All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 28-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Review: Sony Ericsson Vivaz, part 4: Applications and wrap-up

If you've been following my continuing review of the Sony Ericsson Vivaz, you'll know that it has a small but perfectly formed body and a great camera/camcorder, plus a glitzy new homescreen and media suite. But how does it stack up as an overall smartphone, in comparison to devices like the Nokia X6? What about application load-out and compatibility? Here's the final part of my Vivaz review.

Read on in the full article.

Old 28-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Unregistered

There are a number of advantages to resitive touch screens over capacitive that are frequently overlooked. Not only that, I have several examples of each type of screen available to me, and I am 100% positive that there is not that much difference in normal use.

Old 28-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Unregistered

Resistive >>> Capacitive in my books

Old 28-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Unregistered

Well, if resistive is so good, why are all the phone manufacturers using capacitive on their newest and most expensive devices?

Old 28-03-2010, 06:58 PM

bluejacker is on a distinguished road
Just because many manufactures are using capacitive doesn't mean it's better. Just look at all the glossy laptop screens... Both resistive and capacitive have advantages and disadvantages.

Old 28-03-2010, 07:06 PM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
Personally I prefer a resistive screen too, never liked the screen on my Ipod Touch. Turn the vibration off and I think you get a better experience as well.

The menu screens can be solved by something like the free Vmenu app, but personally I have been testing it for a few days and keep reverting back to the scroll bars. I don't know why but I do like the scrollbars lol

I do find the contacts area of Symbian to be a bit weak, with only a list and groups on the main page, internally is fine. Is there any app to improve this area?

I also didn't like the basic alarm app so I have replaced it too.

I will check out Mobile Shell when it arrives for S60 V5 but for now I am very happy in general with the Vivaz.

I do have a 16gb card but haven't bothered replacing the default 8gb one yet.

Lets hope SE further refine the firmware in a future release, my camera memory issue seems to have fixed itself since I reset to default settings, but all in all it is an excellent little phone.

Old 28-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Unregistered

Regardless, the highend market is rapidly moving (or even moved) to capacitive screens. You can't deny that.

Old 28-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Regardless, the highend market is rapidly moving (or even moved) to capacitive screens. You can't deny that.
Depends what part of the world you are in.
Ads

Old 29-03-2010, 03:14 PM
iFanboy

"Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Depends what part of the world you are in."

Well yeah, if you're selling mobiles in a country that can't even afford their own personal computer than you'd be mad to release a premium high end device...but if you release a device that has a cheap resistive screen, slow old processor, minute amount of RAM and poor build quality then yeah you'll sell a ton and people will proclaim the superiority of resistive screens :-)

Old 29-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Unregistered

^^ Wow ignorant comment by an ignorant American fanboy at its finest.

Please visit Asia and see how much developed and high end the mobile phones there, before spouting such nonsense.

Resistive screens are important to many Asians due to the need for handwriting recognitions.

Old 29-03-2010, 04:45 PM
iFanboy

"^^ Wow ignorant comment by an ignorant American fanboy at its finest."

I'm English, actually :-)

"Please visit Asia and see how much developed and high end the mobile phones there, before spouting such nonsense."

I'm pretty sure many of the fine people In Asia can afford their own personal computer (and have one too) which shows my comments were not aimed at that country ;-)

"Resistive screens are important to many Asians due to the need for handwriting recognitions."

You do realise you can have HW recognition software on capacitive screens too, right?

Old 29-03-2010, 04:52 PM

dlff is on a distinguished road
I am very much a Nokia man. I have to migrate to SE for the time being until Nokia comes out with her 12mp camera phone most probably in Q3 or Q4. I am using a Satio now & despite two SW upgrades. Is still not up to it. Secondly, I have experienced whereby the camera cover accidently opened inside my pants pocket. This problem can be overcome easily by using a phone case which I don't. I am attracted to the Vivaz because of its form factor, better battery capacity, more responsive UI & hopefully not too buggy like the Satio.
I have asked Steve in my previous posting whether is worthwhile to change from a Satio to a Vivaz. He replied "YES" without any hesitation.
Vivaz is still not available yet in my country & according to my regular phone vendor is anyday now. I have asked him to get me a Cosmic Black.

Old 29-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Unregistered

I have used phones with both capacitive and resistive screens and honestly I prefer the accuracy of resistive to the sensitivity of capacitive. Resistive just allows me to use drawing applications (which frankly requires a stylus if you want anything other than what will look like a doodle by a 3 year old).

Both can exists, but just because capacitive are more popular with high end phones does not automatically make them better. Just like one commentator above said about glossy screens - they are extremely popular but works poorly in certain environment and lighting conditions, namely the office and outdoors.

Old 29-03-2010, 10:35 PM
iFanboy

"I have used phones with both capacitive and resistive screens and honestly I prefer the accuracy of resistive to the sensitivity of capacitive. Resistive just allows me to use drawing applications (which frankly requires a stylus if you want anything other than what will look like a doodle by a 3 year old)."

Are you kidding me? Do yourself a favour and google "Brushes for iPhone" and then tell me capacitive screens can only produce drawings of a 3 year old...

Old 29-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Unregistered

while the discussion against capacitive screens is pretty ludicrous, the need of being able to use a stylus on a touchscreen when needed is probably still valid for many reasons, especially for small touchscreens. I like capacitive for it's finger friendliness, but I like to still be able to use a stylus once in a while when I need to. Why is that so hard?!