All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 80

Old 20-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
How long SHOULD a smartphone battery last?

Starting with a throwaway line from a US podcast, Steve Litchfield works up a head of steam over the ever-slipping battery life standard in our smartphones. How long is long enough when it comes to keeping a modern smartphone going on a single charge? Are we destined to need to carry around mobile chargers in our pocket in 2011 or is there a better way to go? Surely making it through the day is a fundamental that should never be compromised?

Read on in the full article.

Old 20-06-2010, 07:32 PM

carman58 is on a distinguished road
Battery Life.

Completely agree steve, I've had to charge my N97 on a daily basis from new, and several times it's died mid-afternoon, so I bought a 1900mAh battery which gave me a bit more time and juice, but still have days where phone dies before six !! Today I received a 2800mAh battery and new phone back to accomodate it, Just charging it as I type, and to be frank it makes the phone look horrendous, however if it lets me use the phone for a day or two without carrying a spare battery or charger, I think I can live with the bulk and weight. I'm hoping it will give me two days of heavy use and if it doesn't, the only thing I can think of is a very very very long usb charger cable, which somewhat defeats the concept of a 'mobile' phone ?
Oh yes, and good, informative and interesting article as per usual

Old 20-06-2010, 07:34 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
I think it depends on how you use your phone to be honest.
I am a somewhat heavy user and I never got two days out of an N95 8GB, usually but not always got a whole day though.
I used to get two days out if the E71, but never managed a whole day with the n97.
I get a day out of the iPhone 3GS usually, but that's using wifi for data not 3G, it definitely uses more battery when using 3G.
The one thing I have noticed though is how much more I use my phone these days, for web, for email, for twitter etc etc, which brings me back to my first point, the more you use it the more battery you will use.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 20-06-2010, 08:05 PM

carman58 is on a distinguished road
How you use the phone

I entirely agree that usage consumes the battery much faster, logically, however I think ALL phone manufacturers should install a battery that will run its most power hungry apps for at least 10 to 12 hrs. What's the point having a mobile multi media computer that you can't use ? OK 12 hrs navigation or video viewing may be excessive, but more and more netbooks and net'pads' are giving 8hrs plus and surely their power consumption is proportionately higher than a mobile phone ?

Old 20-06-2010, 08:14 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
You have to stop saying that the new and faster processors consume more power than the old ones. The iphone 3gs has the same battery as the older 3g model yet still has better battery life BECAUSE of the new and faster processor. They use less power because they are more efficient in getting things done and are able to go back to idle sooner.

The a4 chip is probably more efficient than the old one and the new iphone will have a better battery life than the old one. Apple doesn't lie about battery life.

You keep saying that symbian has better battery management than others like the iphone.
Well i've had several symbian phones(n95 8gb, n86, i8910) in the last 2 years and I had an iphone 3gs.

And by far the worst of them all was the i8910, a symbian phone with a 1500 mah battery. The iphone and the 2 others are roughly similar. Given the small screens they should performe similar to the iphone which they do. This tells me that the battery management efficiency of symbian is not really a big factor.

Old 20-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkom View Post
And by far the worst of them all was the i8910, a symbian phone with a 1500 mah battery. The iphone and the 2 others are roughly similar. Given the small screens they should performe similar to the iphone which they do. This tells me that the battery management efficiency of symbian is not really a big factor.
It does seem a bit device dependent, as if the manufacturer can still mess things up in the firmware.... most i8910 HD firmwares were pretty bad at power management, I've observed. A new HX6 firmware is due that fixes this to some degree...

My main observation in terms of Symbian power efficiency is that I can quite happily have twenty, yes, twenty apps all running at the same time (in RAM) on the likes of my E90 - and the phone stills runs for two on one charge. But that's S60 3rd Edition. Maybe I should add a rider for these touchscreen, event-ified S60 5th Edition phones 8-)

Old 20-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkom View Post

The a4 chip is probably more efficient than the old one and the new iphone will have a better battery life than the old one. Apple doesn't lie about battery life.

Apple do lie about it, just like everything else. I have an iPhone 3GS and it has a really good long battery life just as long as I don't try to use it. Start running apps on it and it absolutely eats battery like a hungry horse. Leave it idling in a good signal area, with BT, WiFi, location and notification off and the battery will go 3 days. Pick it up and use a game and some browsing and I'll need a charge within a day. This is not the only one I have witnessed doing this with its stupid non replacleable battery pack.

Apple even have a page on their website advising people to turn things off to improve battery life because its so bad:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Nokia Symbian phones definitely do more for the mah. So I hope the new iPhone 4 is an improvement because it needs to be. Sequences shortened, some steps removed etc.

On another note, by all accounts the XPeria X10 mini from SE with a hidden Android OS underneath an SE skin has a fabulous battery life from a tiny battery.

