All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 07-06-2010, 06:12 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Right Tool for the Right Job - Seven users, seven smartphones

Spanning all platforms and all usage types, at the start of 2010 I compiled recommendations for seven types of smartphone user (i.e. for seven use cases) for The Phones Show, in video form. Six months later, I revisit the same stereotypes in textual form, with updated choices, recommendations and predictions. Do you agree with my assessments? Whether yes or no, your comments are welcome!

Read on in the full article.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:49 AM

bluejacker is on a distinguished road
I agree with most choices, but I would add the N900 to "4. Media Consumer". Especially for watching Videos. I can simply drag and drop my .avi tv series on my N900 and watch them out of the box. Don't know of many other phones capable of doing that which have 48GB of memory (32+16).

Old 07-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Unregistered

The champ phone of no. 7. shouldn't be the HTC - It's either the N900 or the Milestone, and I feel that the N900 is superior - no other phone HAS emulated the mouse yet, unlike the N900! Hover works, click works, AND unlike the Desire, I can actually play, *gasp* games!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Unregistered

sports

what about sport loving user? I actually choose a smartphone if there is a good sports app for the system..
Ads

Old 07-06-2010, 09:12 AM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
I would say that your choice of device can also influence what type of user you are too.

I never considered myself much of a games player nor was it that important to me. However since using an iPhone 3GS gaming probably accounts for 50% using the device - purely through the breadth, quality and value of games available.

Last edited by morpheus2702; 07-06-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Typo

Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 AM
iscogd

Question

Why you are against BB 9700. I was just thinking to buy such phone to exchange with my Nokia E71 and found your remark. Please explain.

Why HTC HD2 is not in the list?

Thanks,
Isaac

Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Unregistered

i would have included the E52 in the categories where you suggested the E72. I dont think typing on the E55 is any faster than E52.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:31 AM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i would have included the E52 in the categories where you suggested the E72. I dont think typing on the E55 is any faster than E52.
I haven't done a direct comparison of the E55 vs E52, but I have compared E55 vs E51. For predictive text, typing isn't any faster on the E55, but once you've adjusted to the layout I find that you can type at the same speed with far less effort (i.e. it's much more comfortable to type with). However, the E55 is faster to type with in multitap mode, according to my tests.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 AM

Jowls is on a distinguished road
Great choices. As far as the N900 being a media device goes, one could argue that it is a phone that basically can do anything - and due to its powerful hardware and flexible software can take its user as far as the ambition and skills permits. It would even be conceivable to run an IPhone emulator on it, if anybody would write one. However out of the box it is not especially targeted at the media consumer.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:02 PM

daos is on a distinguished road
1. If it's debatable whether i8910 video and stills are better then n86 8mp, it is better to discuss it. So i can't imagine how 720p video with prefocus and 24 stable frames per sec is worse then 480p.
2.5. I continue to insist, that WM devices are much better in communications/office world thanks to "still" existing suprb software and unbeatable hardware keyboards.
6. It is better to remind, that for long time it is possible to port on wide range of WM devices latests builds of Android, Ubuntu, which are almost fully functional - you can call from Touch pro Ubuntu and after that use Open office or desktop build Firefox. Moreover, there are tries to port even Maemo.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Unregistered

and sinning

Thank you for the article. I, myself, am firmly planted in the N900 camp. For me this phone/computer excels in almost all categories.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:31 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Now that the iphone 4G has been announced, I am afraid its looking very grim for Nokia (including self admitting fanboying like moi).

It will easily fit under category 1 (Media creation) - especially with the 720p/30fps video recording (but the photos and flash is only average)
Category 2 (communications) has improved with multitasking capabilities (finally)
Category 3 (gaming) is already on top and will put an even further gap between it and the competition with the HD gaming
Category 4 (Media User) - will stay about the same until they remove itunes restrictions (which is never)
Category 5 (Work) - will stay the same but more execs will want it now to improve market share
Category 6 (Tech Enthusiast) - Will improve a little with the extra capabilities of the phone - but is not obviously as customised as the N900
Category 7 (Workaholic) - well.. the resolution is the best there is on the market and the web pages will render much better than before and will displace the HTC's crown in this area.

Ouch.. makes every Nokia fanboy cringe..

The N8 will only be comparable in Category 1 (better still shots and xenon that everyone worships), 2 (about the same), 4 (little restrictions), possibly 7 (but has a substantially weaker processor which is very important for web page rendering).

Last edited by bchliu; 07-06-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:46 PM

Jowls is on a distinguished road
I dont know bchliu - personally I was a bit under-whelmed by the new IPhone. It seems to have improved gaming features (screen and accelerometres) but the rest of the so called "new" features have been present in other phones for a long time. Obviously the new model should replace the 3Gs as the #1 gaming phone, but the rest of Steves choices still stands I think.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:09 AM
Unregistered

iphone 4G it is

Hardly an iphone fanboy, but I think bchliu has a point, the iphone 4G makes a very compelling case for itself. Even if it is not the best phone, one could argue that it is in the top 2-3 phones for virtually every single use case, except maybe the hacker.

What would you rather have, a phone that is the best for a single use case or one that does everything well and leaves everyone else far behind in some of them?

I know where I stand on this, I've dropped my plans to get a n8 and am going with the iphone 4 when its released (Aug/Sep in India)

Jagan (India)

Old 08-06-2010, 01:45 PM
iFanboy

Hell you all know what i'll be going for.

*Day dreams about June 24th*