed minimum write speed is 2MB/sec, which translates to 120MB per minute. The MP4 videos created by the Vivaz Pro video camera averaged out to 50MB per minute. So there's plenty of bandwidth on the memory card to take the video output from the Vivaz Pro. That's why we agreed that the only other possibility was the CPU.
In theory you are right of course. But it does seem to help with the N900, and that records at 848*480, at roughly 20-30MB/sec.

Old 24-07-2010, 04:21 AM
Unregistered

Vivaz pro

i have just droped my vivaz pro and the top side of the the cover cameout anyidea how to fix?

Old 30-01-2011, 07:57 PM

vivaz is on a distinguished road
Any app that can remind me of friends birthday?