Old 20-06-2010, 08:47 PM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
I'm very pleased with the battery life of my E52, and wouldn't go to a device with worse battery life after using it.

Old 20-06-2010, 08:49 PM

suyogmh is on a distinguished road
Better battery technology is must

I fully agree with Steve on this. Why can't we as users expect our phones to last full day? If its not doing that then its huge fail as its basic feature of calls.
I have faced these issues with newer "touchy" phones which are so called high end, flagship.My battery goes down by afternoon and I cant make or receive calls any more.

Guys , Mobiles phones are for Phone Calls, other fancy things are not priority.

If your phone goes dead what's the use of all high end features.

I have happily bought E52-real star with power management and also does smartphone job for me, may not be fancy looking but I never cared about that

Manufacturers need to invest more in R&D and come out with better solutions than asking users to not use features(like Apple does)

Old 20-06-2010, 09:55 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
Yes, I agree that symbian has efficient multitasking. As long as the apps are well behaved(some 3rd party games can really kill the battery if left running) there is no problem leaving them in the background and there is no slowdown at all. The other multitasking oses(winmo and maemo 5) i've tried quickly start slowing down once you have a few apps in the background.

Old 20-06-2010, 10:09 PM

joeyfallon is on a distinguished road
For me it's as simple as this :
People who spend 40 euros on a new Nokia for talk and text only can easily get a full day out of their handsets - how on earth can we recommend that they upgrade to a fun, new advanced handset when you have to be a semi geek to get it through one day ?

It's a smartPHONE manufacturers, and phones are core.

It can't be letting us down during our day - otherwise it'll feel like an unreliable acquaintance instead of your go-to mate.

What about, say, ring-fencing the last 10% of your battery for GSM calls and texts ?
That way we could enjoy the FUNctionality without being worried about missing that important call

Old 20-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Andrew Weekes

The good old days...

I have to say I do miss the days of my Palm Pilot which ran for a month on two AAA's!

Andy.

Old 20-06-2010, 11:07 PM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
ive been writting the same sort of stuff over at nokia users

whats the point in havinga mobile device thats got to be cahrged twice a day

it was going back to s60 v3 and the e72 that made me realise how good it was to have a long lasting battery

i had been using the n900 / nexus one / i8910 / 5800 / n97 / and they all suffered from poor battery specially the n900 when used alot it went down like a formula one cars fuel gauge when being red lined

i tryed the e72 and i used bluetooth streaming and gps for 2.5 hours and the battery hadnt lost a bar

i found the e72 such a good device and loved buttons so much i went and bought a n86 , the battery isnt as good as the e72 but the camera makes up for it and the battery still beats all touch screen devices ive mentioned and its only 1200mah

i can abuse the handset and i know it will make it home

i think t9 and s60v3 has alot going for it , size battery life due to smaller screens and smaller cpu and the o/s being so efficent

i think with s60 v5 we all forgot how good symbian could be

s60v3 is a dependable o/s with great features and alot of good hardware phones for example the n85 is what coming up 2 years old and the feature list on that is amazing infact i bet you can do allmost anything on the n85 that you can say the nexus one etc

battery life for me is important whats the point in having an amzing phone you cant use , after all the latest phones ive tested ive gone back to s60 v3 as it offers all the bells and whistles of a smartphone o/s and also manages to get through the day which many other smartphone o/s cant manage

i think nokia may have messed up with the 1200mah battery in the n8 it would have been so good to see the trusty 1500mah battery in the n8 and the more pics i see i just wander why they couldnt have squeezed it in there

the n8 has the same battery life as my n86 however it has more battery hungry features and when used like they are meant to be the battery is going to go down fast

it reminds me of the n95-1 and the n96 , when everyone found out the n96 had a 950mah battery we all knew it wouldnt be enough as it had more and the same battery

the n8 has less battery power then the n900 so the battery isnt going to be great in it :-(

shame really

i defently agree with your article mate and i dont think its to much to expect a battery that lasts the day on a mobile device ill either use a n86 , n85 , e72 untill newer phones can easily get through the day i think

Old 20-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Bulakbuk

Gone are the days when manufacturers used to offer spare batteries that offer extended talk time (5110, 6310 as such).

I completely agree that all smartphones at present have but one thing in common; power hungry features.

The more power to the processor, the more power needed to sustain it for a couple of hours/days.

I think that manufacturers should offer the option of using a bigger capacity for batteries, what use would a phone be if it cant even run through a whole day of texting, calling, emailing?

But I guess we are at the brink of technology when manufacturers would eventually solve this crisis.

Tacsiyapo!!!

Old 21-06-2010, 07:33 AM

gadget freak is on a distinguished road
if your tied to a desk all day have access to wifi by all means get the latest and greatest, but for those out on the road that must stay connected get a e series or a blackberry.
Ads