All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 18-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
"your opinion on it as a smartphone in comparison to the n86"

Tough call. Both have huge pros and cons.

"than say what the n97 and XM series runs on. so i wanted to know if it would be worth the trade, or if i should wait till Q3 when symbian (hopefully) releases its new OS?"

Right now, I'd wait, unless you need that HD recording.

"BUT - I don't know if I would want to give up all the services that are now provided by Nokia. The push email (on its good days) and services like Ovi Maps and even Ovi Store are now becoming very useful - essential even. "

Indeed. A big factor for many.

"Then there's the question of software comatability. It's hard enough getting people to release software for S60 V3 (I'm an E52 user) instead of just V5 and I already have to jump through far too many hoops to get things like podcasting working - I can only imagine what that process will be like as a Vivaz owner. I don't want to be the small voice shouting 'but what about the Vivaz' at software developers."

There will always be an element of that, but the big apps will be compatible (the Gravitys and Google Maps and Opera minis of this world etc)

Steve

Old 18-03-2010, 09:20 AM

maartenmk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
steve, a lot of us are reluctant to register after the site and user details got hacked last year.
Then don't specify any sensitive details, and choose a different username. Or simply put your name under the comment. Then at least it is clear which 'unregistered' is making the comment.

Old 18-03-2010, 10:58 AM

DamianDinning is on a distinguished road
N86 low light

I'm not going to comment on Sony Ericsson's product here but will comment on ours.

The guidance I provide to the guys who do the exhaustive tuning work is to create somethign that is as close to the 'minds eye' as possible. In terms of colour this means we prioritise colour which is vibrant but not so it starts to look false as I sometimes see. An excellent example of this is a red rose shot on a cloudy day. How it actually was is often much less virbatn than we remember it. So we have to work out how to reproduce colours for different subject in different conditions as we believe you remember them. Of course we don;t always get it right but we are getting better I believe :-)

In the area of low light, this is another challenge. How different to the real lighting do you make it? Is brighter better in this situation? Some situations it maybe but others it may not. You also have the issue of noise to balance too. Do you enhance the brightness but then also increase the noise or do you still strive for natural which still gives the flexibility for the end user to enhance it according to their taste later on??

I'm sure you'll all have varying views on this, as we do ourselves...

atb

D

Old 18-03-2010, 02:08 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianDinning View Post
I'm not going to comment on Sony Ericsson's product here but will comment on ours.

The guidance I provide to the guys who do the exhaustive tuning work is to create somethign that is as close to the 'minds eye' as possible. In terms of colour this means we prioritise colour which is vibrant but not so it starts to look false as I sometimes see. An excellent example of this is a red rose shot on a cloudy day. How it actually was is often much less virbatn than we remember it. So we have to work out how to reproduce colours for different subject in different conditions as we believe you remember them. Of course we don;t always get it right but we are getting better I believe :-)

In the area of low light, this is another challenge. How different to the real lighting do you make it? Is brighter better in this situation? Some situations it maybe but others it may not. You also have the issue of noise to balance too. Do you enhance the brightness but then also increase the noise or do you still strive for natural which still gives the flexibility for the end user to enhance it according to their taste later on??

I'm sure you'll all have varying views on this, as we do ourselves...
Everyone does have different views, and there is never really such a thing as "right" in imaging. Everyone has preferences for colour balance.

Sony, Nikon, Kodak, etc. - all treat images slightly different.

I think the faster lens on the N86 was a good move, and its the route that all manufacturers should be trying to go. The only other thing that Symbian needs to add is control over image compression.
Ads

Old 18-03-2010, 02:53 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
I know it is very trivial by why on earth dont SE put the focus options on the main interface, you have to drill into options to select macro which is very irritating

Old 18-03-2010, 03:55 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Steve,

Can you comment on the camera start up time, time to focus, and shot to shot time?

Also, when you do the next part of your review please please please remember to test the signal strength, call quality, ring tone volume and speaker phone volume.

These are fundamentals for phones that seem to get missed from most reviews.

xerxes

Old 18-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Signal strength seems fine so far, but then it usually is with Sony Ericsson (as with Nokia). Speaker volume isn't brilliant, but it's comparable to N97 etc. Not a patch on 5800 though.

Old 18-03-2010, 07:37 PM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
I have to admit I am not overally concerned with the small niggles with the interface, this is the first phone I have seen in years that really said buy me.

The design is so cool and SE have a winner here, I don't mind paying a few extra quid to solve some of the issues using premium apps and in fact I would probably commission and app like nokia social messaging done in flash lite some day for the homepage. Especially when I get my business launched.

I am confident SE will fix the issue with the Camera light in a future firmware update as they must know the styling of this phone is just fantastic.

I have already purchased a number of apps and the phone hasn't arrived yet.

I have been reading this site for a few days now and want to thank Steve for his hard work here. There is no doubting the technology in this phone and that's what I look for, software can always be fixed, whether by SE or by another developer.

Old 18-03-2010, 11:16 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Signal strength seems fine so far, but then it usually is with Sony Ericsson (as with Nokia). Speaker volume isn't brilliant, but it's comparable to N97 etc. Not a patch on 5800 though.
Thanks Steve, that's good to know. Any info on the camera speed?

Old 19-03-2010, 05:22 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Steve (and all), regarding the continuous auto focus in video - didnt the Nokia n93i have continuous auto focus as well?

Somebody please confirm...

Old 19-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Camera speed is very good - the fastest camera phone I've ever used.

The N93i prototypes had continuous a-f, but it was removed for all production devices.

I'm writing up part 3 of the review now. Be warned that it's a lot more negative - the Vivaz has a lot of rough edges still.

Old 19-03-2010, 08:30 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
I'm writing up part 3 of the review now. Be warned that it's a lot more negative - the Vivaz has a lot of rough edges still.
It almost pains me to say, but thats pretty much typical for any Symbian touch device these days

Old 19-03-2010, 01:45 PM

davekolmer is on a distinguished road
I agree with you, Shiner

I think the Vivaz is perhaps the nicest smartphone hardware I've seen to date. Absolutely stunning. It seems far superior to most Nokia handsets. If only it could run Ovi Maps and other Nokia software. But it would be a niche indeed.

Old 19-03-2010, 04:00 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
I'll suspend most of my comments until Steve's completed his last part but I do really want to like this handset, it's great to look at and a much needed shot in the arm for Sony and vitally important I think for the Symbian Foundation that the only manufacturer other than Nokia stays with Symbian.

I do sometimes think that AAS can be a little harsh on SE with their Symbian handsets in comparison to Nokia reviews, look at the slack cut to the N97 initially (before Steve's mega review with N97 and mini 5 months later) versus the Satio.

I toally agree that instability is unacceptable in PHONE's and it does seem unfortunately that that a lot of Symbian handsets have been pretty flakey recently. Now whether this is a problem with the core OS or a problem with customisations for manufacturers is unclear and I'm not sure it matters but all three makers who've used Symbian in the last year have experienced major handset problems probably/certainly leading to lost sales and one of them; Samsung, have announced no new Symbian handsets going forwards. If another of them, SE, have major problems with their first two handsets on SF then it doesn't look good (particulalrly if they can get Android to work for them).

Old 19-03-2010, 07:06 PM
iFanboy

Slitchfield said:

"Camera speed is very good - the fastest camera phone I've ever used."

Faster than an iPhone 3GS camera?