All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 13-04-2010, 11:09 AM

RushArt is on a distinguished road
Then, what's the real difference between this and E72?
(I mean the major one, not the minor one like the longer spacebar)
Are the price this low is simply it's launched much longer after E72?

Old 13-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Ian2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croog View Post
jerm: no, it's not. I still have 4 years old S60v3 with 352x416 resolution. I hate QVGA!! Nokia, shame on you. :(
I also have my old E60 somewhere with nice hi-res screen. QVGA is a bad joke in 2010...

Old 13-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Unregistered

I have an E63 and have been quite happy with it. The only thing I wanted improved was the camera so the E5 is very interesting for me.

Old 13-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Unregistered

Anyone know if the E66 is gonna get an upgrade soon? it was released 2years ago and its a beauty still and never received an upgrade like the E71 did with the E72! I would love if nokia came out with an E6-7 QWERTY slider hybrid predecessor, that would be bomb!

Old 13-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Pilipino

E72 knockoff c'mon nokia bring on the N8

Old 13-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Unregistered

hmmmmm

I'm not hugely impressed with the device, but I think it's a step back in the right direction, as the 600Mhz cpu with loads of RAM plus a smaller resolution screen would mean a very smooth experience. I know no one is impressed with it, but at least I feel more confident that they'll get this right, although I could be completely wrong about that too. I might actually dump my N95 and N97 for this. This device feels more realistic as an attainable goal than some of the other lofty announcements Nokia has been making to try to re-assure investors and consumers that it's still in the game. As for the C6, I think Nokia should really just put S60v5 out to the pasture, put it out of it's misery, and just concentrate on Maemo and Symbian^4. They really should just stick with what they're good at. As for the price point, let's just see what it really goes for when it's released. I remember Nokia lying about pricing with the N97 as well.

-Gene
Ads

Old 13-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Unregistered

Chill

Notice what letter is missing from new models? N. Get over yourselves. Not every Nokia phone released is for people with cash falling out of their pockets. These should do well in many parts of world, reaching the stated goal of "everyone connect." I've been relatively happy with an E63 (rough edges of software aside) but free navigation is desirable.

Old 13-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Unregistered

A QWERTY E-Series for Everyone

Not everyone wants a mega-spec super phone, this looks like a possible upgrade for my E71 when the time is right. Price plus some good all-round specifications should make this a winner. CPU speed? Your average punter doesnt care when buying a phone, they just want something that works and having a keyboard will appeal to those who want to use social networking apps on a regular basis.

Not all of Nokia's phone need to be high-end phones -or they will price their way out of the market.

Old 14-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Unregistered

Better screen for my e71 please Nokia please. Doesn't Nokia get it! The blackberry screen looks so much better. Shame on u Nokia, your screen resolution should be better.

Old 14-04-2010, 03:21 AM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
LOL... I have been away from Symbian for a while now but decided to check this site today.

I see I haven't missed much. 2.36 QVGA display? Surely this is a joke or is Nokia still stuck in 2002?

Old 14-04-2010, 06:03 AM

nancyth is on a distinguished road
Nokia E5 is yet another Symbian-powered messaging phone that will come with a 2.4" QVGA display, where you can remain connected from either HSDPA or Wi-Fi to stay online, while a built-in GPS chipset lets you move from one place to another in full confidence that you can't get too lost. Apart from that, a 3.5mm headset jack, a 5-megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash and a microSD memory card slot rounds off the list of features. Hopefully it will be as nice to use as the Nokia E72, but the 180 clearly points this to be a mid-range unit as it is being prepped for a Q3 2010 release.

Old 14-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Unregistered

E63 upgrade?

I'm in the "This is quite a good upgrade" camp. I own a E63 and yes I'd like a better camera, free maps, GPS etc and this appears to offer a big upgrade. Not all of us can just rush out and buy the top phone whether it's an iphone or top HTC , N97etc. Yes the Blackberry's look good but they _cost more_, the cheap curve uses the same resolution as the e71/e63/e6 and still costs more and has no 3G . Have you looked at Blackberry's Maps service, download as you go when I looked...

Old 14-04-2010, 03:03 PM

deadkenny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushArt View Post
Then, what's the real difference between this and E72?
(I mean the major one, not the minor one like the longer spacebar)
Are the price this low is simply it's launched much longer after E72?
Cheaper, twice the internal memory, and looks like it will have updated firmware and apps. Still 3rd Ed FP2 but I'm betting it will be much improved over the E72 in terms of software.

There's no hint that the E72 is getting any of the software upgrades. Still waiting for firmware updates that deliver the completed email client that actually works properly (the client is non upgradable on the E72 as it's integrated into the firmware, yet has been upgraded on 5th edition devices which aren't devices aimed at business users, unlike the E series!).

So basically if you're like many of us who's bought the E72 recently (remember it's still fairly new), then we've been ripped off and are left with an outdated buggy phone and the fix is to bin it and buy a new one.

Though the E5 does have some downsides. Larger, more plastic build, and I get the impression the battery life may be shorter.

The cheaper price means cheaper components and build quality so could be the E5 will be more likely to fail in hardware, whilst the E72 is just a failure in software (personally I love the E72 hardware, aside from a slightly not perfect battery cover, but at least it's metal and looks smart).

Mind you, given the delay between announcement and launch, the E5 will be very old by then and Symbian^3 handsets are coming out around then which will just make 3rd Ed FP2 look very dated.

Last edited by deadkenny; 14-04-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Old 14-04-2010, 03:03 PM

ronnie_1712 is on a distinguished road
timing....:'!!!!!????

well nokia must have been clever to do what is has done.......including the best of e63, e71, and e72. integrating SNS with the phonebook is yet another welcome addition. It stands as a perfect upgrade to my e63, at just about the same cost. However the worst part of the deal is releasing it in Q3......?!!!....if this was nokia's decision to release it so late in the year, then who said it to announce now!????Marketing strategy gone haywire, nokia?? Get up, before its too late!!!!

Old 22-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Unregistered

Nokia E5

waiting for this mobile to come into market, apart from the features mentioned here the other features of this phone are http://here4mobile.in/2010/04/nokia-...hone-features/ .