All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
55% of Nokia users backup to their desktop

Nokia Conversations have announced their results from the poll they opened last week, asking how users back up their phones. While Nokia Conversations did not publish a full set of results, it appears that around 55% of those who responded are not using the cloud, but instead using Nokia's desktop software. This 55% of desktop users is made up by the first and second places in the poll. Ovi Suite came in first with 36% and 19% answered 'Nokia PC Desktop'. It's good to see that more desktop users are using the more up to date Ovi Suite than the older desktop software.

Read on in the full article.

Old 23-06-2010, 12:15 PM

deadkenny is on a distinguished road
Problem is, this poll only captures those users who are technical (or care) enough to find and take the poll online.

I suspect the amount who actually backup at all, or even remotely connect their Nokia phone to a PC or web is actually rather small. At least if you include basic and feature phones and not just smart phones.

Old 23-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Unregistered

Responsibility for data

The article says "Local backups are good, but the user is still responsible for looking after their data".

True enough. On the other hand, when using remote facilities such as OVI Sync and its ilk, the small text always says things to the effect of "if we lose your data that's tough luck", so a local backup of some kind is necessary anyway.

Old 23-06-2010, 12:39 PM

IanD is on a distinguished road
Good points from the commentors. Our audience is very wide, but yes - it stands to reason that you have to be pretty passionate about a brand to (a) read its blog and (b) submit a poll vote. So these are the creme-de-la-creme. Also, like any other form of backup, people are probably more negligent that they admit to.

So 10% not backing up at all is a bit shocking, really.

Old 23-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Unregistered

Wrong CONTENT!! majority using nokia Ovi cloud backup

the ovi backup nokia conversation said in the pool were cloud backup

it's the ovi backup on the cell phone using the nokia ovi id.

Old 23-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Unregistered

I don't bakcup at all. I don't use contacts, I don't seem to need to.

I lost a phone once. Got a new one and carried on. Not a big deal .

Old 23-06-2010, 04:45 PM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
In response to IanD & the first unregistered ...

I agree that 'best practice' is to keep a local & up-to-date copy of anything you have in the cloud. In fact, I use Memotoo.com, whom makes it incredibly easy to download a backup of all your data; Therefore, I have my data on the phone, in the cloud and on my laptop. This fits perfectly with the maxim "If you don't have at least three copies of all your data, then you don't have your data".

That being so, this is one of the big reasons I don't use the Ovi Services, because I cannot find any import or export function on their website. I think this is desperately needed.

Are there any Nokia/Ovi developers out there who fancy forming the Ovi equivalent of the Data Liberation Front?

Old 23-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Unregistered

Love the devices, hate Ovi Suite, Ovi Player etc.

I love my N97, but I really hate Ovi Suite and Ovi Player/Music. It's slow, unreliable, heavy and just plain frustrating to use.

I use the good old PC Suite, that works!

Old 24-06-2010, 09:28 AM

jamessmith01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's good to see that more desktop users are using the more up to date Ovi Suite than the older desktop software.
Why is this good to see? It's strange that you should make that comment without qualification. On the contrary, many/most users I've discussed this with say they much prefer the old PC Suite to Ovi Suite. PC Suite is fast, functional and concise, where Ovi Suite is slow, clunky and bloated.

Old 24-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Unregistered

I back my phone to desktop but have to go through hoops:
1. Back up phone memory to removal memory
2. Create disk image of removal memory.

Unfortunately Nokia haven't create a back up solution for OSX.

Old 24-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Unregistered

ovi suite

I use ovi.com, and PC suite. You cant even use your calendar with the current Ovi suite software!

Old 24-06-2010, 09:54 PM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
It's good to see that more desktop users are using the more up to date Ovi Suite than the older desktop software.
I too take exception to this comment. I rely on Briefcase for synchronizing my files. You cannot do this with Ovi Suite, only PC Suite.