All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Updated Ovi Calendar app now in beta

Nokia Beta Labs have released a new version of the Ovi Calendar. Initially only available in the online web based component, Calendar 1.6 features support for multiple calendars, and the sharing of these with other Ovi users.

Read on in the full article.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:43 AM

chilko is on a distinguished road
they mentioned that n8 will be the first device to support multiple calendars trough ovi calendar. nice
Ads

Old 06-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Unregistered

Very good to see PIM functionality getting attention, although Nokia has a long way to go before being able to displace Google Sync (OTA push calendar/email/contact sync), or Nuevasync (OTA push calendar/email/contact/task sync).

Old 06-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Ian 2

Why does Nokia spend time and money on slowly replicating already existing (and much better, and free) services like Google Calendar? I would prefer them to concentrate on integration with exiting services, because currently it sucks (only one calendar synchronisation with Google via Mail for Exchange, multiple mobile phones are not synced etc.).

Old 06-05-2010, 08:36 PM

jamoiholland is on a distinguished road
Ditto Ian 2's comment!!

Old 07-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Kukeltje

RE: replicating services

Well, Ian2,jamoiholland, it's not that difficult, it's binding the customer to you... and make money on them AFTER selling a phone...

Why does google not provide the integration for Nokia phones? Because they want you to switch to G1/Nexus one/... And not everybody likes everything Google does (I don't). So competion is good, makes others think of interoperability e.g. of appointments.

Cheers...

Old 10-05-2010, 02:52 PM

deadkenny is on a distinguished road
It's about time multiple calendar support was introduced into Nokia phones. It's long overdue, especially on the E series where business users almost certainly have a mix of home and work, if not other calendars.

I don't use MfE to sync my calendar because I don't want all my home calendar entries ending up in my work Outlook calendar. It would be great if MfE could sync to one calendar and I keep a separate one for home. More complex than that, as a self employed contractor I have home, my company's calendar, plus one related to the client I'm working for, and on top I'd like to split up my home calendar into sub calendars.

I'm betting in typical Nokia fashion, Symbian^3 will have multiple calendars but MfE will be forgotten about and will blat over the whole lot as one calendar.

I think I'll wait for Symbian^4 though for my next upgrade.

So for my E72, Ovi calendar isn't going to support multiple calendars in the phone I take it? Obviously the phone SW doesn't, but wondered if it might cope with at least putting flags on calendar entries to indicate which calendar it goes into (doesn't GooSync or something do this?).

I'd rather a Google Calendar sync though. Having my calendar available online in Ovi is pretty useless. I use Thunderbird and Google, and even if I wanted to share a calendar, it's very unlikely they'll be using or care at all about Ovi.